Random Discussion About Chris' Daily Blog

Discussion in 'Developer Depot' started by Chris, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

@Chris Will the blueprints have different respawn times for mobs ? A dungeon like Upper tears for example is small with very fast respawn rate ..

2. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Agreed. I supported my backstory of digging for [redacted] in old ruins by using a mine basement on a village lot with the ruins deco; this is way better.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  3. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, I just don't think the list and rate system jives well for using dungeons for RP purposes. If I build a quest and a mine, or a catacomb, or dungeon maze is part of a quest, I don't want it to be advertised at a Town Crier with a rating.

I personally think devs are thinking about "content curation" completely wrong. We don't need dev assistance through listing and rating; the players will curate the content ourselves if you give us the RP tools. But we have really little tools to do things ourselves.

Jaesun, Aeryk and Matt Harris like this.
  4. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Ooh, good point. Hopefully we'll get the ability to have them unlisted, so they can be organically discovered. Or at least, locked in a way that you need to have done something else to gain entry.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Aeryk likes this.
  5. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

You wanna tax people if they want to enter your dungeon ? :)

6. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Oops, typo. I meant have something. Like a key or a book found elsewhere.

7. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Cora Cuz'avich

Aaah well I just am having problems seeing the whole system as a good idea even with tweaks. Even if you accept a division between listed dungeons and unlisted dungeons, then you have to explain to new players there's a difference and some dungeons aren't listed.

I just wish the devs would listen to some suggestions players have been giving about RP tools to do stuff like that in the games by ourselves without all the automation.

Gorthyn likes this.
  8. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Well, yeah. I agree, not having it at all is best. My suggestion is more of a, "if we have to have it, then..." idea.

9. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

@Chris I'm concerned about the pre-built monster rooms. Can we move the monster spawn locations or is there only one setup? If it's the latter, it might get boring pretty quick to have the same rooms in every single dungeon.

And regarding that, for decoed rooms, could we have certain areas in the room that monsters can spawn without it being able to be messed with for exploits? Like a central "no deco" corridor? Or snap locations where monsters can be spawned and you put "no deco" paths to and from those locations? I'd like to be able to put some customization into the places the monsters are, not just the flavor rooms.

Also, how about sounds? Any possibility of being able to set up over internet sound triggers so we can do some voice narration? And if we've got NPC's, building in triggers in the dialog would let us do voice acting as well.

Also, how about having no house entrance, only an entrance from another dungeon? So for instance if a person has 2 village lots, one has an entrance, and the other has a dungeon but you can't get there from the home, only from dungeon 1. That way we can make "Level 1" and "Level 2" etc.

econner likes this.
  10. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

@Chris exiting news! Thank you for the "brain dump".

If I may be so bold, PLEASE take a look at what happened in Neverwinter Online (NOT Neverwinter Nights 1/2). When that game launched it had a "Foundry" system. It was great. There were hundreds of players that made "dungeons"/"scenes" and it was bliss! However, after a short while, things started to go wrong. People were exploiting it for the loot you received for "completing" the player-made "dungeons"/"scenes". It got to the point early on where the developers had to take the Foundry offline because of the exploits. To this day, that system is offline (but it still pops up on menus and the after-login splash screen). Sad, but true.

Additionally, I think that system may provide some good insight in how to make it work. And I hope you guys are able to work your way around any potential exploits! Good luck, we all await with baited breath!

EDIT: I would request a possible solution to exploits (and maybe it helps the economy and makes crafting worthwhile in other ways). Consider allowing players to create the loot that drops. This way I can put in 500/5,000/50,000 gold (whatever I chose) as a reward. Also, I can dump my +10 carapician chest piece that I won't use, but maybe someone else can. These are basic examples, but the idea is to make players own their dungeons and the associated loot. And a way to keep out exploits is to lock-out rewards (1 day/1 week/1 month, etc.).

And I don't care about the "likes" but if everyone can show some support to make sure it gets looked at, it would be greatly appreciated. ;)

Jaesun, Bayard, econner and 2 others like this.
  11. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

Also like to see that a dungeon can be removed from public listing and rating. May someone wants the dungeon parts to build his own basement and place some crafting tables there..

In the past there where books in our town they have lead someone to a hidden place. This was a village LOT with a mine basement. I like to have such things in town that people can discover. There still places in town that are set up to tell a story. And when someone tries to find out what happens... it may lead to a dungeon that may be only found be reading books and other traces.
    And may from time to time there are events and a public chest filled with rewards are found...

Each town should have mysteries and traces of its past. May there are also some corpse in some basements...

I do not think someone have to explain or even give reasons for privacy. I am also more for an Opt-In. If someone like to be rated or that the dungeon is publicly access-able/see-able he/she can Opt-In.

Reagrding @Chris blog, there are dungeon chunks that accept deco. It should allow to place a public chest that can contain player made items. When this room/chunk is only reachable through a chunk that has mobs, may it not as easy to reach the treasure chest.
    But also like to see that gold can be splitted and placed in a container. Currently i have some gold coins in the bank box by using the in-game mail system.

Matt Harris likes this.
  12. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Heh. I think that might be mine. I was away from the game for a bit, and my lot claim expired. It's back, but south of town over by the swamp. I still need to do a bit of finishing deco work, though. I did expand the story a bit. Check in the craft pavillion...

Rentier likes this.
  13. Oakenhammer

Oakenhammer Avatar

This is the same thought I had and why I proposed this: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/episode-2-–-player-built-dungeons-what-we-know-and-additional-thoughts.136194/

When it comes to these dungeons, the key is risk vs. reward as @DarkStarr and @Chris will remind us. I am hoping that our dungeons can have an equivalent ratio of risk vs. reward as compared to other dungeons in the game so that our content is competitive and relevant. My aspiration is that we'll ultimately be able to contribute content that is indistinguishable from dev created dungeons and loaded with quest potential.

To that end and given that our dungeons will be composed of individual pieces, my hope is that the risk vs. reward for each component piece will be considered. The premiere example in my mind--and a key component of what I want to build with my "dungeon"--is that of rooms with ore nodes as found within mines like Level 1 of the Etceter Crag Mines. In the context of our player dungeons, think about those rooms. Often the entrance to the room is sealed with a breakable wall and contained within it are a number of enemies guarding the ore nodes. The enemies are the risk and the ore (plus the loot drop) is the reward. These rooms are already a self contained and balanced unit from a game design and economic perspective, so they'd make perfect addition to the options for our dungeons.

Browncoat Jayson and Elrond like this.
  14. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

How about dungeon master mode? Invisible, and able to spawn in the enemies manually? No rewards if necessary, although if they can have rewards it would be nice.

It would be fun to get the players fighting on one side, and then spawn spiders at the gratings in the walls behind them so it looks like they are coming out of the pipes. Or to have a bunch of archers show up on the second floor.

Chris likes this.
  15. Bayard

Bayard Avatar

YES!

This whole dungeon building concept rekindles the excitement I felt when I was a new arrival to this world!

Vero likes this.
  16. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

My concern with having us stock our own loot, is that we would need the ability to throttle it ( a drop % or maybe 1 to n per dungeon instance ) and have a pool that the loot is taken from. If you have a popular dungeon and there are 20 separate people going through it a day. You would need a large pool of loot to pull from in order to have everyone even get 1 piece. That may not be as much of a problem for players that have more time on their hands to restock the dungeons or guilds that make a concerted effort, but for casual players who want to build and dungeon for others to enjoy , stocking the dungeon may become a problem.

17. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator SOTA Developer

I'll answer a number of these questions in today's post...

18. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

the pot super dung (looking @2112Starman ) is the most interesting part to me. seems like it could be a really fun and inclusive project for communities in game.

Witcheypoo and Chris like this.
  19. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I would think that our dungs would conform to all their existing rules with the exception of custom things we can place in it.

If I was able to find the "lich bad guy cavern piece" and craft it. The lich pops up and drops the normal loot (from its normal loot table). I can craft "loot box's" like the ones in game (with their existing spawners like the one in The Rise which spawns ever 30 mins or so). But that could be exploited.

Im really not sure how they could allow us placing our own loot content in the dung without a lot of code. This seems like it could really be exploitable.

Im not sure it would be big deal if someone made a dung. that just helps them farm some stuff quick. Its not like they couldn't do the same thing anywhere else in the game. For example: Create on long winding hallway that spawns lich's ever 30 feet so you can just walk strait through the thing and farm them.

My general guess is that they will have restrictions enough on the system that will make these "fun" to run through once but not like farmable or worth farming more then just going out into a wild zone.

20. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

Tease !