Random Discussion About Chris' Daily Blog

Discussion in 'Developer Depot' started by Chris, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Gyzarus

Gyzarus Avatar

How about this, lower down the price of seeds, increase the price of mature plants, this will drive the players to seek the player vendors for affordable price and the farmers can earn decent money by selling to the npcs vendors as well, i will see this as a final result for everyone to stop the argument.

2. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

3. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

4. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

What is about leaving enough room between the beds that the plant has place to grow? And if there is not enough place for the mature plant, it will not grow at all.
    Space needed can be checked on sawing (seeding? soying?) (put the seed into earth).

5. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Bug Brigade - Bug Hunter

I do agree that the plants should require "room to grow" above the growing/mature plant. But I also think that stacking planter beds or pots should still be possible as we have been able to do so far. From what I understood from Chris' post, we will still be able to do this, but they won't grow if there isn't enough room (which I think is fair and makes sense).

The problem I see with fixing this is that not all plants are the same size/height. So, is there going to be a fixed minimum distance required (based on the largest sized plant)? Or, will each plant require a different amount of space in between?

I think we can work with either option (although the latter would be preferred by me)... but we just need to know in advance what the new restrictions will be so we can adjust our farms accordingly.

Sentinel2 and GrayFog like this.
  6. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Yup, i think you are right.
    You probably still can build/stack beds with rocks and pillars even after the fix.
    Which is fine then as long there is enough room and as long it doesn't look akward like in some screenshots...

7. Jigger48

Jigger48 Avatar

yeah and change how watering works in that instead of if you miss a watering make it that the next phase doesn't start till you do water etc.
    Also why does a bucket of water cost 2g even to that should be included in the price drops maybe? or a way to gather water more then 1 at a time even but i would love to see greenhouses get some kind of bonus besides time and watering could be one of them and a way to stack somewhat to get better use of space in greenhouse over planting on ground outside.

8. Dulayne

Dulayne Avatar

This is where my idea of having some multi-layer beds could come into action. Multi-layer cotton beds, multi-layer mandrake, multiple layer apple, etc and so on. That could prove helpful. :) However good old adapting and tweaking our layouts should work. Like today I am going to do the best I can to fit a 5th greenhouse on my town plot (within reason) to make up for losing avenues to grow through.

9. Dulayne

Dulayne Avatar

See I have found since I started gardening, people find my Vendor quite well. This is through making the effort to negotiate the right spot and networking/mingling with customers. I feel people just want things to be best suited to the farmers for the least amount of work. I know not everyone may enjoy the work involved in being a good salesman/woman more than others, but if we keep on trying to get things to be "optimal", it is just going to spoil the fun for everyone.

Again it comes down to us wanting the game to be simpler for new players, but at the same time making the right calls to balance easy over realism. I know Port are working on moving away from some realism, but I do not think that adjusting the prices of crops will really make a HUGE dent.

10. Adrian (Kung Fu Master)

Adrian (Kung Fu Master) Avatar

Why mess with something that many people are enjoying in Agriculture to please the few people that don’t do farming at all? Most people are complaining about the verticals farming are not farmers at all.

Very disappointed in the decision as Quality of life would be reversed. I thought the QOL should be better with R57 and R58.

The reason I introduced vertical farming to all Players was to spark interest to players in Agriculture once again. To increase the farmers’ QOL that was non-existed back then. I knew it would have negative feedbacks from non farmers players but at least it kept people from leaving SOTA.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  11. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

not a QoL feature... it's an exploit. I don't have a thing against being creative, but images like those in the "advanced Agriculture guide" are so simply and obviously out of bounds that I can't believe this is even being discussed.

Get rid of it.

And replace it with something that allows creativity AND makes sense! Yes, it will involve some more coding, but allow stacking as long as there are checks in place to make sure the seed being planted has the space and light to mature.

Sample growth cycle check:
    • Is there light? If yes, move on... if no, plant doesn't grow and growth cycle is lost.
    • Is there space? If yes, plant grows. If no plant doesn't grow and growth cycle is lost.

Are you going to lose your massive exploit yields? Yes, as you should. Be happy it went this long.

Will they be COMPLETELY wiped out (which would happen if they simply remove the ability to do this)? No. You will still be able to stack to a point, and may even be able to stack in more places.

Chatele, Malimn, GrayFog and 3 others like this.
  12. Tila Tenderfoot

Tila Tenderfoot Avatar

Actually, the planting beds are propped up on granite blocks and there is plenty of space underneath for mandrake, nightshade, pumpkins and probably other crops.

Chatele, Mishikal and Jigger48 like this.
  13. Adrian (Kung Fu Master)

As I’ve said, most people don’t understand the vertical farming because they’re not a farmer. You don’t get to appreciate something if you don’t have your hands in it. We don’t gain extra gold nor output as we are limited to the deco limit. Constraints by deco limit and cost of water/seeds.
    Spending 1-2 hours watering/sowing/harvesting on your farm is not improving Agriculture QOL

If lighting and spacing are the issue, then we need to stop the indoor and basement law of physic farming as well. Make rain helps water the crops.
    I see people complaining about it breaks the law of physic by not having enough space nor sun light. What about global banking? Players are breaking the law of physics to have a better QOL, not because we want to exploit things.

14. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

Well, as far as I'm concerned global banking and just go DIAF. Even that they've implemented stupidly. If they're going to do it (and to be clear, they shouldn't be), they should at least drop the now COMPLETELY USELESS deposit location, so items can stack.

15. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Lets look at your post...
    You have to meet certain conditions for your technique to work. The singular fact that it doesn't work on every lot in every situation in every type of town, is clearly indicative of an exploit.

Lets look at the claim of not getting any more yield...

You are taking the same space, and under the previously noted specific conditions, with some creative placement that I truly applaud, you are able to use the space that would normally only get you 80 planting spaces to produce 240.

Tell me again how you do not have greater than intended yield?

16. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

If that's really the case then ok i have no problem with it.

On the Screenshot it kinda looked like the beds are right on top of each other.

17. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

lol @Elrond

Guys, the bottom line is that the planters were designed to be on the ground. Did we know that? Kinda but not definitively. They want to fix a flaw in THEIR design. Since it is THEIR design, no other opinion is correct. Their word is law, they are the gods.

Now, was stacking ingenious? Yes! Was is something I was about to do myself? Yes, but now that I know it's considered an exploit, I will not. Now that they've said it's an exploit, that is what it is. Period. Their game, their design, they are the gods.

Do I think this might make way for new and interesting greenhouse items with new gardening mechanics in the future? YOU BET!

Can we move on now?

18. Tila Tenderfoot

Tila Tenderfoot Avatar

Check for yourself - greenhouses in Festival.

19. Adrian (Kung Fu Master)

Human are not designed to fly either by the intention of nature But we found ways to bend the laws of physic creating airplane. Is that wrong? I don’t see anyone complaint on this exploitation to the laws of physic. We call it innovation.

If we’re allowed to have 475 deco limit in a village lot, then I don’t see what is the exploitation if we stay within the deco limit. It’s not breaking the coding or restrict.

We all tend to jump to conclusions so fast but we ignore the logic reasoning behind what is allowed and what is not.

Elrond and Tila Tenderfoot like this.
  20. Tila Tenderfoot

Tila Tenderfoot Avatar

The flaw in design that somehow neglects the item limits. Come on.

Elrond likes this.