Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Random lunging forward interferes with weapon (free/glyph) attack

Discussion in 'Release 32 Feedback Forum' started by Balec Fares deCani, Jul 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

rend and buzz saw stack fyi, along with some fire DoT, things dies real fast and i dont have to spam abilities and waste focus. I mean you know rend has the potential to do more dmg than trust and almost the same dmg as double slash at half the focus cost? when you combo it, it uses less focus. Just saying, i wouldnt say its a waste, unless you are fighting mobs that you kill in 2-4 hits or undead. its situational, but its been a huge benefit to me overall.

2. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

We will just have to disagree. I think we've stolen this thread long enough..

Dariog likes this.
  3. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Not that I've seen. If anyone has please link.

Dariog likes this.
  4. Dariog

Dariog Avatar

There have been no other developer comments that I know of. It appears they intend to keep the "New Melee Experience" in place with only minor modifications, if even that. Why they would want to do that kind of damage to this game is beyond me. I still hope I'm wrong and that they will get rid of it, but I've expressed my opinion and there's nothing more I can do.

Acred and Scraps MacMutt like this.
  5. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I have escalated this issue personally for review by the team. We are aware of the concern.

Rebelweasel, Acred, Tyde and 6 others like this.
  6. Dariog

Dariog Avatar

7. Scraps MacMutt

Scraps MacMutt Avatar

I had big problems tonight in my group while we were fighting in dungeons on elevated areas like platforms and bridges. The lunge and other random movements with my melee attacks had me plummeting to my death a number of times. I found this incredibly frustrating and not fun in any way. Positioning is key in any battle and I feel I have lost almost all control over this aspect of combat now with the new melee system. :(

zyxe, Dantuin, Rebelweasel and 4 others like this.
  8. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

After bringing this issue up to the team, the forward lunge movement in melee will be removed for R33.

Thank you for the feedback and continued communication.

Attenwood

zyxe, Katu, One Zero and 11 others like this.
  9. Rebelweasel

Rebelweasel Avatar

Ghu bless them all!

Dariog likes this.
  10. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

That is great news. Thanks!

Dariog likes this.
  11. agra

agra Avatar

Praise $deity and pass the pretzels! Thanks, Attenwood :)

enderandrew and Dariog like this.
  12. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

All combat animations (except for a pull or rush that is meant to bring a MOB to us or close distance to a MOB) that result in a net distance (character movement) need to be removed, not just the lunge forward. Please ensure that is understood - it is not just the lunge that is a problem. Side-stepping as the result of a riposte or the like is not desired.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  13. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

...and there was much rejoicing as the awkward dance throughout the land came to a close and avatars regained control of their steps!! Thanks!

Korim Rackham, Dariog and Koldar like this.
  14. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Thanks! But I can't help but wonder, will we see an improved version along with a host of other changes, that will make the 'new combat experience' something interesting, useful and fun? Very curious, the lunge wasn't added hastily, was it? :)

How was the lunge going to be useful, if it were implemented before anything else? I hope you are all onto something, and look forward to the future. Just gotta be careful introducing a feature like this lunge, without mention of how it works, or perhaps, how it is 'supposed' to work! :)

15. Rebelweasel

Rebelweasel Avatar

Thank you so much Bluefire for posting this, you put your finger on the pulse of the problem. It is NOT just lunges, all the animations which move our characters against our wishes are distasteful.

Bluefire and Scraps MacMutt like this.
  16. Scraps MacMutt

Scraps MacMutt Avatar

@Attenwood That's a great first step, but what about the other random movements such as circling your target or turning your back to your target? I can just as easily randomly circle my target and fall off a cliff (or walk into lava) as lunge off a cliff during melee combat. It's not just the lunge, it's all the extra random movement that was added to melee combat. We have movement keys to position our characters during combat so why not let the player maintain control of this vital aspect of melee combat? It worked great in all the previous releases so I'm very perplexed why it was changed. :confused:

Bluefire, Dariog and Alley Oop like this.
  17. Tydes

Tydes Avatar

Thankyou for escalating it.

/cheer

18. matpsch

matpsch Developer Emeritus

The initial idea was that animating the whole body moving forward while running forward and attacking would allow the player to move around and still look fully animated while attacking as they run forward, as opposed to only the upper half of their body animating while their legs continue to look like they are in a standard running loop. (Sometimes having a big swing occur in the upper body looks really funny and detached from the lower half of the body if the legs are just jogging.) But yeah, turns out that forced translation during these moving combat animations did not work out very well so it will be removed to bring us back to a system in which the character only moves where the player directs it. We have a couple ideas to give the full control back to the players to run and fight while keeping the body animating and looking correct during these attacks when they are running in all directions.

NRaas, Scraps MacMutt, Albus and 5 others like this.
  19. zyxe

zyxe Avatar

Thank you for your detailed feedback and honesty. I look forward to testing out the changes when they go live! Combat has a lot of potential in this game and I'm excited to see where it goes.

Dariog and Fister Magee like this.
  20. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Any chance that when you have a new attempt on it to test, you can put it on qa first?

Albus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.