Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Random Encounters ........ Enough Already

Discussion in 'Release 15 Feedback' started by Satan Himself, Feb 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I wish they'd disable RE until they can make them more meaningful and interesting. It's been several releases now, living with this boring, time-sucking and game-ruining feature.

I understand that RE has the potential to play a role in a polished game. But for now, and in the past few releases, they have barely progressed and continue to frustrate at least some meaningful part of the playing population.

In R15, I'm doing the same thing I did in R14, and R13. I just run to the nearest exit instead of taking time to fight the lame monsters in whatever resource-barren, repetitive, stale, soul-crushing RE I happen to be forced into.

SCREEN LOAD
    STUPID TIME SUCK
    SCREEN LOAD
    REPEAT SEVERAL TIMES BEFORE YOU GET TO YOUR DESTINATION

Sorry but enough already. Please disable the feature, or at least give us an opt-out, until REs are actually entertaining. Right now I'd rate them 1 out of 10, because I can't go lower than one.

KuBaTRiZeS, 0pi8, One Zero and 35 others like this.
  2. Leffy

Leffy Avatar

The only good from RE's now are the resources one can gather. I camped one a few nights ago, as I was bored, and loaded up on wood, hides ore, garlic/ash/shade. The "monsters" right now aren't worth anything, but I kill them just to keep them away-more nuisance than threat. If it weren't for gathering, I'd head straight for the exit too. Last night on Novia, I had 6-7 RE's within about 15-20 minutes of game play...

3. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

They should be limited to max of 1 per hour

4. Alan Waltaffa

Alan Waltaffa Avatar

... or simply a little bit Player-Level adjusted .... :cool:

Greetings
    Alan

5. Shadoweaver

Shadoweaver Avatar

6. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

7. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Personally, I think the rate is pretty good at the moment. If I stay on the paths, it seems like I rarely have an encounter when traveling from Owl's Head to the swamps (maybe 1). As soon as I step off the path however, the rate picks up and I will have 1-3 over the same distance. Maybe the beasts are avoiding me because I've harvested so much garlic. ;)

8. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

last release i had 5 random encounters in a row between south ravenswood and braemer.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  9. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

That's just it though, in Novia the paths are so narrow, your much more in the slow, random encounter mode.

Jivalax Azon and Budner like this.
  10. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

It's thread's like this I start to wonder if some forget that this is a PRE-Alpha. Where the state of the game where things is not necessary are there for player enjoyment bit purely for testing purposes.

If things get to tedious simply wait until beta stare where the game are more suable for player testing, more enjoyable and we start to see how things actually will end up in the release.

Grimace2 likes this.
  11. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

And if things are wrong, Say Something

We wouldn't have jumping, swimming, gorgeous map if we kept silent

12. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Well be constructive and things might happen. But this is a feature that will be in the game and are on the known issue list ad something that will be fleshed out in the future. If you want to make a difference it the best time to do that would be in the process when they actually start flashing out the encounters. To demand to "Please disable the feature, or at least give us an opt-out" when they actually might be testing something in the background, PRE-Alpha testing, we know nothing about will not get you anywhere.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  13. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

It would be interesting to know how many people just run straight for the nearest exit during any random encounter. If the majority of people are doing that then it suggests it simply isn't a fun gameplay element. I know I personally just find them irritating.

amaasing, Budner, Arianna and 8 others like this.
  14. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

Let me begin by saying I hate the random encounters. To begin with it sort of made sense, but it just isn't fun. It is good only for finding resources, but I think that's more of a product that there's no other good way to find resources since they're otherwise so incredibly sparse.

But if I think about UO, I like seeing monsters/animals in the world and I like evading them. Somehow that doesn't translate to SotA; maybe part of that is because of the scene loading times knowing you're just preparing to run for the exit anyway. I guess a popup that says "Random Encounter! Fight?/Evade?" buttons might do the trick, at least for now, so that we don't have to load these extra scenes. I don't know what the solution is here to find a happy go-between.

Budner, Kvow [MGT] and Jivalax Azon like this.
  15. Interitus

Interitus Avatar

I agree. In R14, they were fine. Taking a walk from a town to Ardoris had me fighting 3 groups of wolves, some bears and 2 groups of skeletons. It's a bit overkill. Well I'm a bit overkill.. because i killed them all. You get it.

16. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

I like:
    My complaint with RE as they stand is that they are a time sink and little else. At levels more than 20 above whatever you might encounter in the RE things should not bother you. Gnats don't waylay lions. Rabbits don't attack tigers. Grey wolves should not attack a level 40 character in heavy armor (the argument that wolves don't attack people is a whole other thing.) Skeletons, ok, undead attack any living thing, I get it, but it still annoys me. The fight/evade button could do wonders. Try to run from an encounter that is level appropriate, maybe they pull you in anyway. There is great potential here, but not as it stands in this early state.

17. Etheom

Etheom Avatar

Random encounters need work. They are good for resources, but I don't enjoy them. I wish I had a choice to enter or not.

Karuson, Jivalax Azon, Budner and 4 others like this.
  18. redfish

redfish Avatar

:/ Level shouldn't make that huge of a difference to begin with; skill should. I'm a bit disappointed that some enemies are very weak to begin with, and feel even weaker when you level up. From my perspective, random encounters should be tougher anyway... meaning either beginning characters would have to be skilled, or elude them, or flee.

Even at low level, I found wolves that did virtually no damage to me in light armor, and I just find it puzzling.

Wolves don't know you're level 40; so I would think it would be the same situation as with skeletons. That's just a technicality, though. Personally I don't think level scaling makes a better game. Meeting monsters that you know you're always matched to beat makes the game feel like its on a rail.

19. EmberFlame

EmberFlame Avatar

Personally, I wouldn't mind if they just wrote the code so that it was some equivalent of : Monster ID = [random]

Sure, it may require tweaking later for storyline purposes, but this early in the development, I think it'd just be fun to play around with it.

And who doesn't want to fight 11 Ghosts all at once? :p

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  20. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Every time I'm sucked into a random encounter, my thoughts are "Arggg, great, another loading screen to get in and then a second one when I promptly run out". I agree with Budner, until they're made to be something more than an annoyance let us bypass them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.