Random Discussion About Chris' Daily Blog

Discussion in 'Developer Depot' started by Chris, Apr 5, 2017.

1. redfish

redfish Avatar

That's sort of missing the point, though, IMO. Its not about privacy, but about player expectations. If you have a quest leading to a dungeon in a certain town, I think if players expect it to be listed, the first thing they'll do is check it to be listed.

I think the way the devs have set up a lot of mechanics in the game it makes people who want to do RP have to actively fight against the game mechanics. Right now, for instance, everything is set up to encourage vendors being outdoors, which means almost nobody is going to go into your shop if your vendor is out doors. I think the list and rate system, even with an option to unlist, is just going to be another instance of this.

Opt-in is the best way of doing this, if they want to do it. But, again, I think a lot of these problems would be solved better by giving players the right tools to curate things themselves (we don't have them, currently), rather than doing it through an automated process.

2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I love this idea or rune puzzles or smoking mirror puzzles;)

3. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

I would just settle for Teleporters ... OMG the things i could do with Teleporters .... <3

Jaesun likes this.
  4. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

@Chris So since player dungeons are part of episode 2 and seem to be rolling out in the next few releases, are we starting episode 2 now or soon? My understanding was that episode 2 was further down the road? It's super exciting if episode 2 content will start rolling out in the next few releases.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  5. Tazar

Tazar Bug Brigade - Bug Hunter

Some of the most fun I had in UO was building a hedge maze out of 2 18x18 houses - with additional floors on each made of raised goza mats. All in all - it was the equivalent of 12 stories tall. Hedges made up the walls so it could be easily rearranged to change paths. At random points, the passage seemed clear, but a section of floor was missing which dropped you back down a level or more (pits like this were hidden behind hedges so not visible). In addition, I had about 3 "house teleporter tiles" on each floor of the maze also hidden behind hedges... If you stepped on one - you were kicked out to start over. (OK - that might have been a bit mean), but it was a blast for players trying to rescue the princess at the top of the tower, and I had a lot of fun listening to the various cursing coming through the ventrilo channel while trying not to laugh out loud.

It wasn't just a dungeon to explore though - it was part of a quest line that players followed and later built on for RP Purposes. While we didn't have the ability to put in monsters, the traps, etc. were challenging enough to keep it interesting - and if you were the one who got to the top first, the princess had a great prize for you (I gave away a soulstone token for first place).

Hopefully this dungeon ability can be designed with more "RP quest" potential, or even "Dungeon Master" appeal.

6. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I believe "episode 2 complete" is down the road a ways. Much like episode 1, we will that content as it becomes available, ahead of episode 2's "release."

LoneStranger likes this.
  7. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator SOTA Developer

8. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Boring!?

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  9. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Very exciting!

• The one catch is that they will likely all have to have the same faction to avoid players setting up monster arenas where monsters just endlessly fight each other.
    Don't give rewards for monsters that were damaged by other monsters.

Regarding rewards 1-2 tiers lower, what if owners could flag their dungeon as "Finished"? At that point it's rating and play time starts counting anew.

With a high enough rating, if they devs ever have time to play through it, you could flag it as "Approved" and the rewards would jump up to their true tier based numbers?

If the owner changes it in the future it drops back down to being unapproved.

Anyway, no matter what I'm sure excited for this. Trying to finish up the Factorium so I have free time to build a dungeon soon!

Witcheypoo likes this.
  10. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I know some people are excited about this stuff and it seams interesting, id like to know if taming and fishing will be good any time soon? I know this stuff is being worked and seeing some notes in reguards to these would be appreciated.

11. Chris

My only effort on this has been to set up a few prefabs and direct others. I'll be hitting taming and pet specialization when I return from my much needed vacation.

12. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Damn dude enjoy ur self....take a extra week uve earned it

Witcheypoo and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  13. Chris

Same! I'm also excited about how we extend this into non-dungeon spaces for stuff like castles and forts in open spaces. Baby steps first. Gotta test it at smaller scale and then ramp up once we get the kinks worked out.

14. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Have fun, relax and enjoy!

15. Floors

Floors Avatar

Can you make the crypt entrance not boring maybe ?

16. Violette Dyonisys

Violette Dyonisys Avatar

Cool for taming, but what about Fishing? Do you know what is going on with that? Do you think you could get the person in charge of fishing to give us an idea of what he/she will be giving us like you do with your blog? I know that for me and for MANY others, this is an aspect of the game we are eager to see an update come.

majoria70, Brass Knuckles and Elrond like this.
  17. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I agree. Fish need to have weights and lengths to catch the biggest fish. Also different fish should prefer different bait types so we need more types of bait . We also need some upper tier recipes for fish as well and fishing merchants can give a daily quest to give out a special pole and some rare bait for helping them for a example. I'm hoping for much more of course than this but I will stop here with what I feel are must haves.

Elrond likes this.
  18. Oakenhammer

Oakenhammer Avatar

Any update on having resources (specifically, ore) spawn in player dungeons so we can design our own mines and/or have specific encounter rooms that also have resource nodes?

Since the dungeon system using the same tech as the deco system and the deco system has multiple classifications of deco that can be placed (container, light, objects for both internal and external and NPCs), I think it would make sense to have multiple classifications of dungeon "deco", each with their own limits based upon max dungeon point size. It would be a consistent user experience with lot deco and it would give finer control to mitigate the above described situation. Something like this:
    • Lights - limited to what performance can sustain
    • Containers - limited to prevent exploitation of unlimited item storage, quest containers
    • Objects - limited to what performance can sustain, deco for rooms
    • NPCs - limited to what performance can sustain, allied NPCs (quest givers, companions, mercenaries, defenders, etc.)
    • Traps - mildly limited (1 per 2 max dungeon points)
    • Encounters - somewhat limited (1 per 5 max dungeon points),
    • Resource Encounters - very limited (1 per 50 max dungeon points), concentration of resource nodes like ore rooms
    • Boss Encounters - extremely limited (1 per 100 max dungeon points), high reward encounters (demons, dragons, named bosses, etc.)

Tiina Onir likes this.
  19. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

YES!
    I built a maze house in UO for a Guild quest, that had deceptive floors & dead-ends. There was only one way/path to complete the "quest"/maze.
    I had a ball creating it & then watching the Guildies get detoured by the "traps".
    It was a one hit wonder, but was enjoyed by all.

Jaesun and FrostII like this.
  20. FrostII

FrostII Avatar

@Chris
    In your blog today you said:
    When you say "UT is better this release but still a little too good", could you expound a bit on what you mean by "a little too good" ?

Is it "too good" because it is so popular - like the monkeys used to be ?
    (Yes, you "fixed" the monkeys, and now it's a dead zone......)
    Was that your intention ?

Are people getting too much experience in UT ? Is that your concern ?

Will you make it sufficiently difficult that people won't aggregate there anymore ?

You may not believe this, but I'm on your side, Chris !

Please consider that double xp's and UT have kept people playing, joining groups with people they've never fought with before, and having fun raising their characters.

UT is a place where my guild can go and take our "newer" players to get the xp's to make them stronger.

Why is that a problem ???

On the one hand, you give us the carrot with double xp's, and then when we find a good place to take advantage of that - you apparently think that it is - "too good".....
    This baffles me.

Here's what everyone I know says we need about now:

We need MORE spawns like UT - so we do not become bored by having only one place to maximize our efforts.
    We have only so much time to play each day, and naturally gravitate to the most efficient place to advance our characters.

I plead with you to NOT nerf UT - like you did with the monkeys.
    It's fine like it is.

Instead, give us more places like UT - where we can maximize our efforts.
    More variety - so we all don't need to congregate in one spot - like UT is now.

Please, please....... I beseech you to rethink this. ;)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Ataniiq, Gamician, Lockey2 and 7 others like this.