Random Discussion About Chris' Daily Blog

Discussion in 'Developer Depot' started by Chris, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

So, at first a sorry to @Elrond i didn't quote him because i wanted to mark him as super-bad or something. I only quoted him because it was the last post regarding this topic.

Yes. Well. That isn't very creative, is it ;-)?
    But for a start why not.

So what about stuff like that:

Growing lamps. Guess there isn't much to explain.
    Mushrooms and other stuff that grows in the darkt/twilight/shadows (and new recipes that use them ofc).
    Pre stacked planting beds with/without lights.
    Watering systems.
    Bigger greenhouses (town lot sized dope farm anyone?).
    A working public farming system ^^
    And what about if we let pot oweners build real farms? They could mark empty space as farming space or something like that.

@Chris

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    Jaesun, Alley Oop and Elrond like this.
  2. FrostII

FrostII Avatar

Ok, that sounds good.
    Except for:
    Stacking beds should require light for the plants below that are blocked from light.

3. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Or plants that don't need light. Would be ok for me if you, let's say, grow corn on the top bed and mushroom on the lower one.

FrostII likes this.
  4. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Err... not really.

So are you saying Port should give something back to all the exploiters that exploited The Rise, Control Points and other things to death only because Port decided to fix (take away) the exploits?
    It's no different with stacking planting beds, why for gods sake should Port give you something back if they simply want to fix an exploit?

You are probably one of the most richest players currently here on SotA, how many town lots do you have? 5? 6? or even more?
    You could probably afford like 20 town lots with your ingame igg revenue.

You are planting currently 750+ seeds with greenhouses in one town lot with an x2 growth rate.
    After the fix you may be able to plant like 500 seeds with greenhouses which is still a lot more effective than just planting 800 seeds without greenhouses.

I really don't get why YOU, i mean, YOU, Elrond one of the super crafters makes such an big deal about this topic.

Some people just never can get enough i guess...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    FrostII likes this.
  5. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Frack off?

6. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Mhhhhhhhh...nope?

GrayFog likes this.
  7. Drake Aedus

Drake Aedus Avatar

I'm really going to miss my greenhouses... they were efficient, yet not extreme, easily took an hour to maintain each watering cycle so it was still time invested work, and not an eyesore in my opinion. I won't spam our houses with planting beds, it'll ruin the yard.

Farewell sweet greenhouses, I hope I'll be able to get cheap reagents from someone who doesn't mind an ugly yard.

*queue Taps on the bugle*

[​IMG]

8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

RIP and still it is great you will have a picture for the history of changes of Shrouds one day. That might be an interesting book to write. I am sorry it did not work out. I hate creative endeavors to be squashed in this game all on the word of the economy will suffer *sighs*. Now that could be a matter of opinion for those not economy minded. The changes with teleporting will let players choose their own favorite vendor anyway. Let the competition begin lol j/k maybe. Now to just get more opportunity and tools to make those vendors even more unique in how we can sell;). I still want to make little bags of goodies but so far we cannot sell from our little bags but here's hoping one day we will be able to. I would sell little bags of many things. We need to get the ability to trade full bags working imo. ;)

9. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Plus if people want an explanation why something is working. Just say because it's magic!

Hey it worked for Darkstarr in explaining why crappy rusted swords and bows hurt so much :)

Mishikal likes this.
  10. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

Tetanus.

Chatele likes this.
  11. Silverti

Silverti Avatar

To Chris and the nay sayers, stop ruining peoples game play. We already ran off 98% of the people who have tried this game and there is no one left playing, why run some more players off?

Azzamean and Arya Stoneheart like this.
  12. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Bug Brigade - Bug Hunter

I think vertical planting/farming was intended since the beginning of the system.

Can someone please explain to me why:
    1. The agriculture skills have a spherical activation area and not just a flat circular area if vertical farming was not intended?

2. Why are planting pots and beds allowed to be placed on objects other than the ground or house floor if vertical farming wasn't intended?

I think the Devs intended us to be creative all along and make the best use of our limited space... and designed the agriculture system that way on purpose. But, just like Brewing, they didn't expect us to be as efficient as we were through creative use of the tools given to us.

13. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

o_O

o_O
    o_O

Let me know when enraged timer expires .

Mishikal, K1000 and Silverti like this.
  14. Tila Tenderfoot

Tila Tenderfoot Avatar

Agree 1000%. I've been fuming over this issue for 2 days and didn't want to post anything too outrageous. What others see as an exploit to me looks like ingenuity. While I don't have the skill/open mind to contort the planting beds in certain ways, I am amazed that people can do it. [​IMG]

1. Stacking ruins the economy. Probably the most favorite argument people use. I visited 6 market towns yesterday (wasted 2 hours) and tried to find the farmer vendors and their planting locations. Surprise! 75% of the farmers whose farming locations I found do not stack planting beds at all, and only one of them stacked vertically.

Some say that people sell the crops to NPCs and make loads of money this way. I am no Bob Woodward, so please kindly correct me as to how selling to NPCs ruins the economy, because the profit margin is quite low. There are faster ways to ruin the economy, aka events of today, smaller player base, multitude of artifacts flooding the market, demand for wood, crafted armor/weapons that don't break, double crafting xp, etc.

2. Stacking is a known bug/exploit. I thought using granite blocks, columns or the trash that drops from mobs is the intended use, otherwise what's the point of having them in game.

Some say stacking is an exploit because it is not realistic. We are playing a video game in case you forgot. Many of us play to escape reality.

Some say that even though stacking is fun for people who do it, it is an exploit and must be eliminated. Some compared it to pickpocketing even - fun for the people who do it but had to be eliminated for the greater good. I doubt you can make a good return on the farming compared to pickpocketing even if you stack. 1.5 k per greenhouse row without stacking can hardly compare to the loot gained with pickpocketing. Even if a farmer stacks a lot, the profit is negligible imho.

The devs did not express their disappointment with the stacking during a livestream several weeks ago, and in fact showed some of the gardening areas on twitch. Moreover, there were exactly zero (0) negative comments posted about farming from the devs, and the 2 farming guides that show some stacking are still listed and unlocked in the Player Created Resources area of the forums.

3. Stacking is bad for the game. Some people noted that the stacked farming is not aesthetically pleasing - why would you even care what other people do on their property? Shouldn't we be happy that there are devoted people who actually play the game?

Stacking is a use of decorating that doesn't really give an advantage to players when all are allowed to do it, barring of course their decorating skill. Stacking actually helps newer players because it can be done in a row house. Stacking means that people with any sized lots can farm their crops and feel good about their property, regardless of the property's value.

In short, stacking is a fun activity and if it were by design, I would call it brilliant.

[​IMG]

15. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

Maybe We could get paid igg for not growing certain crops.

Verit likes this.
  16. Verit

Verit Avatar

Soy beans and corn for everyone!!!

Tiina Onir likes this.
  17. Jigger48

Jigger48 Avatar

Also don't forget at least 2 plants prefer no light in the game to so you can't really say that is the problem ie nightshade and mandrake both do better in dark(night) :) Biggest thing is still the deco limit so see nothing wrong with doing it although the vertical stuff maybe a bit much but using blocks to stack i would have thought was intended esp when as someone above said they showed them on livestream and had no problem with it at all there. Only thing I can see is someone or some people must have complained because they couldn't do it so no one else should be able to either :)
    Oh well enough on this I guess we shall see what happens after patch.

I just don't like to see them scaring people away over something like this when there are more important things they should be working on like more areas to xp in like ut but not undead everything in this game seems to revolve around undead or death magic immune anyway leaving death magic as a thing people lvl to get resists it seems as to many things are immune now to make it viable in most places. yet nothing is even close to immune to any kind of phy dmg. although there are things sort of partially immune to earth dmg which actually is supposed to be phy dmg but apparently isn't when it comes down to it. hehe changed topic there oh well done for now :)

MANTACO and Tila Tenderfoot like this.
  18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

[​IMG]

Alleine Dragonfyre and Jaesun like this.
  19. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Nice try, i just think you are greedy, that is all.

Demanding something in return because Port wants to fix something o_O

Complaining about loosing 250~ seeds in an town lot because of a possible fix while you easily could just place some extra planting beds outside of the greenhouses.
    But no you just demand a x2 bonus on all of them, without the x2 bonus farming simply just doesn't exists for you because it hurts your effectiness o_O
    Just place some outside or place one extra town lot, you, expecially you can get plenty of thoose.

Whining about being possibly only able to seed like 500 seeds within greenhouses in a town lot after the possible fix.
    Even thought 500 seeds withing greenhouses are still a lot more effective than planting 800 seeds without greenhouses.

You easily could counter most if not everything with all the igg, assets and ressources you have acquired by now. Your overall richiness definetly keeps increasing on an daily basis.
    It should be absolutely no problem for you, expecially for you to counter possible fixes such as the planting beds stacking.

Last but not least, you are the one who wants to enrage and demolish all his farming lots if such an fix really gets released, not me :D

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  20. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

That just completly looks wrong.

A fix definetly is needed there, no sunlight and like no room for the plants below to grow...

And how are you supposed anyway to water the plants right below the planting beds with your watering can?

Hey i know this is a game and realism is way off anyways, but wow your screenshot example just looks and feels so wrong...