Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

R9 Overall feedback

Discussion in 'Release 9 Feedback' started by da.n.ynu.tk.os.@gmail.com, Aug 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. da.n.ynu.tk.os.@gmail.com

da.n.ynu.tk.os.@gmail.com Avatar

1. Atmosphere is good. The graphics, sound, effects, all continue to impress. The progress from R1 to now has been tremendous and this is going to be a very enjoyable game to play, aesthetically.

I continue to have some shadow or lighting issues as every town I go into has shrubs and flowers that flicker nonstop between dark and brightly lit. I'm sure this is just a graphical glitch that will be fixed though.

2. Houses and decorations are great, I love the way houses have come along. I like the designs of pretty much all the houses and I actually like the way that they climb progressively higher and higher. I think that having so many house designs reaching for the sky gives the game a more epic feel to it.

3. Crafting has gotten better with the recipe book and just getting used to it.

I still don't like the idea that I mix random materials and "discover" new recipes, it doesn't make any logical sense to me. In the real world you don't throw a few sticks and nails in a pile and come out with an armoire. The system is tolerable though, and once the recipes are all known they will be easy enough to look up on the Wiki and get into my recipe book without the stupid "discovery" process. It should be noted by the devs that the vast majority of people will simply go online to find recipes rather than go through the tedious process of discovering them in-game. That should be a warning sign to the devs that the system as implemented is not fun.

4. Combat. I tried very hard to think of a good point to bring up about combat. Team PvP with my guild members was fun, I guess? Until other people showed up and we had to stop testing skills on each other and use the combat system for real combat...

This combat system is still by far the worst combat mechanic I have played of any game, ever. It is not innovative, or fun, it is pure crap. I say this having been with the game right from R1 until now, and having played many other MMORPG's including UO and Tablua Rasa, as well as many single player games including the Ultima series. I am a huge Garriott fan and have no problem saying that this combat system is some of his absolute worst work.

It has been said many times already, and i'm sure it will be said again, but having random control over your skills makes no logical sense, is not intuitive at all, and is not at all a fun mechanic to play with.

Both R8 and R9 now I have had to walk my guild members through the process of setting up and using the decks, and answering the questions such as:
    "why can't I use ranged/melee skills when I want to?"
    "why can't I cast 'X' spell once i've learned it?"
    "why can't I use <context specific ability/spell> when it's actually appropriate?"
    "why is <X spell or ability> coming up when I cant even use it in these circumstances?"

and so on and so on...

There is absolutely nothing good about a combat system that takes away control from the player. There is nothing intuitive about this system, there is nothing logical about this system, and there is nothing that makes this system any more fun than a traditional combat system.

I constantly see people saying they don't want a static hot-bar system because its... boring, or old, or takes no skill, or whatever, and I agree with that in general. Yet there is not one good argument that makes this randomized card system better than a traditional one. If you are going to innovate, at least make a system that is slightly better than the norm!

As of right now, though my guild has a number of high level pledges and has even purchased a metropolis, we will not be participating very often in combat if this is the broken system we have to deal with.

Not a single person in my guild has yet found the randomized card combat system to be fun.

- It removes your control from your own learned skills and abilities.
    - It puts your focus and attention squarely on your hot-bar for the duration of the fight, rather than the actual fight itself.
    - It is not intuitive or logical or at all approaching any sort of realistic combat simulation.

That said, I don't like to complain without offering solutions, and I don't like to be accused of complaining without having a solution.

So my solution, as well as a more in-depth analysis of everything I think is wrong with this system and why, can be found at https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...y-card-combat-feedback-and-suggestions.13383/

It is my feedback from R8, and having tested through R8 and now R9, my criticisms of the combat system and my suggestions for improving it remain exactly the same.

5. The music is awesome and brings me right back to UO days.

EDIT- Forgot to add, for combat, the auto attack range, feels too short. If I double click to attack something, it moves in to melee range of me and starts hitting me, but i'm still too far away to auto-attack back with my sword? That is just annoying. The auto-attack range needs to be increased to at least the range that monsters close with you.

2. Zentara

Zentara Avatar

This was my first taste of the game, and what you have said here re the combat echoes my sentiments exactly. Combat was not only not any fun, it was a chore. I felt completely removed from the fight. No immersion whatsoever. I read that you could make some glyphs 'stick' so that they don't randomise but it seems you need to spend skill points on this - and I didn't have enough to do so.

Perhaps if you could choose certain base combat actions to 'stick' from the start, with no need for allocating points, that would help? So, say, you choose flurry and rend as permanent plus a fire arrow to give yourself a ranged attack. Maybe half of your skills hotbar always permanent, the others random. Although personally I would much prefer the whole range of attacks under my permanent control.

As it is, the combat system for me does not work. It feels flawed, awkward and detracts from the overall feel of the game.

Thanks for reading.

Apollyon9515, AdamZax and ByTor [MGT] like this.
  3. Oakwind

Oakwind Avatar

I think if you have a town lot and all you see is village lots you can turn it into a town lot. I bought a town lot and there is no lots out there for the package I bought.
    Help me out here , Please

[​IMG]

4. StaticGrazer

StaticGrazer Avatar

I liked combat for the most part, there are some bufs I've made reports for already, but I wanted to share these thoughts.
    I know we're early in thd development of combat, but I have not seem anything aimed at buffing skills or stats of other players.
    Also, I often felt myself not really in combat. Maybe it was the sounds not hitting at the right time, maybe it was because I knew there was no real consequence to dying...either way when I was hi, I didn't FEEL like I was hit.
    I'm sure these things will be delt with in the future, but they are the real things, combat wise that really ripped me out of the experiencd.

AdamZax likes this.
  5. Sarg

Sarg Avatar

Oakwind, in these Alpha sessions, people can claim any lot, regardless of what they purchased for the live game. As a result, people are naturally claiming the larger lots first. 80% of folks claiming those lots are probably not entitled to Town lots come release time. You should have no problem finding a town lot then - they're reasonably common. It's City lots and up that are rather rare.

Oakwind likes this.
  6. Samlee

Samlee Avatar

Zentara, you can lock in your Deck Skills (glyphs), and eliminate the random generation completely. You can also lock in just a few skills, and allow the rest to be random.

Zentara likes this.
  7. Ulf Berht

Ulf Berht Avatar

AdamZax, I appreciate the thoughtfulness and tone of your posts. I have never liked PvP in any other game but I do find the card/glyph intriguing enough that I will now try PvP. Mortal close range and hand to hand fighting is fraught with unexpected events and laud Port. for trying to build this into a computer game.

What I did not like was the cools downs implemented in R9. Your suggestion (I think) to only have those glyphs associated with equipped weapons and armor sounds like a good idea. I also wonder if the terrain/location of the fight might be linked to the number of slugs that appear. In a controlled area like an arena few or no slugs whereas out in the wild there would be more. I would like to see an armored unhorsed knight catch anyone who does not want to be caught.

Lord Baldrith and AdamZax like this.
  8. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Big Agree. The game of 'Guess' is what I call it. I am holding out for the events and advancements to crafting tho and still hoping they will make it less guess and more skill. Looking everything up on Wiki definately points out that there is something wrong with a crafting system. It should not be that way. Crafting should be able to be done in game no outside of game.

9. Zentara

Zentara Avatar

Samlee, thanks for that, hopefully I'll have a chance this weekend to check that out. Will go through the help and info if I can - is it via focus? I think that's what I read elsewhere...
    Thanks again.

10. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

What game is this screenshot from?

11. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I wondered that too, but I didn't ask.

&*$% Lord Darkmoon, stealing all my ideas. *Puts hands in pockets and kicks a can down the street muttering* I'll just start my own thread... with blackjack... and hookers. Ya know what? Forget the blackjack! :p

12. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Cool sig, bro ;)

docdoom77 likes this.
  13. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Lord_Darkmoon likes this.
  14. Margard

Margard Avatar

15. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Nowhere near the full game map is available in
    Keep in mind that pre-alpha means that you see game systems being built, not necessarily content build out. Absolutely nowhere near the full extent of the game world is available yet. When it is, you will see many more towns with many more lots. Until then, in the small space available to us for systems testing, you have to be quick in finding a lot larger than village, unfortunately. The important thing though is that we are testing the system though. Try picking a village lot and seeing if you test out housing there, knowing it is not your final destination for the real game.

16. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Good feedback on the combat system.

I worry about the combat deck system for melees on the run in PVP still. But the seeming randomness of the deck system doesn't bother me otherwise. In many regards, having a combat skill on a long cool down timer in some games is not that much different than not having it pop up in my deck for awhile. If it is not available, it is not available, it doesn't matter if it is on cool down or waiting to pop up in the deck, its about the same thing. Sure it may see a little more random or less predictable, but it would be interesting to test of the actual time that a skill is available in game. Is it truly less accessible simply because it is in a deck system, vs. if it was fixed and just on a timer, or does it just seem that way. With the focus system in game, you can control some of this anyway, and even fix the skills, so it seems customizable for those who don't like it.

17. Oakwind

Oakwind Avatar

[​IMG]

Jynx likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.