Random Discussion About Chris' Daily Blog

Discussion in 'Developer Depot' started by Chris, Apr 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Numa

Numa Avatar

This is the only way it will work. If there is a structured environment for casual PvP then more people will dive into PvP. No need to modify combat mechanics around casual PvP - if the environment is setup properly then players can fight each other for a clear goal on a more or less even ground. Those wanting more can then progress to the unstructured PvP currently in place, but this mode should have more rewards since the risks are greater.

2. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Agreed.

Sara Dreygon and Numa like this.
  3. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

What would you propose?

It sounds to me like what you are really seeking is reciprocity for your losing of the items, not recompense for them becoming lost.

So like... when your items are claimed by the thief, the Oracle gives you tokens that you can take to an in-game "court" and redeem for xp. Something like that?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  4. Numa

Numa Avatar

Yes, the imps do :)

5. Ancev

Ancev Bug Hunter

I'd like there to be venues for many types of player conflict - unrestricted open world pvp, battleground types of pvp, structured and unstructured small scale pvp (pvp quests for smaller groups of players 2v2, 4v4, etc), dueling arenas, POT factions (being able to configure warring rules inside of a POT, multiple guilds could be part of feuding factions), and being able to define guard zones inside of POT's with a system of laws.

Gorthyn, Dhanas, Numa and 2 others like this.
  6. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

In generally I agree.
    Cloth mage now feel good, i love it much, same dynamics as archer, btw for sure has limitations (as everything in Sota)

100% yes, same as complains of guys that they will leave pvp if ransom will be as planned lol, on your place will come new guys who are not so mental weak.
    From the face of high tiers of our guild: we still will fight in best gear we can in openworld pvp, with warlocks hoods etc, even more we will even make better more expensive gear for pvp :D

P.S. A bit of first, a bit of second, i should count very good btw - when to enter/exit fight mistake in this will probably cause my death...

Dhanas likes this.
  7. Ameresta Trilon

Ameresta Trilon Avatar

Yes the magical guards that appear to fine your for stealing, either accidental or deliberate stealing, those guards STEAL gold from you to teach you not to steal. It's a great system.

8. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Wow lots of debate, very impressive points of argument.

Big issue is the game does have some big issues, I like the idea you as a character can specialize before with the classless system you kinda could because well it was a classless system with lots of trees but what I see now a bit especially with high xp generators and time is that everyone is taking all magic trees to 80 with the exception of a cpl trees. The game is designed where there is very little difference between 80 100 and 120.

I do love the ideas of mastery and that can be expanded on in the future. Areas of expertise give players the ability to really focus and can take thier tree into something more meaningfull to thier specific play style I think of bdf who wants to be a pure death mage where I play life and death so I would have to be more carefull how I use mastery. I dont believe my death/life with equal gear should be as good as his pure death build.

I get people hate change, I also think there are real reasons people dont like the game and dont log in. We are what 80 days from launch and have a unlimited free trial system yet we are only maintaining the same current player base we have had for the last 18months. We should be exploding being so close to launch. I am not blaming the current state on this specific topic, but I do think more depth is would be a good thing.

Jaanelle DeJure likes this.
  9. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Imps also steal gold, yea the theft system is neat.

Net and Vallo Frostbane like this.
  10. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

"Total time for 1 new piece of tech (one skill not gaining based on the level of another) and new passives is under 1 day. 11 icons needed."

@Chris This is actually what worries me most. This is not a good time to have a flip attitude about how quickly your team can translate the new combat design into code.

I'm still reeling from the continuing revelations of how many of the current combat formulas never worked as intended a/o described due to buggy code.

I mean... What were we "testing" this whole time? What good is player feedback if there is a huge disparity between how they are told something works, and how it actually works?

Please do not release this game with janky combat code and/or tooltips and status icons that do not accurately describe how the skills work.

All of these thoughtful design changes are meaningless if they are not accurately translated into code and clearly communicated to players using in-game tooltips.

Elnoth, Nikko, mystarr and 4 others like this.
  11. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

you are bypassing point of these skills by doing so .... He is wanting to implement a choice. This means you can spec in either life or death but not both. All you would be doing is adding a new power creep to the game where chris is adding a meaningful choice.

12. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

And here we go. Any failure on release date is already being set up to blame the "complainers". Did these new changes come about because of these complainers? If so, then you should thank those vocal minority with a perception problem. Because they enacted a change you apparently like. If the devs spent very little time on anything because of those complainers (forum moderation set aside) then how did those complainers delay the devs from doing anything and thus be further along than we are now?

I agree with you. Introduction of sanctioned RMT changes things. There are already a few court cases sprinkled here and there about in game theft and those in game items gotten with 100% in game time and energy. Like a Dutch case with RuneScape property. While at the time (2012) a UK court wouldn't prosecute for a waste of time, introducing items paid for by real money, they could (not necessarily would). And the legal view of things today is harsher on video games than 6 years ago.

And for those that say we shouldn't have laws dictating the game we play, we already have that. WOW had to change some of its stuff for certain countries. Even changes that affected ALL countries. Wolfenstein series had to completely be changed before Germany could even think about playing it. The already new laws coming about because of loot boxes and gambling. While I may agree that some of the laws governing games are silly, that fact is laws have been governing what we play, and even where we can play it, in some form for a very long time now.

13. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Don't strawman me, bro. ;)

Have no issue with people complaining about actual problems. I was referring specifically to the subset of "complainers" who made a big stink over the lack of hard caps based on false perceptions and an unwillingness to do simple arithmetic.

Retro likes this.
  14. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

@Chris

So i was talking with @Mac2 about the changes and we came up with the conclusion that Sun and Moon need some love if your going to go forward with this. Moon needs another damage spell. I was thinking of a long duration DOT that is magic based poison. ( stacks with other poison ) . In addition we feel that Sun needs another damaging ability. Like a Solar Flare that is a large AOE instant damage.

Tila Tenderfoot, Dhanas and Nikko like this.
  15. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

But did the devs spend a lot of time trying to work out those cap issues from those people? Forum noise doesn't mean devs spent time on it, which means forum noise didn't prevent the devs from being further along than they are now.

16. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Fair points. But based on results... What changes were actually getting made at the time... Seems to suggest that the development priorities we're indeed biased toward what was being most loudly complained about.

I could be wrong. Perhaps Chris had it in his mind to scrap the whole combat system 3 months before release all along.

Personally, it's no skin off my nose if release gets pushed back another quarter or two if it means robust quality control on the finished product.

So... You kind of have the double strawman going there by also presuming that I would complain about further delays. Which is kind of strange since I am clearly advocating for them.

17. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

@Cryodacry - I respect your opinions and passion for making this a better game. I also like that @Chris is trying his best to make combat fun and balanced at the same time. I know you approve of these impending changes and the ability to further specialize...

The issue I'm realizing there will be with these changes is simply the following though:

We don't have a "class" system in this game. The whole concept is that we can build any type of character and learn any skills we want to mix and match them the way we want. AND, the most important thing is we are supposed to be able to change that up any time we want (even in mid battle) by switching decks.

I know we have a choice whether to learn these new resistance skills or not, but the problem comes into play when I want a fire resist heavy build for one encounter and a water resistant build for the next encounter. Once we learn these new skills (I'm assuming they will be passive) they will affect the opposite build style permanently. This in effect limits our ability to change tactics on the fly.

IMO, the only way for this new idea to work is to make these new skills like "stances" where you have to activate the buff and it stays active until you toggle it off or turn on a different one. That way, if we want to learn the skill to get the bonus w/the negative impact on the opposite school... it won't hurt us if we need to try a different build where the negative received would hamper it. The key is that only one can be active at a time, so the overall concept is still present. But making it a toggle will allow us to keep our flexibility.

I like flexibility. It was one of the selling points of this game for me when I first committed my pledges!

18. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

This is why i am asking Chris that these skills should ALWAYS be on 100% un-train. Chris dis-agree's ... i feel there should be no penalty to switch from being a fire mage today and a ice mage next week. The idea that this will always be under penalty of 50% return on un-train is just un-acceptable to me when they skills are specializations but direct oppositions to changing our builds on the fly. I feel like these should be meaningful choices though they should not have impacts against your character for un-training these skills.

I personally think chris is a little disconnected with the lack of efficiency to un-train a skill in game with out 100% un-train. if you are un-training a skill you have to 140 that is a 1.2 million xp skill. This is going to mean the loss of roughly 20 million xp .... That is a lot. If these skills are going to be meaningful choices they still need to be able to be undone with out dramatic power loss to your character.

Rada Torment and Daxxe Diggler like this.
  19. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

No I don't build things with straw. Didn't do wonders for the camel's back. Nice to assume and put words in my mouth, and expect the worst and trolly in those that don't agree. Where did I say anything about you not liking yet another release delay? Kind of strange indeed.

20. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I believe that's the point. Currently, you can be both. The new skills give you the option to stay that way; or to go above what you can now, but you have to pick one. You can still have resistances to everything, but there is now also bonus to specializing, should you choose to.

Nikko likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.