Random Discussion About Chris' Daily Blog

Discussion in 'Developer Depot' started by Chris, Apr 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

And does that mean effective now, or starting with r50?

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  2. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

And here I want more run speed for moving around my town as a governor!

FrostII, Mac2 and Daxxe Diggler like this.
  3. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

@Chris at this point I'm frankly stopping doing PVP. You are moving the system more towards a greifer based system and that does not interest me. I can not fathom how you could think raising the ransom levels even higher is a good idea. It's already hard to convince people to PVP as it is. Raising the costs of loosing a fight basically removes a huge number of players that can afford to continue PVPing. So you will effectively reduce the number of players that actually can PVP. Unless you remove the pvp bonus experience from the attenuation calculations there is zero reward for continuing to flag pvp as it pushes you over the cap at high levels and at low levels you price out people with the ransom increases. So where is there a reward for taking the risk of PVPing? Everything is pointing to no reward. Pick pocket should be removed entirely from the pvp environment. It is a 100% greifing skill. Since game asset have a real money value and sales of assets are accepted by Portalarium it comes to a point where it's not of he took 10k gold from me it's he took $20.00 from me. This starts to moves the game mechanic into an actual real life criminal offense. While it would be a harder case to prove at this time it won't be long until it's not hard to prove. We have already seen governments in Europe declaring game asset random loot boxes that you pay for a type of gambling which was deemed illegal. Governments all over are quickly catching up to the digital world with laws to protect our real money game assets. Does it make long term business sense for Portalarium to continue to allow pick pocket in PVP? This skill could be changed to a PVE skill where players can pickpocket NPCs in towns and find a way to keep this skill in the game without the risk of law suits in the future. Now would be the time to change it before we have thousands of players exposed to real money theft.

Vaiden Luro, Xandra7, Bayard and 9 others like this.
  4. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Elrond
    Worthless ?
    Seriously ?

Solazur likes this.
  5. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

@Chris If everything is going to be 100% unlearn, then can we get a mechanism to refund all of the spent XP at once, and start over?

It actually takes a fair amount of time to unlearn things currently... The last thing we need now is an anti-grind to get XP refunds.

I'd be willing to pay up to 5 COTO for a "Potion of Utter Forgetting" or some such thing.

Vaiden Luro and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  6. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Lol, the anti-grind. That's a good one, I like it.

Yeah, we have the book of unlearning from certain times, but I think that it only works on one skill. I'm probably going to unlearn archery just so I can be more focused instead of all over the place.... but I don't want to also... I like being able to whip out a bow! Aaaaaaah decisions!

7. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Can't argue with this...
    • Same XP flagged or not with the attenuation (it's often better to NOT flag)
    • I don't loot people's tombstones (usually) so it's a one-way benefit for other players (i.e. great $$ if you're PKing people but why would anyone want to be a target?)
    • People can kill you and take your spot if you flag but cannot if you don't
    • If someone goes AFK at the wrong time you can lose spendy items or possibly get picked clean for $500+ worth of equipment
    Nothing that you cannot get with just dueling someone.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Vaiden Luro, Retro and Solazur like this.
  8. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Going AFK flagged is always the wrong time...

Now I havent played much last month but since when is it "great cash" pking even if ransom was 10x what ive seen it is pitiful to say the least

9. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

You are thinking too short sighted. It's also not about what you might be able to afford it's about what the majority of players can afford. If one is dying with multple 10k ransomes one is not going to be able to afford to pvp very long. Which will in turn cause more people to unflag. Making any pvper that still flag have even less encounters.

Retro, FrostII, Solazur and 1 other person like this.
  10. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Hum nah I'm thinking your forgetting the past and how many has left due to how it is now and has always been, a complete something bear fest :) Trying to get more people to join in aka the PVE folks is not something I would recommend. Talking is pointless tho the ship for any meaningful pvp sailed a long time ago as most of the pvpers have been banned or left on their own.

11. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

I disagree entirely there are tons of very active pvpers currently in the game. I'm not at all concerned with the people that left or what they want. They are not here playing so they don't really matter.

Retro, Bayard, Solazur and 2 others like this.
  12. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

You and I have very different ideas of tons of players then, if everyone in game flagged there still wouldnt be tons of players... I have been in battles with more players than SotA has total (the game didnt make it due to not enough players)

13. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

Tons to me is two teams of 8 fighting each other which I regularly engage in. I am sorry you are not finding what you wanted here. I am and am actually engaged in playing the game. Thanks for stoping by the forums.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  14. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Hmmm... cannot see half the conversation due to the sweet Ignore function however my friends list doesn't get added to often and I'm regularly at two pages full of "friends" on. When I get a party of 8 together, it takes all of 2 mins to get 7 to join.

15. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Ha I have way more hours in this game than what is considered healthy and been here since R1, I am stating this because you seem to imply I am only on the forums. Thanks for the clarification tho, we have VERY different views on tons. Good to see your arrogant friend there chiming in with his 8, yeah i have no problem getting a group of 8-16 people but that is a far cry from what I had in mind.

16. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

I'm totally missing why one would want to entice more PvPers by reducing the risks associated with flagging?

I get a sense that reducing the risks for flagging would only result in more of the wrong... Type... Of player flagging.

You know... The kind who likes to push others around and laugh in their faces when they win, but then tableflips and ragequits when they lose.

Nay- I say make PvP more rewarding for the newb, not less risky.

I would suggest doing the opposite of the upcoming crit tweak, but only when the target is another player. Widen the range for the multiplier, thus giving the underdog a better chance of landing a truly critical hit.. one that the assailant can't recover from.

tbh I think there are too many people that have been running around with endgame gear for too long to see some things clearly.

If you can't afford to lose your Warlock Chain, then you can't afford to use it, IMO.

Also, anybody who goes AFK while flagged deserves whatever is coming to them.

17. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

I am sure having to actively flag for PvP with a disclaimer covers this.

18. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Had missed that hahaha this made my day :D

19. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

Good day for Sota great plans, making ransom meaningful is one of the best I see from persistence. Very good job Chris.
    I`m feeling a smell of hard guild wars...

Rada Torment, Dhanas and LastChance like this.
  20. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Agreed. And gotta say I think it is in bad form to make vague threats alluding to recent issues with lootboxes.

This is not the same thing... At all.

Atrocious Humanity likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.