Random Discussion About Chris' Daily Blog

Discussion in 'Developer Depot' started by Chris, Apr 5, 2017.

1. EMPstrike

EMPstrike Avatar

2. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Has anybody else here been pickpocketed?

I have... In a crowded open market in Guatemala by a child.

I've also pickpocketed others a small handful of times in Shroud. It's totally ooc for Jaan, but we are actually testing the game here, right?

I suggest a good starting point for discussion would be considering what motivations/rewards there are for people to pickpocket IRL, and also what kind of "real life" actions can be taken to mitigate becoming a pickpocketing victim.

I think this way we can help to develop the game from the perspective of making it a mirror of the physical world, and not from the perspective of making a fantasy world based upon how we think things "should be" in the real world.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  3. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Ooh I thought of one! How about craftable containers with anti-theft devices? Could be mechanical a/o magical.

Vaiden Luro and Nikko like this.
  4. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

Didn't they have those in UO? I think that is a great idea. I am thinking about the porch thieves that we have in real life and some of the ways people have been trying to stop them. You can bait them in towns. Place a chest on your porch and if a thief tries to open it with out high enough skill, the explodes and turns them into an aggressor that you can attack.

edit - You booby trap bags within your inventory and once open the thief is revealed and poisoned if they fail a skill check.

5. EMPstrike

EMPstrike Avatar

Taking items/gold from people you kill is considered theft isnt it? I mean sneaking up on somone offguard or while they are killing a boss is as unconsensual as pickpocketing is.

As is killing people who only flagged for the xp

Nikko and bigta1982 like this.
  6. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Well you can still level it to 100 and not master it.. Thats exactly what I said. Not specializing but being more flexible comes at a indirect cost now. You can not take a mastery at all if you wish and be a jack of all trades now instead of a master of all trades what was a little broken to say the least.

7. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

You have some good points but I think balance has been a real problem for a very long time.

Its as if we are on some teeter balancing program. Mastery/specialty is needed but maintaining balance is just as important. Its easy to be quiet when your build is currently sitting at the top of the teeter.

Mabey a better way to solve mastery is only allow 1 or 2 and instead of hitting opposing tree it gives you better defence vrs ur own tree.

Example air mastery might give you a reduced damage modfier and lower stun chance on you. Makes sense because you having mastery you have understanding how to defend against it better.

Numa likes this.
  8. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Brass Knuckles likes this.
  9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

@Chris just having read the proposed resistance changes. Just to add my few pence... I like the approach in general with the exception of the obvious challenges implementation would bring which, from your comments it seems you understand pretty well.

As a non-magical user myself the addition of a tactics passive seems pretty interesting.. but that said a general magic resistance should probably also apply to healing and buffs (including shrine buffs) since a universal magic resist ability seems like it would be pretty potent it should have serious drawbacks. BUT, you would then also have to include non-magical healing skills. ;) Which is another subject entirely.

Sharing the concern regarding punishing generalist mages and the ability for all magic trees to be able to stand on their own. I think those would really have to be addressed.

Numa likes this.
  10. Echondas

Echondas Bug Brigade – Bug Hunter

I'm curious how the "Chaos" resistance will work.. will it semi-randomly pick 1 school to benefit, and 1 to detract from?

11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I haven't seen any details about having chaos resistance. I'm betting that you will have to get chaos attunement in order to have some chaos resistance. As it is, there are no spells, food, potions or items that provide chaos resistance and I assume it's intentional.

Numa likes this.
  12. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Virtue score? Just guessing...

13. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Wellll.. sure but aren't you being a bit hyperbolic?

Let's say a player is running around flagged 24/7 and flashing their Warlock Chain because YOLO or whatever. They are going to have to pay to repair that thing a lot of times, and by comparison, how often would they have to pay the ransom for it because they got pickpocketed?

100 repairs to 1 ransom? 1000 to 1?

They realize the Oracle is a force they would not willingly choose to be aligned with? Really, it is the most meaningful choice an Avatar can make in the game.

Some folks sure like to wax philosophical about ethics and yet seemingly don't think twice about accepting her "protection" if it means risking their shiny baubles.

I mean... According to the Oracle's philosophy propaganda, if Jaan were to murder your Avatar and gank her ****, then it was simply her destiny to do so.

Therefore, by association, any player who accepts her protection is agreeing that they, and all other Avatars, are not really responsible for their behavior as it was all written in the Prophecy.

14. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Yup! Or even like a slow-acting poison.. they don't even realize they got poisoned until the next day and it suddenly kicks in at an inopportune time. Or stuff like exploding dye that jacks up their gear and leaves a trail.

For magical ones could be a curse debuff or even a GM mage could wield an "Orb of Stalking" that lets them see the location of the perp.

15. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

There is no exp in pvp and the 10% bonus for pve doesn't apply above the cap. If you use the pvp flag and hit the cap you end up loosing 40% of your exp so again it's risk vs risk and no reward.

16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Wondering what % of players ever hit that cap on a regular basis.

17. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

Well Bowen I've been taking out large groups of people daily that are hitting the cap. So pretty much any group that can do control point regularly will hit the cap with pvp flags. You can also hit the cap in K'rul and the Rise. So it's not as uncommon as you think. It also doesn't take all high level players to do it. I've been taking players between 40 and 60 ADLVL out to quickly raise them.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  18. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I'll take your word for most of that but this line doesn't make a lot of sense to me.. If it doesn't take a high level player then why do they need a high level player to take them? This makes it sound like you're doing most of the work. In the very least you're doing a pretty good job keeping them alive to get that XP. :) Having personally been in such groups and seen what happens to them when you have to leave.

19. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

Well certainly you can't do them at low level alone. But in this case it's not a solo issue. It's not like it's just handful of players that will run into the cap. Anyone that can clear the content will run into it. Which is totally ok for non pvp people.(Im not against that cap) The PVP flag however gives no benefit at that point so it becomes a worthless reward for taking a risk. Which is the point I was making. There is no reason for people to pvp flag if they like fighting in pvp. There is a plethora of risks and no reward.

20. EMPstrike

EMPstrike Avatar

The reduction in healing attunment it gives is going to make life heals less effective on you.

I would say the devotionals are spiritual buffs. And as for me ill probably train a couple of masteries as the resistance they offer would be 3x higher than the universal one tactics gives.

What will i be when this is done!