Random Discussion About Chris' Daily Blog

Discussion in 'Developer Depot' started by Chris, Apr 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Thanks, I will check that out!

Yeah.. the perpetual tradeoff.

I must say I really dislike anything having to do with a proprietary port, although I understand why it would outperform.

Well... compared to what I've got anything would be a vast improvement.

Nikko and Time Lord like this.
  2. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

Alienware or Razer are good laptops.
    The biggest difference is the graphics card you request inside.
    Most of the new Pascals are the fastest. 1050, 1050ti, 1060, 1070, 1080.
    The higher the number the better the graphics, the faster the processing, and the more power used.

I have an Alienware 15 with Nvidia 1070. It performs well as long as there are no issues with Portalarium or the data feed. It runs Unigine Heaven at 83 fps at Ultra/Extreme settings.

If you want to test your computer and/or graphics card download the free benchmark software.
    Run the "BENCHMARK" test and it will tell you how fast your system is.
    There are several settings from basic to extreme tests and various resolutions.

I try to match my SOTA settings to see what frame rate I should be getting.
    Here is the link to the free software.
    https://benchmark.unigine.com/heaven?lang=en

Jaanelle DeJure and Time Lord like this.
  3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Although @Chris XP log in bonus is not a true fix perhaps temporary. It is pretty easy to raise in this game.

If you ever get a chance to check out other games and their login bonuses then perhaps you can get some great ideas for us. Check Black Desert Online they give a mini game that gives you a chest that you spin for the contents and if you log on every day for the month you get a pet that is usable and picks up loot and they give you different buffs. I know some of these things could be for the future for us but xp login is fine for now but overall it won't be the thing that keeps players. Fun things to do will.

Also I like FFXIV which use to have the logging in bed that has a chance of players dreaming with dream sequence that gave clues to a mystery and a chance for something given under your pillow. Wow was that ever fun and your character even pulled covers over themselves.

And we need a fun achievement system and daily quests for fishing etc. to create reason to explore. A points system to earn criminal points for wanted posters, achievements maybe have points to earning cotos as you do them, and treasure hunting. Fun, fun, fun ;)

I love this link for ingame achievements thoughts ;)
    https://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.co...ing-achievements-for-your-games--gamedev-3371

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  4. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Thanks for the link.

I'd have to say starting at $700 for a GPU I'd wonder if it could be used to mine a bit of cryptocurrency when I'm not playing SotA...? I'm not sure I'm a serious enough gamer to justify that kind of spend on a GPU in my own mind. But if I could find other purposes to it.... ;)

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

you don't need $700 and you don't need the latest generation to see an improvement. something high in the 900 series would still make the game much more playable.

Nikko, Time Lord and Jaanelle DeJure like this.
  6. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Oh yeah just thinking if my high-end mobile gaming rig also did double duty as a low-end mobile mining rig I might be enticed to spend more.

Still.. I suppose I might rephrase my question a bit... I'm wondering what kind of FPS a user with the minimum requirements for a GPU could expect by Launch time.

Time Lord and Alley Oop like this.
  7. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

I also have a Lenovo Legion Y520. Costco has them onsale for $999.00
    It has a 1050ti and plays sota well. I have to admit it is not as fast or robust as my alienware but it was 1/3 of the cost.

If you want to compare the specs use a site such as this:
    http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1070/3649vs3609

You can see the effective speed difference.
    i.e. my Alienware has a 1070 the Lenovo has a 1050ti the Alienware is 158% faster but the speed difference playing SOTA is not much different.

You also do not need to have the 1000 series. The 900 series are older and perform well also.

Jaanelle DeJure and Time Lord like this.
  8. Dragonhart

Dragonhart Avatar

Getting a bit derailed here, eh?

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

@Chris
    If you're going to tie negative effects to buffs, can you please have them give back 100% experience when unlearning? Thanks.

Widsith [MGT], Gatsu., Nikko and 2 others like this.
  10. TeddyMIT

TeddyMIT Avatar

@Chris
    If the official can't be completed [Skill / magic balance] in one or two revision,
    Please consider carefully before the official release of a [skills and magic of the full wash] , and 100% of the return of all the experience pool experience.
    This is the quickest way to suppress the player's anger and let the player continue to support your so-called [balance correction].
    Although this is only a short-term effect and the surface of the practice, but now do not do anything just to the players have to spend money to reset skills / magic, allows players to feel more sincere
    If you do not care about [true] number of players on the line to new lows, please ignore my own advice.

11. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Are these experience points automatic for logging on, or will it be a process (like collecting gold from the Oracle)?

You say this is the "return of the daily xp bonus", but we didn't really have this before. Instead, we had a multiplier for earned experience up to a certain amount. Is this going to be similar, where we double (triple, quadruple?) the first 10,000 xp we earn, or is it an automatic dump into our xp pool?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    Time Lord likes this.
  12. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Hmmmm..... QA for everyone. I could see that as a really good thing.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

yes it is perhaps a good thing but in early development it was a funding option they used. So there will be those who will still stand for it to be more exclusive.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Lets just make sure the game happens. More eyes in QA is a benefit to all of us.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Browncoat Jayson

Before persistence, I would have argued against QA for everyone because of the way it was marketed. However, the Dev+ forum access is really all they are pushing now. Move the QA Bug forum out to the regular forum and open it up for everyone; more testing, better game. Its a win-win.

16. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

50% camera zoom out seems like a lot, but I like options, so I'm fer it, until I might be aggin' it.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. TheWanderingPoet

TheWanderingPoet Avatar

I feel like releasing the QA to everyone is against the pledges that we made.
    Would we then lose all the bonuses that we were given?

During the live game they are testing it anyways and the game typically runs fine once it goes live.
    I mean seriously the game is basically in "Open Beta" so we are all testers in a sense.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Browncoat Jayson

In what sense? Access to the QA server was not a pledge reward. The Pledge page only shows this for Dev+:
    Even Kickstarter did not reference the server:
    This is similar to what is in the Bundles now:
    The Dev+ forums will remain a reward. The QA server access has just been limited that way until now.

fonsvitae, Time Lord and Sara Dreygon like this.
  19. Poor game design

Poor game design Avatar

@Chris
    Is this the only thing you're changing, or are you still considering max focus and attunement hits?

Also, what are you going to do about players that take EVERY buff in a deck, cast 5 stack buffs that last for hours, and then switch decks? Shouldn't all the buffs be removed when they switch decks? The problem would be solved and it would add needed challenge to the game.

20. TheWanderingPoet

TheWanderingPoet Avatar

I remember we were given a week or so preview of new changes (QA) before everyone else got to try them such as new skills.

Time Lord and discipleofweb like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.