Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Random Encounters ........ Enough Already

Discussion in 'Release 15 Feedback' started by Satan Himself, Feb 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastese

Mastese Avatar

I like them. You shouldn't be exempt from running into encounters just by using the overland map to travel through varying locations. I don't know if the current implementation rolls against a table of creatures that occupy that zone or not, but they should. If you'd normally run into wolves, bears, spiders, Kobolds and Skeletons zoning into XXXX forest, then any random encountered triggered via overland map through that area should pull from those regional entities.

majoria70 likes this.
  2. TantX

TantX Avatar

I'm pretty sure that's how it currently works. The hex figures out the terrain type for that area and the mobs that exist within it.

Problem is, there are often a lot of "junk" areas of wolves and spiders and skeletons - not even large timber wolves, large red spiders and liche fighters - which are just a waste of time for most people.

3. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Really getting bored of the encounters now. Just had 3 within 30 seconds.......i'm at the stage now where I don't even bother fighting anything, I just walk straight out (something tells me I am not alone with this).

Personally I would say that these encounters where you get 'sucked in' are more akin to a single player game rather than multi. It would be great if they were restricted to that mode.

Ice Queen, Budner and majoria70 like this.
  4. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Shock!

Within 10 seconds of me typing this.......another one :(

Ice Queen and majoria70 like this.
  5. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I think everything I enjoy about this game is slowing becoming insignificant.

Walking across Novia at a snails pace, being sucked into a scene (whether meaningful or not) every 30 seconds or so simply is not my idea of fun. This is probably the first time in years I have been so frustrated with a game that I have come close to rage quitting.

If there is any feedback thread that needs to be noticed.......this is the one.

6. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

It's to the point now, I think they should change the remark Prepare to defend yourself To
    Prepare to be bored and ticked off while you wait, for yet 2 more, loading screens, lol :)

Budner and smack like this.
  7. smack

smack Avatar

I went ahead and created another Top 10 Annoyances thread, just as I did for R12. Enjoy!

majoria70 and Ice Queen like this.
  8. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

As some previous posters have said - random encounters will be good if we can see them on the map (a la ye olde Ultima). We now can see other avatars - so I'm hoping we'll see the bad guys roaming the map as well. That will add a bit of excitement to the overland map as we try to either engage or evade the monsters roaming the countryside.

smack likes this.
  9. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Which fine as long as you can choose to avoid them. Any system that randomly sucks you in is fine for the first few times, after that it wears thin. As soon as a player becomes irritated by having the interruption, it no longer matters what the encounter actually is.....all what matters is how can you get back to whatever you were doing before.

Godra71 and Ice Queen like this.
  10. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Just pretend its a pvp'r ambushing some one going to get their hat envy. Kind of the same thing. :p

11. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Hmmmm not really the same is it...... I might spend 10min in a PvP scene killing random players of different skill and strength. This is about getting pulled into scenes with all the loading screens, around every 20-30 seconds throughout the entire map. A player doesn't have to go yo a PvP zone......unless they allow zoning to towns, a player has to walk across the map to travel.

Budner likes this.
  12. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

well they did for the hat quests :p I was teasing you anyway lol. It is however the same tactic as an ambush, its just pve. At least you get gold or hides from these ambushes. *chuckles*

13. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I wouldn't know what you get from them, I see the loading screen.....mutter a few choice words and walk out the scene again. :)

14. Shibokain

Shibokain Avatar

Not someone that is easily annoyed but today i had 5 in less than 3 minutes ...
    Personal i hope they get revamped or scrapped they could be wasps but now they are more like mosquito's ,bzzzzzzz .

I do not even bother any more just run to entry or exit .
    But so many after each other makes it really feel annoying and that is not good for our game imho.

Budner, Ice Queen and Dewderonomy like this.
  15. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

16. Mimner

Mimner Avatar

I like that random encounters give a feel of size to the world. They add to the time it takes to get around in the world, making far away places feel distant. I want a big world, and I want to feel that travelling across it is a big undertaking. If there is another mechanic that gives this feeling and people prefer to random encounters, well that would be great too. I just hope the world continues to feel big.

Miracle Dragon and Abydos like this.
  17. Godra

Godra Avatar

I hate them. Period. I want to get from point A to point B. have no mount, slow to a snail pace over Mts. or off road. Scenes take forever to load. Last thing I want is to spend more time wasting my night away for absolute frustration. Just my opinion.

Budner and Ice Queen like this.
  18. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

R.E. are a real joke for now ... and waste of time. For me, R.E. sould be fight for ur life (be the Killer or Die)

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  19. Musaab Osman

Musaab Osman Avatar

These are not gonna be like this forever. They will become actual events such as you stumbling upon a caravan being attacked by undead and what not. The last Hangout of the Avatar, I believe, they said that it's not going to be just you being dropped in with a bunch of bears or wolves over and over.

For now, however, find the nearest exit.

20. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I agree that random encounters aren't 'finished' yet. here's some constructive feedback regarding the encounters:

For me, my placement in a scene when switching from map to encounter is very important.

Right now, I feel lost and confused when entering the scene. Where did these enemies come from? why didn't i see them before this moment?

Example 1: some skeleton scenes, there is a gate to the north, and a gate to the south, (one of which i presumably stepped through on my journey to this point), both of which are currently guarded by skeletons or spiders etc. that don't seem to be aware of my presence?? How did that happen? It just doesn't make sense.

Either drop me at the south gate, with nothing guarding it, or south of the south gate, allowing me to approach and decide for myself how I'm going to alert the enemy (or turn and run away). Or if you drop me in the center, then turning around should reveal a path that appears to be clear of danger (the path i took to get to this spot). If there are enemies there, they better be flanked and in the shadows, approaching from a distance, not spawned in the middle of the path I should have taken to get to this point.

Example 2: Random encounter in the forest. I'm in a dead end path surrounded by trees, enemies and only one exit. The explorer in me feels immediately slighted that I was forced into this situation without making the decision for myself to go this way.

Instead, I'd rather be dropped into a forest path that branches off in two directions. one, a darker path, might appear to be clear, but mysterious, the other, has a few enemies up ahead, hence why I've been brought into this encounter.
    I have 3 choices.
    1. Turn around and exit the encounter (taking me back a hex from the direction i was headed on the map)
    2. Take the path that has enemies, kill them and see if it leads out.
    3. Take the mysterious dark path, it may lead out safely, bypassing enemies, or it may lead to a dead-end trap like the original encounter, that i must fight my way out of then take the other path (but at least i know i made the decision to enter the unknown trap), or it may lead to a vantage point over the enemies on the open path, where i can pick them off easily (without them regenerating health just because they can't hit me back).

These are the sort of things I feel should be implemented when creating random encounters. And I really feel that failing an encounter should bring you on the map where you started, (back a hex) and succeeding in the encounter should bring you out ahead one hex from where you entered, so the player receives a feeling of accomplishment, and experiences more of a relationship between the encounter and the map we're navigating.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.