Random Discussion About Chris' Daily Blog

Discussion in 'Developer Depot' started by Chris, Apr 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

Adjusted math for hit point calculations to make character less important. Previously it was a base value * (1+level/33). Looking switching this to base*(1+level/40). For a fairly extreme case of level 100 and all skills at 100, hp max drops from 696 to 593. This will also effect creatures in the same way. Goal is to continue to slowly erode the value of level. (Though stats are essentially tied to level and still play a large role in hp/focus)

Time to get pumped up!

Time Lord and 2112Starman like this.
  2. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

Adjusted HP will actually make constantan armor and the +hp enchants worthwhile. Since they are not a % bonus for material or enchant they have been cruddy in the past.
    Hopefully not so cruddy anymore. Thank you.
    I always thought adv level was a stupid idea for HP. If I hit you in the back of the head with my hammer while you are unaware it should 1) never miss, 2) possible deflect by my poor skill, 3) greatly increase crit, 4) should hurt anyone!

Stundorn and Time Lord like this.
  3. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

In response to this whole post I have to say lol... you can be so bi-polar some times.

I wasn't talking about decay at all. I was responding to you agreeing that people in the first 2 months used control points to make 1 mil XP an hour after persistence. You locked into the lvl 110 thing but again, Ill say this was the first 2 months of the game. They made lvl 100+ in the first few months after persistence. But again, this was the first 2 months, how many people hit adv lvl 90 in the first 2 months using control points?

I lock onto the lvl 110 thing because of how terrible this is to the player base. 9 months later as a casual hard core with 500 hours in the game I am like many people, I am lvl 95 with what 80 mil XP. These guys have 500 million XP. So calculate how long it will take me to catch up to lvl 110 at my already brisk pace... 3.... 4.... years?

Add to this that they stopped XP'ing 6+ months ago, shifted 100% to crafting and have every GM in the game. This is a whole lot easier to do if you hit lvl 100 in the first 2 months. Now, I give them props for crafting because there was no major XP loopholes... but still... They all have completely cornered the crafting market and guys like me who were able to get a few crafting GM's in the core skills (not the advanced skills under) have literally given up trying. I am also a good 2-3 years away from catching up to them.

bad... bad... bad...

Sad face for Chirs today.

4. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I think you have this comply arss backwards. There are 5 guys on these forums period who are obtusely loud who want full loot PvP.

5. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

From Chris;
    05/18/2017

• Upgrading to a new Unity patch this morning that claims a number of engine crash fixes
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...hris-daily-work-blog.85584/page-2#post-812035

From Time Lord;
    After doing an "all nighter of SOTA", I was fortunate to have been still awake in the Thailand morning to have a chance to see the EVL fights in Virtue Oasis. I love watching the great SOTA fights and fighters and always have. After exhausting all my popcorn and soda pop reserves I had to attend a RL meeting at 10AM which cut me off from getting to see the lower ranked fighters duel at the end, but the beauty of the fighting and entanglement of all the spells that were cast "just made my day!" :)

Your Fighting Tech Art is Exciting and oh so Beautiful @Chris !
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Chris likes this.
  6. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Blunt as usual, considering this thread is 50 pages long and half of it is decay related should actually tell you something. You should read into it a bit more, something you are clearly bluntly ignoring and your responses are really making people madder. For my part, Im not upset about decay, I love your new ideas. I am concerned about you chasing people away from the game which I have a very large pledge in and am heavily invested in Richard and Starrs success in.

Ive been in IT for 25 years myself, part of "customer service" is listening to people and relating to them even if you feel they are wrong, "I understand, I know you want a button that you press once that does your whole job for you, but if that was the case, I could just automate that button press and we would not need you".

Man, just think... people call me a "white knight" for this game and now Im having to rage against the machine.

7. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

You keep throwing out these titles like they should matter, please let them go. Appeals to fame or authority are a crutch and only work against weak positions. They do not actually add weight to well-thought out debate, for either side. Your arguments do not require pointing out that people call you a white knight.

Alley Oop likes this.
  8. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I liked your idea of different choice options in PvP. Consensual Full Loot, does sound like the option of choice when it comes to 2 great PvPer's. Risk = Reward indeed, by consent.
    It separates the small fry from the big dogs and seems to fit into our world full of options.

I know this blog isn't the place to comment on it, yet the more I see of the fighters, the more I see the need for separations within game play. The motives change at a certain level but should not infringe on the other's play mechanics.
    ~TL~:rolleyes:

9. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

I would like to keep my streak of never being banned from a forum (even for a day) alive so I can't post anything as strongly worded as this (He already deleted one of my posts just before declaring no more discussion on decay).

But the bottom line is this entire line of design (including the now announced HP change) has me ready to quit, just cold turkey "have a nice game" I do want to see how the R43 changes pan out and hoped to get a shot at that this weekend, (though family emergency has likely ruled that out). But the more I see design removing the reason and reward for long term play (I'm AL90, about half that total XP in R41) the less I see a reason to play.

I love the idea behind this game, and hoped with the ridiculous high level curve that it could be the long term play game I've aways wanted, but Port seems determined to make it otherwise.

So thats my bye post if nothing changes between now and R43, I have a strong dislike for RMT so I won't be selling anything off. Hopefully things will change eventually and the game will reach its vast potential I would be amiss if I just went silently without trying one last time.

10. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Chris is a big boy, he can dish it and take it.

This is the best thread in the entire forums because its been largely open to more blunt talk.

Chris and Time Lord like this.
  11. Mac2

Mac2 Avatar

Shim is in the top 50 players at adventure level 99, so the 100+ group is still small.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Mac2

Mac2 Avatar

And those people who got to do control points, had to work hard to be able to do them. It not like "hey, lets go do some control points", it required a good level and the right skills and team. Had to at least be level 80 to do anything decent. The people who got there, grinded deep ravenswood like mad.

mikedeathdealer and Time Lord like this.
  13. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Personally speaking, my interactions with those ultra top tier players has found them most willing to lend a hand and help other players out.

Similarly, I find there are a ton of "normal" top tier players also willing to help out other players, such as through livestreaming and creating guides and other resources.

Seems to me that so many helpful people could find a way to get along? :confused:

I think I understand the basic etiology of Control Point Hangover.

What I'm not clear about is exactly what some players are expecting the devs to about it now.

Chris appeared to admit having made a mistake keeping the CP frenzy open too long.

Sounds to me that somewhere around 10 players took advantage of the situation.

What else are we supposed to do now about it? Demand they give a few hundred million XP back?

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

Ahh, but that "Hard work" was easy compared to what has to be done to get the same experience now. meaning it wasn't really hard work.

Those options aren't open to people now. People trying to level now, have to put in REAL hard work, compared to what you did. This is why there were people calling for punishments for those taking advantage of the imbalances. I was not amongst them, because we were told this was coming. What this sounds like to me is "I got mine, too bad for you." If addressing this via the soft-caps system is too painful, it seems to me the only other option is a wipe to remove the advantage given by exploiting the flaws (I'm not advocating this, I think the soft-caps can solve the problem just fine).

You knew this was coming, Chris said it was coming, this isn't (or shouldn't be) a surprise to anyone.

15. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Before they nerfed pets it was quite easy (IMO) for a group with eight spider pets, after that you did need a group of mostly AL >80.

Time Lord and Scraps MacMutt like this.
  16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

@Chris . Well imo it is time to lock this one up. I have been following this thread since the beginning and have read all the ideas, feedback and rants. There is a lot of good feedback but a lot a lot of would of should of going on. I can tell you it is not pretty now.

At first it was interesting to get feedback on Chris' blog which I love reading, but this thread turned sour now. Chris asked us to keep it to feedback and people boo'd him thinking their rants were more important.

We are not going to like every change made to the game. In fact in any game we don't like every single thing.

If the game is overall fun we have more tolerance to the things we don't like.

One of the basic issues/and basic pluses in this game is since it is in development we get to rant about things we don't like now or maybe we do like now.

We also get to rant about things 'we might not like but are not sure yet because we haven't tried them yet'

We also get to rant about 'not fully implemented yet but we think we might not like them when they are'.

We also get to rant about ranting. Get a grip and stop and think which category are you in?

So lets give it a chance and keep the last part at comment not accusation.

Every game is going to have their decay type of thing. The difference is tada...........We just get to experience it in the making and that is truly an honor.

Let's lock this one up and start fresh keeping your category type in mind and also yes to being respectful to each other and to our development team and yes today I'm the police. ;) We can have this thread for reference but please feedback the new thread. Try to find some patience to help and not hinder this process of discovering what is best for the game. which might or might not equal best for you. No toe tapping, well or keep it to a minimum at least ;)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Putzaroo, Chris and Sara Dreygon like this.
  17. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

Not directly about decay, but a question derived from the math.

By the look of the curve, is it safe to assume that we are sort of developing the following categories?

>= 40 is something of the Learning Phase, considered Novice Characters.
    41-80 is the Core Game Phase, much of the game content is intended to be consumed by characters of these levels.
    81-100 is the End Game Phase, at this point characters should be prepared for most end game content along the story paths.
    101+ is the Legendary Phase, characters at this point are pushing the boundaries of the game's intended challenge level. Advancement in these stages is intended to be marginal but comes with bragging rights.

None of these are intended to be hard rules, but something of the planning guidelines behind how content is balanced. Does this seem to be a fair assessment of expectations?

18. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

@Chris, would it be too much to ask to start a new discussion post, possibly weekly? Keep the conversations fresh, and you can lock/archive the older discussions as needed.

Serena Strangelove and Chris like this.
  19. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

What's with asking Chris to close the thread. It's a good one. Keep up!

Why ask a busy guy to make a new spot for us to like and complain on everyday?

Alley Oop likes this.
  20. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Indeed. According to this blog post from Chris:

I would also point out as a Public Service Announcement that these posts were made on August 25, 2015. Granted, it is not easy to find for a new player, and I am not sure why this info hasn't been incorporated into the Instructions, yet. Nevertheless, I am a bit surprised that players who have been around since then are still confused about all of this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.