Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Rage - DPS nerfed over 50%

Discussion in 'Release 50 Feedback Forum' started by Thief, Jan 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

Honestly, I dont think randomness is important to making combat fun; moreso I would say tactics, so where both you and your opponent are reacting to eachother and the environment.

D&D needed to rely to a heavy degree on random numbers, because in a play session you can't micromanage all the factors in combat. Games can do that type of micromanagment to a greater degree because the computer is simulating this realtime. So don't many FPS just have a fixed result to a shot? We're talking about a RPG and not a FPS and with a little more complexity... So randomness is still justified.. But I think it would be possible make a fun game with no DPS range and just fixed damage numbers if its made up for with tactics.

Budner and Salix like this.
  2. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Holy carp! 168 is about the most I do. What AL?

3. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

the sword base skill - Bladed Combat
    it was 130% before now like 70%

addrox and Boris Mondragon like this.
  4. Albus

Albus Avatar

Just two comments:
    1) Confirm similar experience to others, back stabbing on stunned targets crit is waaaay down (using sword, typically thrust or sneak attack on stunned target directly from behind).

2) Reducing damage variance probably *is* reducing overall dps, not just max hits. For a simple example, assume damage was 1-6, with an average of 3.5, and mitigation was a consistent 3. Your damage would have been 0,0,0,1,2,3 on an average spread of six blows, for a total damage of 6. Now say damage is 3-4 instead of 1-6, with same mitigation of 3. Your damage will now be 0,0,0,1,1,1, for a total damage of 3. In this example, simply shifting the range of damage (with same unmitigated average), while mitigation stays the same, your DPS is cut in half.

I do not know the math in the game and there are plenty of variables, this is a simpler example for comparison, but it does demonstrate clearly that lowering the range of damage while keeping mitigation the same will result in reduced dps. Soooo I submit that perceptions of lowered dps are largely accurate, if exaggerated for those looking only at max damage output. I'm not saying the change is necessarily bad what with all the balancing left to do, but this change will have lowered dps for attacks where range of damage has been reduced but mitigation has not. Just so people don't think it is all illusory ;)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  5. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

I confirm that attacks from behind feel like they are not working as before.

I tested that today and, for the first time, I had some back stab tries with NO critical hits, at all.

Numa and Rada Torment like this.
  6. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Well Devil we have a dilemma. First do they even know where the problem is (sees many in Port scratching their heads). Second, maybe they can reset the Body/Slam crit from the back ratios to R49 levels. Third, do they even have an ETA to fix this?

R/Boris/El Pirata

7. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

well i fought with swords yesterday and had same feeling as before, the damage seem lower cauase of less crit but was taking about same time to kill mob, didnt feel a diff imo

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  8. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

In my case it is taking twice or more time to kill the same mobs here in Crag Foothills. Al my initial attacks come out of body slam, thrust.

9. redfish

redfish Avatar

10. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

Good news you guys just trained second guy who is welcomed to openworld solo PVP after Fzol good job :D:D:D

11. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

My crit% on Torc today seemed better. Still talking a while longer to kill him but seemed better. Guessing attacking him in the back is much more difficult of someone else is master?

Still not liking him Parrying my Rends...

12. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Sarah; Was the parry while you were behind him?

13. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

You mean like the health bar fiasco ? o_O

You mean like the Feedback Forum ?
    Oh wait, we're in......................... :confused:

Boris Mondragon and Koss like this.
  14. BishopFaulken

BishopFaulken Avatar

I'm struggling to see where they increased the low-end damage if the base skill was cut in half and base damage on the actual weapon doesn't appear to have changed. Also, my crits are roughly half of what they used to be against a dragon (who is also dodging alot). So unless its' damage resist was increased by a few orders of magnitude, this is resulting in more than "a bit" of top end damage reduction.

15. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Didn't appear so other than the Rends.

16. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

I'm such a NOOB when it comes to combat but I did notice that I don't die very often in Etceter Crag Mines anymore... in fact, I haven't died since the start of Release 50...

17. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

I will give it another shot today and see if anything changed though do not expect any corrections until Port gets back on Monday. I assume that on weekends they only keep a skeleton crew to handle crashes..

18. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Further observations as of this morning two hour Crag Foothills run. Crits from hits while mob stunned from body slam slightly increased yet the mob still parries and gets glancing blows on hits from behind whilte stunned. Overall a 20 percent total damage output increase from yesterday. I believe they will do something about it on Monday when they get back to the office especially since there is a bug report on the matter.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    Numa and Ferohir like this.
  19. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

My own further observations show that you still get "slightly" more crits when attacking from behind (I didn't made any count, but it's the feeling).

I had this thought : maybe it's because the dex now counts in the defense maths. But I really don't know.

20. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

I am sure they (Port) should be getting into the office in an hour or so and whomever is in charge of this feedback forum will look into it at some point today. Ran Crag foothills again this morning and main observation besides low crits from behind while mob stunned are 1) They can still dodge/parry/glancing blow your shots while stunned and 2) Low crit percentage while stunned from behind/lower damage on thrust and offhand attack. Lets see what happens, maybe they will compare our discussion with the open bug report on it. R/Boris

Hornpipe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.