Random Discussion About Chris' Daily Blog

Discussion in 'Developer Depot' started by Chris, Apr 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator SOTA Developer Ambassador

Agree. It will be slightly better this release but the ground work has been laid for massive changes in the future.

Sway, Rentier, Witcheypoo and 8 others like this.
  2. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

As a treasure hunter, thats music to my ears! Im more excited about this new loot table than dungeon or anything else :p

ps: dont forget to fix the scary doll! ;p

Dhanas and Tila Tenderfoot like this.
  3. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

And the shield block . As death mage im having really hard time healing with death ray ..it gets blocked too much...if i cant heal with death spells as death mage theres no death build viable ... not to mention best areas in the game like UT are off limits as death mage.

Dhanas likes this.
  4. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

I dont know if it would be hard to have a range of loot be random prefix and suffix which give different stats to items. Like in diablo, you add like 10 prefix with stats, 10 suffix with stats, a weapon drop and have either 1 or 2 (or none) of them on it.
    That would give something like "a polished crossbow of vanquishing", polished give +5 dex, vanquishing +5 str (just an example...) could also give +5 level in a skill or whatever. 10 prefix and 10 suffix is 100 new weapon kind that are random and rare to get a specific one, that would fit a 2% drop category, while the uber unique, should be 0.01% imo.

5. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

Now -------------
    100-500gp ( the oracle drops 500 a day :)
    raw crafting components like ore or even an ingot or two
    item components like a hilt, blade, axe head bow string or bow stave ( just normal materials )
    gem fragments are always good
    gems
    at least a gray bag
    chances at other bags
    perhaps an animal carcass that is still fresh (obsidian (deer, boar, bear, wolf) )
    potions
    repair kits
    scrolls
    chance at artifacts
    bits of armor not all of them rusty/worn but in need of good repair ( an avatar a day keeps the doctor away )

Later ------------------
    fancy jewelry to sell for gold or to craft into usable items ( gold rings, jeweled necklaces, ect..)
    crafting ingredients to enhance current recipes. (dragons blood to quench a blade in for extra durability or give armor better DR, unicorn hair to weave into clothes or bow strings, ect..)
    item (note, map, ect...) starting a small side quest for additional buried/hidden loot

Much Later --------------
    Totally separate crafting ingredients to be crafted at special zones. Important here though is to require multiple of theses for the recipes so you can drop some and we feel like we are making progress getting something but it isn't the whole thing. So say like you need 5 Daemon scales, 10 phoenix beaks, 7 dragons teeth + x + y + z for one recipe for a helm with fire DR or soemthing. This allows you to give a very good chance on dropping the ingredient and the players get to make progress but we still have to kill a lot of creature X.

Just a quick brain storm

6. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

The I think the wisp's debuff is still about all they do. I don't think they are intended to give damage, their sole contribution being that debuf. Although maybe the debuf will cause them to take aggro and be a bit of a meat-shield now (but I wouldn't hold my breath)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  7. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

they also float to and flash green at harvestable things, but that's less useful since they made them more visible

Tiina Onir likes this.
  8. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

I've been told that, but personally I never really noticed it working. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

9. Anpu

Anpu Bug Hunter

Yeah that’s fine for the Stag encounter, not so much in adventure areas with lots of hostile things that will kill it if it’s in patrol mode.

10. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

@Chris

• Polearm max crit damage reduced from 2.5 to 2.25 to soften the biggest hits a hair

How about normalizing our crit in general ... Pole is already really behind Sword in regards to PVE damage. The only reason why Pole is so good in PVP is because of it's potential burst.... I would even say get rid of all of our crit damage bonus and just give us critical hit chance. Either that or bring sword closer to being an equal choice instead of the hands down best thing to use for PVE damage. Sword is drastically out pacing everyone ... It's cheeper to use ... It's just better than both Mace and Pole.

I know you personally love polearms... Is there any justifacation to why sword is so good other than richard wants it that way ? XP being spent in a given class of weapon should mean the same. Currently my 120 mil or so in polearm would mean a lot more damage in swords. Damage = tanking ability. When Raiding comes around Swords will be the only viable tanking Method because of the shear amount of damage that comes from 3x 6 stack rends.

Secondly when are you going to fix armor ?

DR is extremely broken for high level players... so much that unless it's a PVP situation... DR is irrelavent. NPC's hit so hard that the nominal differences between 50 Dr and 100 DR will not change the outcome of the fight. The Level of DR need to come from armor in order to make it feel meaningful needs to be close to 200. Valiant Warden was a great bandaid over this problem but it doesn't change the fact that DR in it's current implementation is broken. There was mention a while ago of adding in armor resistances or DR multipliers per damage types. I understand there is a bit of work implementing different damage types across the game. Hell i would settle for going to a Standardized AC system like any other AAA MMO out there. Right now our DR system is terribly convoluted and is ultimately worthless in end game content. If you don't agree with me then ask why end game melee's prefer the extra HP and 0 DR while tanking dragons with zerkers stance.

11. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Since you asked, here are a few suggestions on loot. I think loot should be progressive. The harder the fight, the better the loot always. There are many ways to accomplish this without breaking the game or bank. For example, dyes would be a good drop. Perhaps single use simple dyes as occasional drops on minor mobs all the way through more complex dyes and rare colors on the hardest mobs. These dyes might fade out in a few days to a week, keeping demand for them high while not flooding the game with everyone being satisfied with all the dyes they can use and losing interest in going after more. Another idea might be fishing lures. Limited use items that can also have progressive value or unique use depending on the location from which they were found. The same could be done with food items, crafting bonus items, etc.

nonaware likes this.
  12. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

Maybe bosses could pull some loot off you and run off.

Jaesun likes this.
  13. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Those are called "imps". Watch out for them. ;)

14. Sway

Sway Avatar

tier 2 crafting mats could be used as drops.

15. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Loot Suggestion

Add combo skill cards to loot table ...increase their number ....all skills that can benefit from combo added to deck will now appear as combo skill during fights without the need to drag and drop cards on top of each other .

Add pet skills cards to loot table ... higher pet level ..better skills he can learn..can make them in 3 version weak , normal , strong ( green ..yelow , purple cards) ....being able to control when your pet is going to heal you or when he will do his special attacks can be a great feature for the game.

We need more loot that helps to improve character ...so far we only have 1 type...artifacts. Toadstools ...forks...rusty weapons... gems ...these dont help to improve a character... and they certainly dont have that wow feeling one should get when killing something really hard ...wow i killed this and got this amazing item thats gonna help me kill x lot easier. ... add some components that when applied to weapons or armor can improve them more then once...outside the crafting system.

This is just my personal opinion but i feel the game really lacks in progression feeling after level 100 ....be it looting..crafting...combat skills...its pretty much the same no matter what level your character is.

1 Looting - Gold drops should scale depending on the tier area someone is farming. If you kill a mob in tier 1 you should get 10 gold..if you kill a mob in tier 10 you should get 100 gold.... or 5 gold and 50 gold .... now i think its more of tier 1 gives 20 gold..tier 10 gives 25 gold ..no progression in loot. This can also allow low lvl areas to become more populated ..every tier 1-2-3 i been its like 1 mob here 1 crocodile there and at the back a camp with 5 more mobs you kill in 5 sec and then you just sit around waiting for respawn another 5-10 minutes.

2.Crafting - Everything is available at level 100 ..nothing after that...no progression ... and i dont mean make more powerfull masterworks ..i mean make more stuff available every 5-10 levels after 100 ( recipes aditional enchants masterworks so on).

3 .Combat - After level 100 you just grind away for every 1 % extra dmg -- the progression feeling is better then other two i mentioned but it pretty much hits a wall once you reach 140 or 150..theres nothing else to do with the xp except maximise 2 maybe 3 skills till the returns are so small .... allow more character development after level 100 .... for example more skill branches in same trees that become available after reaching level 100 -110-120-130 so on in certain skills.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  16. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Wood and metal scrap are becoming difficult to find and when i do find some to buy the prices are sometimes outrageous... any plans to adress this @Chris ?

Metal Scraps - Everyone these days is farming the new area Upper Tears - problem is none is salvaging the loot they get there (or very few) because the good prices for weaps and armor from NPC its easier and sometimes more profitable to just sell the loot ... that leaves a big gap with metal scraps on the market ..price has more then doubled in last 2 months and going up from 1.5g to 3g-4g per metal scrap.

Wood - 2 months ago i was buying wood for 15k-20k /1000 wood now the price is 70k/ 1000 wood . With everyone doing UT all day ... and none doing sieges ( lot of wood came from there) the result in price is noticeable. Not to mention all the new features added ingame require lot and lots of wood ( casks for brewing...wood used to gain craft XP ...dungeon modules next )

Perhaps its time to increase wood drop from siege engineer and metal scraps received from rusty weaps and armor ?

17. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I've been hoping the market changes will cause people to just start logging again. We used 400,000 more wood than we produced in the last 3 months, so stockpiles have dwindled significantly. I think it's a good thing, it means the market is functioning, people just haven't adjusted their play to reflect it yet.

Go chop down trees people!

(These market changes might actually pull some away from UT, since now there will be more gold to be made elsewhere.)

Tiina Onir and Jaesun like this.
  18. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I would sell mine way cheap, but got tired of helping the lazy ones make profits off my sweat... they would buy cheap from me to just sell high to others, when all I wanted to do was help the poor out, so now I sell just a tad under what others sell things for.... As Chris would say, "That's why we can't have nice things in this game."

Rentier, autodeath and Sole like this.
  19. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

@Elrond Pretty sure they nerfed sieges even further in one of the last couple of releases, dropping the amount of wood you can get once again. So it seems the developers are moving in the opposite direction. ;)

20. Anpu

Anpu Bug Hunter

I have lots of wood, I am very happy about the current rising price for it......, ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.