Random Discussion About Chris' Daily Blog

Discussion in 'Developer Depot' started by Chris, Apr 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

nahh most of us carry like 6 weapons on us at a time. Either way it gets around exploiting way of having a "pvp" backpack full of cheep items that you bring along with you when you want to pvp because you want to avoid the ransom system. That cannot be the "intended" game play.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  2. Baene Thorrstad

Baene Thorrstad Avatar

Aha, ok

As for the “intention”, I’m pretty sure I remember seeing comments from the devs that it was the intention, but that was a long time ago.

3. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

OK @Chris - I understand that you are trying to make these more of a reactive type skill but I'm a little concerned about increasing the cooldown to 30 seconds. For PVE, it's very possible that you might need to cast that buff more frequently on a boss mob that repeats a similar attack at a higher frequency than 30 seconds. For PVP, that will definitely be an issue when people have 2 big strike attacks and they fish out your buff with one, then hit you with the second one like 8 seconds later.

Also, how will players know when to anticipate players using heavy hitting spells? It's not like our big combos have a wind up / tell that we can use to anticipate them and know when to hit our instabuff. I honestly don't PVP much, but I'm just wondering how this change will affect PVP'ers ability to judge when to use these. Are you guys going to change all the animations of heavy hitting melee type skills to give people a chance to counter them with these defensive buffs?

4. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

As I understand it, the skill won't be weaker after that initial 2s/4x buff, right? So effectively, it won't work any differently than it is now, but if you use at the right moment, you'll mitigate more damage than you otherwise would have. So you could continue using it as you do now with no difference, unless I'm wrong.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  5. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator SOTA Developer Ambassador

... and then everyone logged in and raced from vendor to vendor buying up potions....

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  6. Chris

I'll make sure the duration is at least as much as the cooldown for locked decks. As for anticipation vs players, that will be on you guys to guess as we don't really have long enough cast times on most stuff to do a proper tell. When I tried slowing stuff down in the past it resulted in players screaming in agony so almost everything is fairly fast cast time. Most creatures have a fairly fixed attack speed and bigger stuff usually has tells and should be fairly easy to time. It is in PVP where it will be more tricky.

Daxxe Diggler and Sara Dreygon like this.
  7. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

@Chris

+1000 !!

8. eli

eli Avatar

some questions:

1- will stats be considered for the ransom amount? e.g. will a +1 wand cost the same ransom as a +15?

2- will the 4x defensive buff strength apply even if the buff is already active? e.g. could you chain together 5 casts for 10 seconds of 4x effect?

either way. these are awesome changes all-around. competitive and purposeful pvp! I can't believe this wasn't 9 out of the 10 pre-launch focuses, with how much work you're putting in. thank you a million times.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Sara Dreygon likes this.
  9. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

@Chris

Is something going to be done for the materials going into these potions? Perhaps change it form the tallons of the pheonix to maybe a feather ? Something that can drop every kill instead of 1/5 kills.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  10. Chris

I will look at it but they are still really powerful and should be fairly rare. There will be other resistance changes announced soon as well.

Sara Dreygon and Mac2 like this.
  11. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

Keep in mind that the effects do not persist through death and only last 10 min, This means if your loosing you are chewing up potions. Also the batch size of the recipe is only 3. You could make it so it's another component that would be used and have it drop at the same rate... Anything to move it away from the Component for Bone Gloves. Current math puts it at 7500 per a potion just on Talon mats if you find them cheep.

All i can say is .... YES ....

Sara Dreygon and Hornpipe like this.
  12. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

Why not use 15 and 30 resistance instead of 25 and 50 for normal crafted/dropped potions and use the 25 and 50 for exceptional craftings? Gives people a incentive to actually specialize in a craft.

Sara Dreygon and curt like this.
  13. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

ASDHGFJKAHGSDKFAGK YES YES YES YES YES YES *DIES*

14. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

@Chris

You know your doing all this AWESOME work .... I figured i would toss out this to make sure you are aware of a current problem with movement speed and the netcode. Currently there is a running theme of people stacking ridicules amounts of run speed in the game. This would be fine if the netcode was good enough to negotiate when i body slam them to the ground they should be at my feet and not completely down the hall from me. I think it would be in your best interest to incorporate two caps .... a Movement speed Reduction Cap and a Movement Speed increase Cap..... Currently the value of Ice magic is Almost nill due to brute forcing your speed over the Reduction.

I can't imagine the ridicules levels of run speed that even i as a melee can achieve are any good for the balance of the game in PVE or PVP. If you run fast enough you actually don't get hit by NPC's either... as the Server cannot negotiate the "hit" This also works on Running so fast that you can literally run over traps with out jumping. To include ground damaging traps like the steam traps in K'rul. With the Scenes being hosted by a master instead of the SotA Servers it does make it impossible to balance unless things get slowed down.

Numa and Sara Dreygon like this.
  15. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

lol
    You can alternate one with the other, you know. Not having all of these on at a time.

16. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Has movement speed been nerfed ? Im slow as a snail right now with sprint, fleet flute and berserk on (not encumbered) :(

17. Chris

Yep, two separate issues. First, we allow too much run boost and I need to prevent too many things from stacking. Second, some logic in the movement code isn't paying attention to move buffs and just basing it on base movement. Hope to get both of those fixed before launch but maybe not R50.

Cryodacry and Sara Dreygon like this.
  18. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

You say that because you are slow as hell.

Joke aside, one of the problem here is the ability to use dash on top of sprint, on top of wolf speed potion, on top of fleet flute, on top of speed movement bonus with boots, on top of @Chris mysterious effect... Erh, nevermind. Also, Sprint speed is ridiculous compared to Dash, even with very high acrobacy level. I'm not really fan of hard caps so I don't like speed reduction caps. But stacking logic must be limited and obviously, there is something to do here. That said, keep in mind that speed is one of the primary defense of light armors while heavy armor will keep a passive higher damage avoidance, resistance, max resistance... and I don't think dodge is an argument here, really.

19. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Takes ages now to get from one town to another. Fleet flute is worthless on world map..... Shouldnt we encourage people to travel and explore towns ? Being so slow can be a deterent... Also i have not tested yet but it will probably have a huge impact on collecting materials...

20. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

If you want... you can pvp flag and i'll show you why there needs to be a Cap on Movement Reduction...... There are some Movement reduction abilities that stack which can drop you below 100% .... which means no jumping no nothing..... you are stuck to the ground.

Sara Dreygon and eli like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.