Random Discussion About Chris' Daily Blog

Discussion in 'Developer Depot' started by Chris, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Two Days Before the Day After Tomorrow

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  2. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Speed stacking was ridiculous. Glad it is being fixed now.

Stundorn, jolanar and Hornpipe like this.
  3. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

Pls run Sota put any two buffs, and ask somebody to shoot you disabling shot or ice arrow or ice field, in R50 PVP will be on even less speed, do you like it ?

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  4. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Yes. Thats the purpose of the school.
    Running speed was broken. You could move quake like through the maps if you did it right. Also the multiplying effect made run debuffs not matter at all. :D
    I think 2 buffs are fine.

5. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

LOL its not true at all, without movement speed debuff you have no chance to catch move speed build avatar, seems you just have no experience in fighting move speed guys.
    By the way you speak with I think fastest archer in the game. So i exactly know what move speed build is, what compromises in this build and how it can be countered.

6. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea people used stacked speed buffs + jump buffs to bypass puzzles and obstacles, like at Oracle Colossus. It was a little over the top.

Numa likes this.
  7. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator SOTA Developer Ambassador

Passives or gear that give move bonuses will remain unchanged. This is just for active effects as those were generally much larger and multiplicative.

@Grimbone, Oracle head statues will still allow flagging and unflagging.

Yes, buggy broken features can be fun for a while, just look at UO! Most of the stories players tell about it are not stories about designed features but about broken systems and bugs. Sadly, this was confusing for new players and frustrating to many existing players who avoided PVP specifically because of this.

Numa, Sara Dreygon, Echondas and 3 others like this.
  8. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Well you can just speed stack to a level where you break game physic. Even when slowed you outrun everything. Combined with blink you can even start lagging out for other clients... it was broken and is getting fixed. Boom and zoom was done way before... nothing has changed since then. Apparently when looking into it Chris found what was wrong. You will still be fast though no worries.

9. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator SOTA Developer Ambassador

The movement stuff was broken. The tech was never even targeted at numbers nearly as high as many were reaching. Players were reporting lots of bugs on this because it even looked broken. This isn't making the game more casual, it is making it playable for everyone instead of just a few who use bugs and exploits and there by forcing everyone to use the same broken mechanics to compete. Please drop it now as I hate to have to moderate people but you repeatedly posting and arguing with everyone is not what this thread is for.

10. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

@Chris, if we use the item of unlearning on a 100% XP back skill, does it take 100% back or the lower rate that the item gives?

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  11. eli

eli Avatar

RIP the social life of the person who convinces his party of casuals to flag for XP... or his pvp life if he doesn't.

12. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

I think the problem was more people skipping across the screen.

Numa and Chris like this.
  13. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

@Chris What do you think about using the same mechanic of defensive skills with movement speed skills?
    Giving a big boost to speed immediatly after use and then scaling down gradually.

PS: It will be more realistic and immersive too

Gia2, Lou100, Sara Dreygon and 4 others like this.
  14. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

@Chris
    This is my 2 cents on Moongate's.

If Moongate's were accessible on the world map connected to a City, I would use them.

So an example of my Idea is the current system of loading into a city, which gives you the option to enter city's gates at the - north, west, east, south.

With the Moongate's being a visual on the world map accessible next to said city, you could click on the moon gate and teleport to either another Moongate on the world map, or the Moongate that resides in the city.
    Essentially the system is already inplace, it would just need to be setup visually and use the Moongates visual, which is on the world map as a placeholder.

This would skip a double loading if one did not actually want to enter the city, but rather travel to that city's location, via world map load.

15. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

I'm glad that this change has been made with speed. I'm all for a dynamic gameplay but everything need a limit. That said, I have a few questions @Chris :

- First, will sprint count as an active buff ? When you double tap the "forward" key, you can use focus to get a slight speed boost. We were able to use this sprint with the sprint and dash glyphs until now. Is it still the case ?

- Secondly, if the wolf speed potion (+15% for 10 minutes) count as an active buff, why would I have any interest to use it when I can use dash and sprint instead, which increase my movement speed a lot more (+60 % at very low level) ?

- Thirdly, why does dash gives more speed than sprint and why do I HAVE to use both to get a better movement ? Why an air mage has to be faster than a simple archer ?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  16. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

Agreed, wolf potions are useless with this new change, also air magic is more due to attunement. Sprint shouldn't be counted as an active buff.

Hornpipe and Sara Dreygon like this.
  17. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

Really?

18. redfish

redfish Avatar

Just wondering... Why not put a cap on max speed, rather than limiting stacking mechanistically?

19. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

I just dont want them to cap everything due to it being simple. Example exp

Hornpipe likes this.
  20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

@Chris
    The cool-down for Dodge is too long. If you could shorten it even a little bit (like say to 25 seconds) then that would be a lot better. Thanks.

Sara Dreygon likes this.