Random Discussion About Chris' Daily Blog

Discussion in 'Developer Depot' started by Chris, Apr 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

That may be but it still makes the spec bonus situational rather than being of use most of the time. I noticed early on that the death resistance buff made it possible to damage undead. Just not enough to be useful.

And personally I don’t give the first care about pvp.

Xkhan likes this.
  2. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Although, I do see your point, and I agree with you for the most part, I am now taking a lot of my ranged skills past 100. I was not going to do that before because of hugely increased death decay from doing so with multiple skills. This is giving me quite a bit more damage that I otherwise would not have had.

3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes but it's definitely not a wow factor and not all specializations do much. They should help and affect the whole tree of skills yes all skills in it imo not just some. As it is now it is measly and not accomplishing it. Who feels proficient yet? I know I do not.

Nikko likes this.
  4. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

I hear ya @majoria70. After getting my Ranged Specialization past 80, I still feel like "Multishot" is really underwhelming. There was a time in the past where it hit every target with all three hits EACH nearly every time, and it was spectacular. I feel like that is the feeling I should get from it now. I just don;t even want the skill, and it is the "capstone" skill in the tree. That's not a good feeling. You're not wrong!

Retro likes this.
  5. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

I have been using multi shot a lot at level 80 and 80 specialization. I still find it very underwhelming. I generally only hit each target once or twice. I don't think I have ever hit a target three times yet. I have spent hours shooting two training dummies and could probably count on one hand the number of times I had four hits.

Retro likes this.
  6. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Exactly this. Thanks for the supporting data/experience. I thought it was pretty lame, but this really shows it. Rapid Fire and Aimed Shot are better by an order of magnitude.

7. DAKelam1

DAKelam1 Avatar

Specializations across the board are very weak sauce and honestly the decay "benefit" was added to hide the fact that they to put it bluntly......suck big donkey......So let's do something radical increase their power 10 to 20 fold make them game changers and then make it so to switch you have to do a few tbings.....1 you have to find an npc in a difficult place say behind clockwork dragon.....then you must pay that npc 50-75k gold....then untraining any spec is 0% xp return....And the amount of xp you had in that spec applies to your decay formula for 30-60 days......this would be punishing enough to make choosing a spec matter while also allowing it to have true game changing power

disynthetic and Nikko like this.
  8. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

I could get behind something really crazy like this. Also, if it seems to be WAY to radical for PvP, then simply make it not impact PvP much... Maybe it has 10% the effect when you're hitting another human player, but in PvE, it makes you really stand out, and able to do things you otherwise couldn't do. I'd love that.

disynthetic likes this.
  9. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

Not being "game changers" is by design. Debalancing the entire game is just not a good plan. (EDIT: that said, there's a telethon today, you should ask them about it)

There needs to be a balance pass: ranged specalization is lackluster, while blades is fairly solid (to the point that I would say it IS essential to any blades user).

Alley Oop likes this.
  10. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

Lol everyone hates multi shot and says it sucks including me (I don't even bother to use it anymore) and I do mean everyone. I don't think I have come across one post where someone said they liked multi shot and it was fine and yet in one of @Chris recent post, he said it felt fine and than proceeded to say no one may see it but.... And than proceeds to explain why he thinks its fine. Well... To me that sounds like a contradiction. If literally no one sees something, can it really be a thing?? To me it Appears that the consensus is multi shot is weak and needs improved. Maybe if the consensus screams loud enough, we will be heard. :) :) Just my two sense :) :)

Retro, Thwip and Nikko like this.
  11. Jayfire

Jayfire Avatar

I Agree Multi-Shot is a huge waste, it does not help any as an aoe I've tried to use it to take down a group it is worse then taking each one out individually.

When I can see a fire mage run in drop his aoe and destroy the same group in a matter of seconds.

I think it should be more like a volley of arrows and affects an aoe area over a small portion of time doing damage every tick or so.

Just my two cents, also I would love to know when special ammo will come into play because it could really help balance ranged out.

Retro, disynthetic and Nikko like this.
  12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

*shrug* with specialization, I actually think Milti Shot is pretty good.

[edit] If specialization reduced the cast time then it would be a lot better (@Chris).

13. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

Lol. I knew if I spoke in absolutes "everyone hates" I would get at least one to say otherwise :) i am glad your happy with it :) I am not. I did like the volley of arrows idea in a dedicated spot. You know like ring of fire. :)

Retro, Nikko and Barugon like this.
  14. DAKelam1

DAKelam1 Avatar

I agree with the way it is setup now you cannot make them game changers but my suggestion aside if you made the choice either permanent(which itself is against the design for this particular game) or very very punishing to get out of it allows the power to be increased to actually make the choices meaningful......unfortunately right now even "stronger" trees (of which honestly even blades sucks most notably in pve) are very lackluster and it makes me as a player ask why should I bother to spend 9 to 12 hours (to get to skill level 80) or more farming xp for something that's not going to help me feel different or more powerful than someone who doesn't spend that effort

We need to look at balance in PVE scenarios less with a raw number and how does it affect PvP and vice versa mindset and more how can we make players "feel" good about playing and how we can make them "feel" like they are progressing....finding a way to include a players emotion and getting them emotionally invested will go a very long way to more active and more long term players

15. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

This is absolutely true, Chris mentioned on the telethon that the specialization skill for coupe de grace is getting nerfed...first this is probably the ONLY skill in the entire tree that got a useful bonus in PVE, and second at 72 (and as said above not really crazy about putting a few days into getting those last 8 points) it should have about a 25% health use rate, but usually it either hits for less than a good non-crit thrust or hit for 300 when the mob only had 100hp when used between 15% and 25% mob health

Thrust and rend getting a -healing debuff doesnt help in PVE at all, and the double slash bonus at its low percentage doesnt warrant the rather high focus cost. Whirling gets a focus reduction, but only to where it was last patch before being nerfed.

But as usual his data is probably coming from a few really high level players smacking dragons for a million or PVP.

summary blades spec kinda stinks for normal PVE.

FrostII likes this.
  16. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

I can only speak for myself, but compaired to where whirling blades was post-nerf, it's focus decrease *is* noticable. Even at only 60. I don't think it's game-changing, but I do find I'm able to survive a little better against larger groups. It's not game-changing, but it's not supposed to be.

As to coup-de-grace: The expansion on was too much. I said as much when @Chris posted it. Backing it off from 30% to 25% at 80 seems like it should be about right.

Alley Oop likes this.
  17. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

I actually don't doubt that, the first thing I did post patch was run blade spec to about 60 on a target dummy so I never dealt with the new whirling blades focus cost. Its still zero sum from where we were just over a week ago and requires a few million into a new skill to get there.

If he only knocks it down to 25% thats fine, but it was already less than the difference of one good shot on a 1200 HP mob.

It would be significant against very high HP mobs but not at all against everything else.

Tiina Onir and FrostII like this.
  18. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

I just want to chime in here. As a primarily ranged combat character, I opted for Air Specialization and Tactics Specialization. Because Ranged Combat Specialization isn't merely unattractive, it has no appeal to me. None. None whatsoever.

And since I run with Air Shield, Berserker Stance, and charged shot, 100% critical hit damage bonus is massive to me. I would gladly burn 143M XP to get from GM Tactics Specialization to 120 for 25% more critical hit damage. I would NOT put a single point of experience into Ranged Combat Specialization EVEN IF Multishot was retooled to be a good skill, Rapid Fire got More arrows per volley with stacking, nor even if Piercing/Disabling/Blinding Shot(s) all became great. Hell, you could even bring back skill effects stacking with stat buffs (Air's Embrace giving more dexterity for every stack) , Defense buffs (Fortify Defense), or Stances (Berserker Stance giving more speed and strength with each stack).

I still wouldn't want Ranged Specialization. Critical Hit Damage is just better, EVEN WITH the crazy low critical hit chance I have with 200+ dexterity on a flanked target. It's insulting that I can't hit the broad side of a barn in the BACK for more damage than in front.

Even if Ranged Combat skills stacked twice as fast as they do right now, nope, still do not want.

Retro and Tiina Onir like this.
  19. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

And you know what, ranged spec is the 1th one in the top rank of most used specs right now (blades second if I can remember well). :D

Retro, Mac2 and disynthetic like this.
  20. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

Hehe, I got a 1205 hp Crit on Dolus last night. It felt glorious.

Numa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.