Random Discussion About Chris' Daily Blog

Discussion in 'Developer Depot' started by Chris, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

You are right the GM is not absolutely necessary right now, but the variation is. That's why Chris needs to adress the attunement influence skills more at higher level and/or tier.

Jaanelle DeJure likes this.
  2. Gia2

Gia2 Avatar

I would propose to separate the resistance tables from the schools of magic, otherwise a melee char will always Be Forced to spend exp points to mitigate dmg incoming. On a macroscopic view the actual system is as flat as kansas (flat as a pancake for us non yankee) . Most characters are totally identical and just switch gear every duel. High end characters are identical by definition. I dont think DEVs want a game where pressing a botton switch yourself between 12 characters in a second.
    Many players suggest ideas about how to make more real the crafting n such, more close to the RL efforts you have to put for the various interaction of this game. There will be no teamplay until nobody has to choose ( and master, not numerically but talking about skill ) which Role he wants to play. Push up everything to 100ish and voilà. Press a button and voilà, you Assassin become the Pope, another click and voilà u become a tank, another puff and you become a necro. It's sooooo flat guys, am I ( and the community i' triing to bring here ) the only who hardly manage this thing?
    There is no need to force people to grp with harder mobs, there is a need to teamplay and cohoperate beside of buy n selling. People wants a role or hybrid roles to experience and feel themselves useful. In big guildies you will hardly hear people teamup, cause there is no need and you just split drops.
    Long live to Rpgers :)
    Pardon for grammat errors, iOS cant manage 2 languages and keep correcting
    W sota

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

That's because you're at a level where it's much easier for you to gather experience. It took me more than a year from persistence, playing casually, to get my first GM. Now I have, I think, 13 and they come much easier.

Jaanelle DeJure likes this.
  4. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

Incentives to help other people? No no no. You help because you want to help not because of some incentive to help. Go down that path and it will become your doing x to get y. Intentions matter. In a helpful community we help because that is who we are not because we are greedy blank holes who are rewarded for it.. :) cheers

Rada Torment likes this.
  5. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Yes that's true. What people forget is that once you have reached a certain skill level it is way faster to gain XP. That's why you should if you don't have much time, always find guildies to mentor you. This is a great mechanic, but sadly to little used as there is no real necessity to get high level members in a guild :)

Barugon likes this.
  6. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Bug Brigade - Bug Hunter

I respect your wish to have roles for people to play and I'm not singling you out specifically by quoting you. I'm just responding to your post content and the whole idea of specialization.

My response is: If you're looking for a game where you have to pick one role and stick with it forever... then you should look to other games that have a Class or Archetype system for character development. SOTA was designed so that we don't have to choose a class (and the deck system with a fixed 10-slot combat bar is meant to balance things so you can't do everything at once). You can learn every skill, but you can only use a certain amount of them at a time. The combination mix is yours to choose freely.

The whole concept of this game is that you CAN just push a button and change from being an assassin to healer to tank to mage to ranger, etc. All you need to do is learn a skill, and use it often to level it up. The more you train a skill, the better you get at it. That's what makes this game so great!

If I want to be a healer for the group today, I can, just by changing my deck and gear to suit that need. If I want to be DPS, I have many options between a mage, ranged, or even a melee. The flexibility to fill any role without having to start a whole new character is the premise here. It's why I chose to play this game. I don't want to be pigeon holed into being the same thing forever.

I also don't want to be limited from learning a skill or building a specific deck combination just because I chose to expand a tree by learning new skills/spells. We should have every opportunity to "specialize" in any/all trees we want and then benefit from learning those skills when we build a deck that uses them.

I'm not quite sure why people are trying so hard to force specialization. I don't want to specialize. I want to master everything I'm able to, and let my deck building and knowledge of each skill tree dictate how good I am at filling a role and for that play session. If I want to change things up tomorrow, I should be able to because there are supposed to be no limitations here.

7. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

This whole talk about "forcing" others to play how we want, forcing them to group up, forcing them to play together is so wrong (and this is not the first post with that message). Who are all of you to tell us how to have fun? I like group content myself and would like content that is specific for groups like raids ( and I am sure that is coming) but solo is also very much enjoyable and that ability to go out solo and enjoy the game and kill stuff should never be taken away because of the need of you folks to force others to conform to what you think should be. Thank you. Cheers. :)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    Gregg247 and Daxxe Diggler like this.
  8. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

This right here. :) couldn't have said it better myself. :) cheers

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  9. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

You still can do that, but it gets balanced now. You won't be the master of all trades anymore.. you are now the proper jack of all trades.
    So you can level everything, but live with it that you will never out dps a pure fire mage vs a fire vulnerable target... on the other hand if you are fighting the dragon, the fire mage might not have something up his sleeve. Sounds pretty fair to me now, and both worlds can be happy.

Gorthyn, Numa, LoneStranger and 3 others like this.
  10. Daxxe Diggler

But that's not true. You can't level EVERYTHING if you can only take one mastery past GM.

If the only way to unlock the new spells being added to the tree is to GM that tree's "Mastery" skill... and you are only allowed to GM one of them... then you can't unlock the other 7 trees!

Please stop saying you can still level everything because if what Chris is proposing is what happens, then we can't learn everything... which means we can't level everything.

This will prohibit me from building a deck to be pure fire mage to go against a fire vulnerable target if I don't select fire Mastery as my one and only GM. I want to be able to do that and when I go against a water magic vulnerable target be able to be a pure water mage.

Again, it's about how you build your deck that is supposed to dictate what role you are playing at that time... not which skills you have available to build a deck from.

11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Nowhere in the proposal does it say that you can only take one mastery beyond 100. It says that you cannot level an opposing mastery if the other is greater than 20.

This is also not in his proposal.

Numa likes this.
  12. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I think this is a step in the right direction. It will be easier to balance pvp as well. There is much more to work on but I cannot see the harm in this. Doing this is for the betterment overall IMO and there will have to be sacrifice from both extreme play styles.

Gorthyn, Numa and Vallo Frostbane like this.
  13. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

You can level it don't you? You just can't master it. That is what I've said. It is balanced now.

14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

@Chris
    I see that the Release 50 QA forum is up. Will the new combat and resistance changes be in the initial QA build?

15. Daxxe Diggler

I'm talking about what Chris said in his daily blog:
    The part I colored in yellow clearly shows that you can only open up the new skills in one tree. If I can only open up the skills in one tree, then there are new skills in 7 other trees that I can't open up.

@Vallo Frostbane - If I can't open up the new skills in 7 trees, then I can't learn them and I can't level them. How else can I explain this to make you understand what I mean?

I'll try one more time:
    - There are 8 magic trees (9 if you count Chaos, but that isn't relevant right now without an opposing school nor a planned "Mastery" skill)
    - There will be 8 new "Mastery" skills, one for each magic tree
    - You can only advance 1 of these Mastery skills beyond 100, which then unlocks new spells in that tree
    - If you can only unlock new spells in one magic tree, then you can't unlock new spells in the other 7 trees
    - If you can't unlock new spells in 7 trees, then you can't learn them and you can't train them

Does that make sense?

Barugon likes this.
  16. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

Has it been asked/answered on how these changes will factor in % increasing resistance buffs like Douse/Shield of Ice/Celestial Blessing? Are they ONLY going to increase "resistance" or are they still going to do exactly what they do now, except taking the higher value of "resistance" and 1/2 attunement?

17. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Again you can keep them at 99. As Chris said it isn't mandatory.

18. Daxxe Diggler

So are you just messing with me now? I can't explain it any more clearly than what I did and I'm at a point where I believe you have to just be arguing for the sake of arguing... without addressing the question I am asking.

Yes, I can keep them all at 99, but then I can't get the new skills that open up once I get them to 100. I can do that for only 1 magic tree.

The new skills only open up once I take them to 100. How do I get all the new spells if I can't take all the Mastery skills to 100?

19. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Dude I get it, you don't get that I was exactly saying what I did now for 3 times... NO MORE MASTER NOW JACK ;)

They are fixing their broken system. If you do not like it now I am sorry, but it is a needed change for reason stated multiple times over the last couple of months.

Barugon likes this.
  20. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

*fans himself*
    getting a little spammy in here.