Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Random lunging forward interferes with weapon (free/glyph) attack

Discussion in 'Release 32 Feedback Forum' started by Balec Fares deCani, Jul 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trokip

Trokip Avatar

Great Video Frost. All we need is one more step and then let the computer take over entirely. If I wanted to jump in the combat I'd do so. This is now what? the third or fourth release where Combat stinks. Never has been fixed right. Yeah one can get along in the existing system but we the players want to do the fighting not have the computer pick our targets and jump in to combat for us.

2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Yup, I obviously agree .... ;)

To the Dev Team: STOP MOVING US, WE LIKE TO DO THAT ON OUR OWN, tyvm... :cool:

3. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

i can see how they might want to fix all these weird cases and then make it a separate option available aside autoattack, but autoattack is not autoposition.

4. narcosis

narcosis Avatar

Thank you for highlighting this point as the majority of the focus seems to be about lunging through mobs and needing to reposition. Using a long weapon to get range on a opponent is not possible because as spoon mentions, your avatar tries to use it like a dagger.

5. Kittik

Kittik Avatar

This is annoying as ****! Sorry for the language but I'm so frustrated with this automatic movement I can't stand it!!

6. Dariog

Dariog Avatar

It's time to put an end to the "New Melee Experience". I am no longer able to play the game.

Leostorm, narcosis and FrostII like this.
  7. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@DarkStarr @Chris

We would appreciate it very much, if one of you would tell us if what we are experiencing now in melee combat ( regarding how the game is moving us involuntarily ) - is intended and here to stay - or if it's unintended and that you are working to correct it.

Then at least we could decide what WE want to do, given it's current state.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  8. Rebelweasel

Rebelweasel Avatar

I was joking with my guild last night about the Nasty Melee Experience. I said I wanted to control my own character, not have the game control my character's body for me. Then I said how I felt like I was being possessed, or my character had been roofied and was moved around like a puppet on the strings with no control for myself at all. Then I laughed more and said, this is character-****! This is objectification of my character's body! They are using my character's body, against my will, as if I was just an object to be moved around for their own purposes! Let's pull in the social justice warriors and feminazi's on this and protest! THEN something will get done!

On a more serious tone, combat has been clunky and slow to respond with ridiculously tight cone of attack range since the beginning. The animations themselves cause this problem, each animation turns our characters' bodies or the target's bodies off center from each other, and the narrow cone of attack then causes us to miss. It's that constant step in the animation, forward and to the side, forward and to the side, that keeps putting our characters out of target range and shoving us around. The fix for this is NOT to pin our feet to the floor an make the over-exaggerated animations even worse. Now, instead of step forward and to the side, the animations are doing a *leap* forward and to the side. The fix is to go back and re-do those animations with a lot less exaggeration and movement of our character in the first place. The animations have been over the top from the very beginning, they need to be toned down. The animations are why I refuse to use the free strike system, even though I adore it in ESO, because the constant delay between button press and action on my character due to overly long and fussy animations make it feel like I'm trying to drive a car with loose steering and unresponsive acceleration because the parking brake is stuck on! If the game continues this trend of taking away control of character movement in combat more and more, you might as well just make it a click and point tell-tale game novel, since there is obviously no interest in making combat anything remotely based on true twitch combat responses.

9. Dariog

Dariog Avatar

Excellent name for it. (( Dariog Rendell salutes Rebelweasel ))

Leostorm and FrostII like this.
  10. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

My main issue with this new melee experience is that it's a PITA when trying to maneuver behind a target for the damage bonus when I keep randomly leaping through the target.

So, instead of me getting the bonus, I end up directly in front of the target, with MY back towards it... so now I'm taking extra damage instead of dealing extra damage!

11. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

Yea i dont know why they added this, its pretty horrible. Even when functioning correctly i cant back away from mobs while auto attacking, and yea i spend more time correcting my position than I do trying to use my glyphs and let alone use free attack, cuz it still does it there too.

I can list that 2hd sword is effected alot, 90% of the time im inside the mob the other 10% im sent past it and no longer even hitting the mob cuz im faced the wrong way. trust/rend/whirling blade/pretty much all sword skills are effected. But instead I would just say to get rid of this "forced" movement. Its wonky and feels horrible. Fighting multi mobs is just a mess...i wont even get into it, not sure who thought this was a good idea. I suppose it was done due to some targeting issues/complaints. But yea, no bueno.

12. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

So, this happens with Thrust, and I thought it only happened when I wasn't directly facing my target. But , then I phased right through my target. So yeah. The constant repositioning against a stationary enemy is acceptable, since I know in real fights momentum happens. But this is a bit much.

13. Deiniak

Deiniak Avatar

THe avatar is moving by himself, tageting by himself, next step... playing by himself

We are losing controle of our avatar and it isn't good

Rebelweasel and Dariog like this.
  14. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

/larrybird
    hook shot the forced movement into the trashcan!

i understand there is a much older audience in the community, but this hand holding is getting ridiculous.
    or if this was done because of targeting code issues, then a major step back is needed.

Dariog likes this.
  15. Alley Oop

i think the first step of it was this, which didn't get pushback at the time from anyone other than me, that i can recall.

Dariog likes this.
  16. One Zero

One Zero Avatar

I just read through this whole thread. Not one single player mentions enjoying or supporting this new melee design.

Was this even tested for feedback on the QA before being tossed in for R32?

Much like the earlier tab targeting system here is another combat mechanic that was working just fine. Please stop breaking things which don't need fixed.

17. Alley Oop

Black Tortoise and Dariog like this.
  18. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

@Chris, @Attenwood, @DarkStarr - once again something was implemented with what appears top be little thought (or testing). Also not something asked for by players (anywhere) or to actually fix anything.

I went out last night for the first time with my Melee guy. Looking back in the skill trees there are 3 actual skills that engage targets - Engage Opponent, Body Slam, and Shield Bash, all of those engage opponents by moving the player to the opponent. I have not been able to train any of these nor do I want to, I don't need them. So I started last night with 0 Bludgeons and while fighting I worked hard to get into range and MANAGE who I am fighting, specifically knowing who is behind me, since ranged attackers do 2x more damage. This resulted in complete failure, since the game knows better than me and moves me. The same happened with the targeting system, when the reticle was implemented.

You once again implemented a mechanic that plays the game for us (previously it was the targeting system, where the game knew better, you saw how that worked) and is sucks. It moves me in way I do not want. I was already engaged and fighting, I did not need to move and actually moving me puts me in more danger by moving me so that I ended up with enemies behind me, I had worked to specifically NOT have this happen. Now I have to adjust Zoom again, since you moved me past targets, and the camera skews, also now I am on top of or behind the actual target I was fighting, so I have to move around to fix all I worked, as a player, to fight and defend myself.

So again you have implemented a defunct mechanic that was not asked for, fixed nothing and has actually broken melee fighting for more than a few people.

This is not something new and you seem to be making the same mistakes over and over, this really does not bode well for a budding development process.

Sorry but as a military leader I would have put my unit on a stand down and try and figure out why systems that I am working on, are resulting in total and utter failure, or not accomplishing anything viable.

I have yet to see any replies where a player has liked this mechanic?

Please remove this completely and take a step back and look at it again;

1st - WHY - Nothing was Broken, and the reasoning - "to add it to make fighting realistic" does not float as it negates the three skills that actually can be used IF wanted.

2nd - the results - it has done nothing but break how players fight since it moves players in ways that negate what a player actually does to fight, range, direction, etc

3rd - player feedback - stuff like this, that is implements a MAJOR change to how the game plays should hit QA first and players told to go take a look and see; how it works, if it is viable, and is it fixing anything, . . . . . . ( it does not appear that the team takes the time to play with these before they hit so use us and QA to its fullest capacity)

19. Dariog

Dariog Avatar

...and also everything else you said, +1000

Scraps MacMutt, Weins201 and FrostII like this.
  20. Lockey2

Lockey2 Avatar

Wow, I must question the reason for this change. Why continue to break what was already working guys? No one likes or appreciates it. When you do things like this I can see Homer Simpson smacking his face and going "DOH" after he has done something truly idiotic. I have yet to see a SINGLE person say "Oh this is wonderful". Surprised we have not had someone from the Kangaroo Court chiming how great this change is. As my father would have said to us when we did something as a child we shouldn't have: " I am so disappointed in you.".

Also Thank you Frost for the videos showing this disgraceful change. Guys, Please rethink this.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
    Weins201, FrostII and Dariog like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.