Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Random Encounters ........ Enough Already

Discussion in 'Release 15 Feedback' started by Satan Himself, Feb 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

+1 also confusing to new players exploring the overland map for the first time. Bring em back when we can see them on the overland map and avoid or engage them as is the current vision.

2. Wesakijak

Wesakijak Avatar

I like the roving encounters a lot...easy resource gathering and a bit of a break from the overland map travel...but I agree, their frequency does need to be turned down a notch for this release. Couple those with the excruciatingly slow foot travel on most of the Novia overland map, and my head wants to explode! The devs will get it right though and once the roving encounters are visible and avoidable, I think they will help to bring the overland map to life.

Tahru and Budner like this.
  3. Fikule

Fikule Avatar

In R15 you seem to get sucked into the same encounter if you get more than one in the same area.

I killed a bunch of skeletons, left the scene, and half a minute later it loaded a new random encounter. Except it was just the field of dead skeletons I had killed. Props to these skeletons though, very persistent.

Had it with wolves later. And yeah, getting attacked by small wolf spiders when you can kill things so much bigger and don't even take damage from them is not an encounter.

It's similar to being loaded into a scene every time you stub your toe.

And lets not forget that RE's currently put you underneath the map 50% of the time.

But yes, these are also all reasons to not disable them, because they're obviously bugs. But it might be time to focus on them a bit if your playerbase is actively finding the feature unfun and frustrating.

4. TheMadHermit

TheMadHermit Avatar

I third this motion.

5. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

On a side note about RE... When I leave a RE I would like to be facing the same way I entered. It seems every time I leave one I have to say "uhh..."as I spin my guy in a circle.

6. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

7. Amethyst

Amethyst Avatar

I agree. It is only great if you want to see which of your friends are on-line and where they are located. I truly believe the current setup is temporary. After all Richard Garriott and his people are experienced designers and gamers. There is no way they like it as it exists now. We just have to wait for major improvements in the future. But I must admit that I am learning to cuss a lot more while traveling on the overland map.

8. ElricVandor

ElricVandor Avatar

On the other hand, when I got back home on Thursday, I was gathering some ore or, actually, trying the new crafting system, and ran forth and back between Ravenwood and Braemar and Southern Valeway and Owl's Head several times...and didn't have one random encounter once. I actually thought that they were (temporarily) removed or the chance they happen lowered... but I guess I was wrong.
    Was quite weird travelling that much on the world map and not having one single random encounter, especially since, like 2 weeks ago, I posted about feeling like their chance was increased =)
    Guess I was lucky on the RNG on Thursday... or unlucky, as I usually find 1-2 ore nodes in those random scenes, so I don't mind them at all

Tahru and Jivalax Azon like this.
  9. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

Lord Baldrith, Tahru and Jivalax Azon like this.
  10. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Said this before but: I love you idea! However there muse be some encounters you simply cant evade or really get a choice about. As example you can take a band if robbers are hiding side of the road, you don't see them and they attack you.

11. muted

muted Avatar

This is certainly better than the current implementation.. I would like to see a visual representation of the encounters on the map.. the map would be populated by skeletons and other creatures, each mob would be an object with an aggro radius... if you want too close to them they will start chasing you, I think both ideas would work but may not please every player depending on their affinity to older rpg concepts

12. gtesser

gtesser Avatar

"Overworld: Roving encounters (patrolling creatures) will now appear on the overworld map and can be engaged (pulling you into a scene) or avoided if you wish to sneak past."

This didn't make it in for this release but should in the next 1 or 2. If I understand correctly, you will have control of the encounters and won't be pulled in randomly.

Tahru, Jivalax Azon and TheMadHermit like this.
  13. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

I think there should be a way to link players to one icon on the overland map, that is whichever party members shose to do so. This way the team leader could navigate to the various locations and the other players can be more involved in random encounters and such.

14. Sargon

Sargon Avatar

Am I the only one picturing this as Zelda II?

Tahru likes this.
  15. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

Another issue with the random encounters is when you leave the scene, the camera is randomly orientated in a different direction than when you enter - it can be a bit disorientating.

Tahru likes this.
  16. Caladhan

Caladhan Avatar

I like this game. But the awful long loading times are horrible. :(
    Yesterday I led a party through the Grand Tour Quest. Every few steps a player vanished into an encounter and everyone else waited. It was very tedious work.

+1

I would like to see random encounters deactivated, until the loading times improve significantly.

17. no_excuses_its_released

no_excuses_its_released Avatar

I have a lot of experience paying my bills, but I still suck at it.

0pi8, Tahru and Katrin Bekers [PeV] like this.
  18. Andrew Rodrick

Andrew Rodrick Avatar

I still think Myrcello's proposal has merit and would significantly improve the random encounters so a system similar to this certainly gets my vote, it also adds another opportunity for the devs to introduce more lore and side stories to the game in a coherent, scalable way.

Lord Baldrith, Tahru and Jivalax Azon like this.
  19. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Honestly the REs are preventing people from testing other parts of the game. We already know REs suck. Improve them in the background and bring them back in a better form later. Meanwhile let us explore the world and the game mechanics less encumbered by this annoyance.

0pi8, Lord Baldrith, Tahru and 4 others like this.
  20. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

as much as I don't like the random encounters we can't always be using the excuse of it being in the way of testing, these things need testing too in order to insure that they are working as envisioned, I just hope this isn't how they were envisioned lol. I will say that they are far less of a nuisance this go around than last. They are missing something though, and I think what they are missing is purpose and continuity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.