Raising Crafting Levels

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by grandmaJOY, Aug 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grandmaJOY

grandmaJOY Avatar

Much as I dread it, I need to raise my crafting levels. I've read there is something called an Obsidian potion that can help. Looking at Crown Store, there are many types. I think I want the one called Guidance -- is that correct? I got a lovely cupcake yesterday which should help also!

My Alchemy is stuck in the 90's with potion creating and gem creating doing little --so any tips on efficiently raising it higher would be welcome since Enchanting items is going to burn through my meager supplies of Gold quickly. And I'm adventure level 50 so options to acquire more gold are limited -- as is my patience for extreme farming:)

Thanks for reading and as always thank you for helping a newb navigate this complicated new realm.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Yes, it will consume more experience per craft, meaning you waste less materials per level gained!

This one requires time. You will need to increase your Producer experience pool. The bigger your pool, the more exp gets used per craft (much like the potion, so pairing both = zoomies). Players often recommend to have a producer pool of 6m or more exp before attempting to Grand Master enchantment skills or Masterworking skills. That can be done by doing a full lap of Elysium mines a few times per week (one full lap takes me about 12-15 minutes and grants somewhere around 600k producer exp), so do that once a day every day for a week and you are set. You could also do Etceter Crag Mines or Graff Gem Mines if you want gold instead of silver.

One thing to note, this weekend will be Double Exp weekend, so it will be the perfect time to go mine a ton so you can build up your producer pool, and then you'll be good to go to raise your skills!

Time Lord and grandmaJOY like this.
  3. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

The double xp is only for online. Just FYI.

See… another reason to come join and play with us online. We promise to be nice (you have no idea how great and helpful this community is. It’s still one of the best communities you will ever find in any mmo).

4. grandmaJOY

grandmaJOY Avatar

Thank you so much, Violet! You certainly have more confidence in me than I do because, uhm 6 million?! At my level I am thrilled to have 300k! I just advanced to 3+ areas so if these mines you mention are above that, I doubt I will be able to do them.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

each level takes 1.1 times the experience of the level before, so alchemy to level 90 takes, total, 467 thousand, but to 100 takes 1.2 million. if you're stuck in the nineties, you've leveled it to (and maybe past) what is reasonable for you right now.

6. grandmaJOY

grandmaJOY Avatar

Anpu, thank you for clarifying! And you are very good at promoting the lovely online experience. I did actually start an online toon originally. And it was everything I feared: too many people running around killing everything so there was lots of standing around waiting for respawns and of course, high level toons zooooming through and taking all the nodes which made it very tedious and exhausting just to get the nodes to finish the beginning quests that require it. Just as important however, is the fact that playing single player does not have FOMO that strangles me in online play.

When I eventually tire of not having easy access to player vendors (and thus I must do the dreaded crafting) I will no doubt dip my toes back in the online experience.

Until then, I appreciate all the help and guidance you offer so generously.

Time Lord and Anpu like this.
  7. grandmaJOY

grandmaJOY Avatar

Good to know, whew 1.2 million sounds quite large. I shall put aside crafting for a bit and let my naturally feral nature jump back into combat and questing:) Without the better gear that crafting would provide, combat will keep me on my toes for certain!

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I would recommend, especially for offline, to craft and ignore our tips. When I did a solo playthrough, one of the biggest power increases was switching from scraps or vendor gear to crafted gear for multiple reasons :

1. Crafted gear receives component bonuses
    2. Enchants and masterworks give additional power

And even if you aren't skilled in those masterworks and Enchants, you are still getting them, which with npc gear you do not (also, Barugon made me notice that NPC gear in some scenarios was inherently weaker than crafted gear just on its base stats).

Craft away GramdmaJoy, it will help you!

9. grandmaJOY

grandmaJOY Avatar

Thank you, Violet! I am trying to upgrade my Necklace of Civility since it looked simple enough (my smelting is 73). But when I put all the ingredients in, it won't craft. I do not know how to get the recipe as no vendors sell it, BUT is says it is re-teachable which I thought meant "discoverable" -- am I getting that wrong?

FrostII, Time Lord and Violet Ronso like this.
  10. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

For an artifact upgrade you should have :

4 copies of the same tier of an artifact (4 commons)
    100 chunks of coal
    1 ancient essence
    1 stone chisel

And place all of these on a smelting station. Once this is done, the Craft button should lighten up and allow the craft.

*One thing to note, although the stone chisel is said to be a tool, since you cannot equip it, you have to place it on the table like other components. This is true for other recipes, if the tool can't be equipped, place it on the table with the rest!

Time Lord, grandmaJOY and Barugon like this.
  11. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I am very very sad that you had such a bad experience as a new player trying to play our game online in an outskirts. But we can at least let @Elgarion know that such activities were what turned a new player away from our online game.

But if you do decide to come back online I and any of the wonderful and knowledgeable people here would be more that happy to help you out.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  12. grandmaJOY

grandmaJOY Avatar

Yes indeed I used the recipe here: https://sotawiki.net/sota/Necklace_of_Civility,_Uncommon
    to see what was needed. So thank you for confirming it is possible AND I'm doing it right. Although clearly something is wrong!

Time Lord likes this.
  13. grandmaJOY

grandmaJOY Avatar

Ah Ha! I was putting in more than enough coal and Ancient essence and *that* was the problem. Unlike other recipes I've made, it wanted everything exactly with no extras. In hindsight this makes sense because I was "discovering". Yay!! Now I must get more amulets and upgrade it all the way! I shall feel like a Goddess soon with all this health and focus, rawwr:D:D:D

FBohler, FrostII, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  14. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

ah, but you don't have to share with them!

[​IMG]

if you set your matchmaking preference to party, then only you and anyone you choose to form a party in will be in your own private instance for adventure scenes and you can go at your own pace. you'll still be sharing public scenes in the outskirts, towns, pvp zones, and overworld. you can interact with other players socially and participate in the market as little/much as you want. on the other hand... offline has MUCH better loots drops, especially crowns, so progress is slower online.

...that's a bit harder. but finding a like-minded group of people will help; not every player is full-speed gains all the time.

FBohler, FrostII, Time Lord and 4 others like this.
  15. grandmaJOY

grandmaJOY Avatar

I feel like the Double A Collective (Alley and Anpu) is slowing working its mind-powers over me...*blink* "Yes, online sounds like fun" *blink*o_O

But in all seriousness, I appreciate you pointing this feature out to me Alley THANK YOU! In my 15 years of gaming I've played many MMOs addictively for years at a time, whereas I've only enjoyed 2 single-player games and neither for more than a couple months (though I've tried many more).

FBohler, FrostII, Time Lord and 4 others like this.
  16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I like online. It's just too easy to cheat in offline with this tool. [​IMG]

FBohler, grandmaJOY, FrostII and 3 others like this.
  17. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Let's start a petition to convince @grandmaJOY to come play with us online! :D

Violet Ronso and Anpu like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.