Random Discussion About Chris' Daily Blog

Discussion in 'Developer Depot' started by Chris, Apr 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Numa

Numa Avatar

I still remember a time when flagging yourself for PvP earned you a 20-25% boost in XP gains. A lot of people flagged then which proves that increasing rewards for PvP works a lot better than decreasing penalties. Should that XP boost come back ? No - but I'm sure there are other better ways of doing it.

Hornpipe and Solazur like this.
  2. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

It only increased sheep dressing up as wolves then crying/spamming when they got killed, with comments like leave me the F alone I am just flagged for extra XP..

Tbh incentives dont get worse than that

Alley Oop likes this.
  3. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

Best movement buff EVER in my signature.

Daxxe Diggler likes this.
  4. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

(is attempting to wait patiently for @Chris to give the resistance update)

@BurningToad What did you do to @Chris !!!!

5. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

yeah, that's not good for either side

LastChance likes this.
  6. Halfwitte

Halfwitte Avatar

Removed

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  7. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Great changes, keep'em coming :)

ZeCarlos and Spinok like this.
  8. Halfwitte

Halfwitte Avatar

Removed

9. Halfwitte

Halfwitte Avatar

Removed

10. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

heh that's kind of funny since i got a lot of salt from Mangar when i did to Cypher Black and Thereysa Clair what they did to Zygfryd of Shadow People....... I swear you guy's should change your recruiting slogan to the following.

Home of the Anhk Campers.... We don't fight unless we have superior numbers!

It was even more hillarious when Cypher tried to ankh kill me and got butchered instead.... Then ALL of Mangar got mobilized to hunt down 1 person who was already fighting a 2 v 1..... The lack of fortitude you guy's exhibit some times .... It's impressive Also don't play your selves off as a PVP guild .... by Cypher's Own words your not a pvp guild.

LastChance, Dhanas and Solazur like this.
  11. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

You know here is an intersting question ......

@Chris
    How would you feel about getting rid of the XP bonus for being PVP flagged ? As it is there is already enough dis-taste for the XP bonus. I wonder how many people will flag for pvp if their is no incentive other than the elective content of pvp. I know i am known to deflag for when i don't want to pvp and just want to farm... There is a sentiment amoung a lot of more casusal players that there is a need to PVP flag in order to keep up with the higher levels. I would Challenge that and just remove the xp incentive. maybe swap it out for an alternate system of nostalgia like points for titles or cosmetic items only attainable through pvp. The XP Incentive really creates some animosity in the community.

Some interesting cosmetic items could be bloodied dye.... exclusive paterns .... stuff like that.

Retro, LastChance and Mac2 like this.
  12. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

I'll take the bonus .... but honestly .... we should probably move away from that sort of incentive to get rid of the Non-PVP'rs that think they need to flag in order to be competitive in gaining xp. If the fear of PVP turning into even more of a graveyard then the incentive should be given that is not tied to character power / improvement. There are tons of cool systems that could be implemented like titles from the leader boards ... Cosmetic Items .... Home deco ....

Now i would suspect that the only people that would have a real problem with this would be the people whom are looking to gain an advantage over people who are not willing to flag.

Another cool system would be gaining points for PVE kills while PVP flagged. Using those points as currency for PVP exclusive items. Then add a Raiding system on it where when you kill someone you gain like 10 % of their current points and they loose 20% .... This would be a deflating system and would encourage people to flag and hunt while removing the XP ties to the Flag

(side note on that system) Killing blows should award the points. This will avoid people with PVP flagged alts just gaining points for them sitting AFK while having no risk.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Numa likes this.
  13. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Now let's see who - including new players - risks so much for a 10% XP bonus and literally nothing else.

I see this as good for thieves and active PVEers who want to slaughter other players and make better gold doing so but... who they gonna kill?

Agreed 100%. That's why most the people I hang out with aren't flagging anymore. Everything you just stated isn't worth 10% XP.

I guess there is the bonus of rare and limitless resources in PVP zones..... errr.... nm.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Retro, Numa, Jaanelle DeJure and 2 others like this.
  14. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Solazur and Mac2 like this.
  15. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

I think the changes will in the long run bring back the players that left because PVP was too casual. Truth is most ppl stopped playing and having more challenging PVP mechanics in the long run will keep people interested. I agree we need more features, but the changes are a step in the right direction. PVP will be consensual, but people who cannot lose shouldn't participate, nor should you cater the PVP towards them.

Hornpipe likes this.
  16. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Uuuhhh personally I'd like to see a clip of what happens to the poor sop that tries to jump your crew and gank your gear. :eek::D

I'd pay the ransoms myself just to get a good belly laugh!

Sara Dreygon and Solazur like this.
  17. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

hmmm... That Oracle daily is gonna need a serious shot in the arm. I mean hell.. the 500g/day seems to have been figured out because that's what it costs to pay lot tax on a row. Against that backdrop the idea that a 10k ransom on a warlock chain is quite a stretch. Personally idk.. I've got plenty to do w/o concerning myself about PvP at the moment. "Know thyself" (think that was Socrates) is a key phrase for me. I realize I'm not gonna have reflexes to compete with people 30 or 40 years younger than I am.
    The flagging I've done to date has been when I've been in party with friends who were flagged..cuz. it'd be lame to see your m8's get jumped and not be in the mix. I imagine. with practice I'll become at least proficient at some point . but currently I don't feel the need. I have no reason to flag... the 10% doesn't even matter. I get that PvP is everything for some people...just as griefing is but I get annoyed as well if I am "on task" (ya @Sara Dreygon .. I DO get on task sometimes ) and some kid wants to be all stupid... I just hope the solution we finally get is a good one.. for the sake of the entire community.

18. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

I am very afraid of the new resistance changes. It seems a lot more complex than I thought initially...

margaritte and Elnoth like this.
  19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well I am very excited and to hear that maxing out a skill opens up more skills if that is what will happen is wonderful news. Specializing has mattered to some players so much. So we shall see.

20. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I quoted off of your post just because I think you are trying to say that hardcore mechanics will pull more people to PvP and maybe it will, but in general, I disagree. From you comments, I derive the following two viewpoints, of which you seem to be the second.

1. Make it enticing for everyone, so that participation is wide and varied, or
    2. Make it only viable for a certain subset of the players, in essence creating an exclusive league.

I'm not a PvPer in general. I don't do it in SotA because I'm certain I am no competition for any of the top level and since I can't control to any real degree who I go up against or the penalty. I don't want to be fodder. It's not fun.

I would think that lowering the bar for entry would be the best way to go, because you would get more participation, but I guess there is a certain group that enjoys the smaller circle of generally the same folks.

I get the sense that the term PvP is used narrowly on this forum, usually with the focus on rewards dealing with loot. However, maybe the best way forward is to cater to the casual people who don't want to lose things. Perhaps the solution isn't one single PvP, full(ish) loot type system but rather another one with more structure and a goal that is something other than loot. You grab the casual/uncertain PvPer through these non-loss type systems and then hopefully convert them into the general PvP scene out world-wide.

For example, capture-the-flag or king-of-the-mountain type games. The satisfaction comes from winning and getting a token prize rather than picking something from someone's inventory. If I, as a non-PvPer, were to play these games, I might learn how to hold my own against a living-and-breathing opponent. That might entice me to flag as PvP outside of that. It's the toe in the pool that leads me to wade deeper in. In addition, this might be something for the established general PvPers to participate in to help lift people up and into the general world.

Anyway, it's my two-cents as someone who is not enticed right now to join, and feeling like I'm being pushed further away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.