Random Discussion About Chris' Daily Blog

Discussion in 'Developer Depot' started by Chris, Apr 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

No, the better design would be to add more trees (or at least make more existing trees properly choppable).

Jaanelle DeJure likes this.
  2. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator SOTA Developer Ambassador

Correct, this only works on the two schools set to maintain or train. Specializations are different from any other skills in that they give no benefit of any kind unless they are set to train or maintain.

3. Halfwitte

Halfwitte Avatar

"Design changes of note today, the experience for Specializations will be going up! Yes, up to 20x or twice the xps of dex/int/str stats."

LoL. Gonna have to grind for another month to get both specializations to 120, so should have both done in time for release. I like it though gonna make it too costly for anyone, but the 1% which is nice and I won't hardly lose any xp when I die even though I will have over 350 million xp invested in just 2 skills. It's a win win Powerful with little penalty for dying. Granted the perks aren't that great, but will make for nice bragging rights and some interesting perk combos.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  4. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

So for example if one were to specialize in Ranged or Swords, the specialization would affect/boost Aimed Shot or Thrust - but not auto-attacks or charged attacks - since those are not skills?

5. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

3,274,960 required for L80 to be exact. :)

And 6,550 XP for first death at max decay.

Nikko and Spoon like this.
  6. sgl2586

sgl2586 Avatar

"Design changes of note today, the experience for Specializations will be going up! Yes, up to 20x or twice the xps of dex/int/str stats."

I am having a tough time imaging who the x20 cost helps other than those who already have 50 mil+ banked. 10x (on par with dex/int/str) felt expensive but reachable within a build path. Now? Now I plan to spend the next 8 a.lvl leveling nothing and grinding xp to level up the specializations. Does this mean I should consider my build incomplete? Except I have 80s and GMs in the things I care about. Have an off-build that is effective in solo t5 content. I aint soloing dragon/demon/troll, but perhaps that is what these passives are aimed at?

@Chris can you explain the designed intended audience for these passives based on the x20 cost that you are working to implement?

Ajivani likes this.
  7. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

They could affect Ranged Combat or Bladed Combat, which are skills. I don't recall seeing anything for those specifically...

8. devourerofmemes

devourerofmemes Avatar

Just a heads up these specializations are under one of the trees passives so you need a lvl 80 passive in that school before you can even buy it, so start getting the required passives to 80 before r51 drops if you want to play with the system day 1.

9. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

Still awaiting the promised brain dump on specialization for the "what am I missing" but not really seeing that much benefit from it on the skills themselves that would make it worth grinding out that much xp. The name of the game for say blades is killing things and at least when I played on QA spec 80 didnt do anything for damage or anything of use to the skill (the list said that double slash should have a chance to proc for a third swing, never saw it honestly it needs about a 75% chance to be useful). I don't need a 6th copy of the skill, most of my decks didnt have 5 of anything.

Decay shielding is pretty nice, but decay just needs to die in general, using it as a reason to spec feels wrong.

10. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

I'm failing to see why voluntarily pumping 296,599,480 XP into your two specialization skills would be something to brag about, when the lion's share of the benefits can be had at 6,549,920 XP.

Is there something impressive about wasting 290,049,560 XP and at minimum 290 hours of your life in the next month that I'm missing?

Ajivani likes this.
  11. Halfwitte

Halfwitte Avatar

It's meant for the 1% Min Maxers.

12. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

As with the 10x skills, looks like there is very marginal benefit to going past 80, so really you are looking at 3.2M per specialization skill. Sounds reachable for any player with alvl 80+.

Nikko likes this.
  13. Rat2

Rat2 Avatar

It would be nice if you could harvest wood at the same rate that you can mine ore / hour. When you need producer XP; the mines produce more XP / hour. And why does every tree seem to be defended by a pack of wolves? Just saying.....

Senjut and Jaanelle DeJure like this.
  14. Halfwitte

Halfwitte Avatar

Why you ask? Here's why. Some proper Pole Arm damage testing. Not even a 6 stack, because pole still doesn't have it yet.
    [​IMG]
    Mostly because it came across as a challenge from Chris by doubling the xp requirement on an already high xp requirement skill. Things start to become insane at skill level 120 and it's fun.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  15. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Have you calculated or considered if higher xp cost and lower xp decay benefits one particular class of player?

I would rather encounter faster leveling but more to lose on death personally.

Dhanas likes this.
  16. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

I agree that those jacking lumber should have an equal opportunity to get producer XP as us in mines, but I've found that killing elder and obsidian wolves and skinning them gets producer XP at the same rate as mining. Also the mines are all well defended by various things, some kobols some elves, but mostly lots of undead. Notably none of which are things I can skin.

Thems is some impressive hits.

17. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Yes, that IS nice! But what were you hitting for when specialization was at 80?

18. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

What is actually contributing to these numbers? I mean... the Specialization skill itself doesn't provide more damage for any skill in almost all trees... It's only things like durations of effects, focus costs, etc. for the most part. Do you know where the added damage is coming from?

19. Halfwitte

Halfwitte Avatar

I never stopped at 80 to test cause there was no point. Pull at 120 is a 37.5% damage increase over a little 25% at 80. In a game where tiny percents mean a great deal the 12.5% is massive. This was done without a skewer master worked pole arm and a shield in the off hand so it could be a good bit higher if I was dual wielding spears or a 2h spear.
    Also there are plenty of other perks that happen at 120 over 80 which are pretty insane.

Let's just say sprint in Light armor specialization at 120 with 120 sprint lasts nearly 5 minutes at a movement speed of 2.8.

20. sgl2586

sgl2586 Avatar

While I appreciate the opinion, do you have a Chris/Developer quote for this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.