Random Discussion About Chris' Daily Blog

Discussion in 'Developer Depot' started by Chris, Apr 5, 2017.

1. redfish

redfish Avatar

The way people talk about this is strange.

I agree rewards are an important aspect of gameplay and a good motive for players; ie getting XP, loot, etc. But if a scene stops being fun because you get less rewards, how fun was it to begin with ?

Yea, the aspects of UT that encourage grouping are nice, but there are a lot of ways to encourage grouping in the game. The players here are right that places that feel worth going to and grouping in should be spread out across the map, so people don't feel they always have to go in the same place. There are a lot of benefits to this, including that people wouldn't feel they have to travel as much to have fun (removes some complaints about the OW map). It doesn't necessarily mean the only or best model for doing this way is to clone UT, which everything considered is a relatively boring scene, and put it everywhere on the map.

Witcheypoo and twofoldsilence like this.
  2. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Good idea, a round Robin of social play.

3. Mac2

Mac2 Avatar

There is no point in trying to argue what some people find fun and others dont, Some like dance parties, some dont, some like to pvp, some dont, some like crafting, some dont, and that is perfectly fine. The problems arise when someone thinks " I don't like this, it should be changed to what I like" instead of actually talking to people and finding out others perspectives.

Dont like dance parties, dont go, but dont ask for them to be stopped because you dont like it. Dont like to pvp, then dont, but dont ask for it to stop because you dont like it. Dont like to craft, then dont, but dont ask for it to stop because you dont like it. Dont like to grind, then dont, but dont ask it to stop because you dont like it.

All these people who are enjoying UT, are they hurting you by doing so? Are these other people enjoying themselves taking away your enjoyment?

The shoe that fits one pinches another, there is no recipe for life that suits all. - Carl Jung

Aeryk, Witcheypoo, Vero and 10 others like this.
  4. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Excellent comments, insightful hits nail on head.

5. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

There are probably 20 other farming spots people can go to all over the map right now instead of UT that give the same amount of XP at the same rate or better. The issue is that UT fired up with the LFG tool and it took off as the primary thing to do. I still see some rise groups in there on occasion but they clearly arnt popular.

The only way to fix this is for a few of the people who already know CP's to start forming groups in those spots and train people a bit.

I dont know anyone who wouldn't join a CP over UT right now other then they may be embarrassed the first time that they dont know what to do.

6. redfish

redfish Avatar

@2112Starman

The reason many players like UT is not just the rewards, but that high-level characters are given an incentive to group with low-level characters and vice versa. The Rise is mostly for high-level grouping.

I think there are ways to create that kind of incentive through different ways in the game other than giving an easy grind with high rewards, but also should also help underline one of the ways in which too much stress on adv level can have a negative effect on gameplay.

7. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

I agree with both the last two good comments Star an and Reddish, but a point of detail.. I can't recall anyone below 85+being allowed access to a Tears group for over a month or more.

8. Brewton

Brewton Avatar

I had ran groups with people lower than 85+, anyone at any level can access it. Just like the Rise, CPs, Monkey Room, etc. It's just having people who will take you through it and such. Last we I grouped up with people of all level ranges for the Rise. It's just that there are some who are requiring people lvl 85 and above so that it's easier for them, but I'm not like that and I know others that are not as well.

9. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

ya, they made it harder.

I used to to be able to allow 3 and even 4 new players into a tears group. With the changes, depending on the players in the group I can only allow 1-2. In some cases with a generally lower lvl group I have to ask the guy with 400 hp to leave because people start dying.

Tears isnt easy mode any more with the change 2 weeks ago. You need people with significant power to run it now and you actually need a proper healer and tank group. That guy with 400-500 hp and one GM in archery isnt doing much at all to help out.

Believe me, it kills me. I have 111 GMs now (50 I dont use) to help train people in UT.

10. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

I dont think he is making changes to UT because of pug groups.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  11. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Agreed! I am now more picky about the groups I join. If I join a group that has say 4 people with 1 gm in archery and 503 hp I will leave. This has actually forced me into starting more groups on my own. If not, yes, I am dying and I have been almost immune to dying since persistence (I can usualy heal out of anything).

Chris's stats may be showing that there are still a lot of UT groups going on but it reality, its no longer easy mode and the people in them who used to give it 10% attention now need to give it 50% (Ill give them 50% since even I have netflix on a lot) and low level people are no longer being allowed. I hope hes seeing this before making snap nurf adjustments... yes... again... we are dying a lot more in Tears... Chris, look up that stat.

in 90% of the last spawn pulls (the 2200 Lichs), its been chaos in the group, very difficult and someone seems to always die (or at least a few players darting across the area running away from a lich on their arss which is always funny to watch.. <low voice> watch yer dps dude)

12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I assume that PUG stands for pick-up group, correct? So, why do some of you keep saying PUG group(s) instead of just PUG(s)?

13. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Same thing for people who say "you want my VIN number on my car" :)

14. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

As long as risk vrs reward is balanced I think its fine if ut pays 1 million then the stuff thats harder and more risky should be better. If ut gets buffed up to match the harder stuff then they need more mid range stuff that still is rewarding. A good step up for the 60-80s advl people.

The one thing ut did that is great is it really shined a light on LFG and grouping.

15. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

If you have 2 or 3 high level players you can carry several newer ones easily enough as ut is currently.

When I join groups that say 100+ I find 3 or 4 that are well below that and every still runs smooth.

The request I would like to see @Chris is the attenuation icon to be improved its wonky or is that by design?

Witcheypoo likes this.
  16. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Chris likes this.
  17. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

I think thats the toughest thing to balance ...making mid lvl range areas feel as rewarding for mid lvl players as the high lvl areas feel for the top 5% .... and at the same time making sure mid lvl areas dont get farmed by the top players because they can kill stuff there faster .... then a low level.

Brass Knuckles likes this.
  18. Floors

Floors Avatar

What I would like to know is if you reduced XP given out this release in UT, but you are making mobs harder in the next release, won't that make the XP increase as well and negate the change in this release ?

19. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I agree and im glad its not my job to do it @Chris

Tiina Onir likes this.
  20. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

YES! It seems to work less-then-consistantly, and can we PLEASE put it at the top right, just like Over-capacity, damages armor, and Damaged weapons? I thought it was bad enough having to open that huge, unresizable skills window just to see the little bitty section about the pool, but now I have to open it to see an icon the size of one one character of text!