Random questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DalTXColtsFan, Oct 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

DA isn't affected by DEX if I remember correctly. That's Dodge and it's not visible in the character sheet.

2. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Hope it's okay to use your thread for my own random question.

Does anyone know exactly what it means to be -20% rooted?

3. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

You can fly!

Crusader of Sacrifice and Lazlo like this.
  4. DalTXColtsFan

DalTXColtsFan Avatar

As has been stated, I am a polearm/heavy armor user, but my water attunement is 109 with plans for it to go even higher than that, including Fire Warding at level 60 intending to go to 100, and I use summon water elemental, ice shield, douse, soothing rain and ice arrow a LOT.

Here's my question: Am I completely wasting my time and XP training up Immolation and Ignite Weapon?

5. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

If you are training Fire warding up, yes.

Please note, you only need 10 skills in the water tree for attunement, so if you already have 10 (which you should) you can ignore warding and completely unlearn it, giving immolation and ignite weapon a chance to actually do damage.

6. DalTXColtsFan

DalTXColtsFan Avatar

Wait - if I have learned 10 skills in the water tree, regardless of their level, Fire Warding is actually useless because I've already built up mondo fire resistance?

7. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

No.

10 Skills if for your attunement (Water spells power and water resistance), Fire Warding is for fire resistance, but Fire warding also removes Fire attunement, which in turn removes fire spells power.

If your goal is to get very high fire resistance, you are free to take fire warding, but don't use fire spells, they'll be as useful as if you werent even using them.

I just thought you were training Fire warding for water attunement, because some people either don't know or forget that only your 10 highest skills in a tree count for attunement, I assumed wrong, I am sorry for the confusion I caused you lol!

8. necronut

necronut Avatar

High water attunement strengthens Fire warding.

High fire attunement strengthens the innate Fire resist.

Put them together for maximum resistance.

9. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

necronut likes this.
  10. necronut

necronut Avatar

11. DalTXColtsFan

DalTXColtsFan Avatar

I read this post, and this is what I think I got from it:

In my case, I want to be as fire-resistant as possible because I'm constantly facing Ebon Cultist High Wizards, Elf Mages, Skeleton Archmages, Dragons, Phoenixes and other MOBs that throw fire at me (lich mages, baltskillers, drakskillers et al). I also use spells in the Water tree a LOT.

Fire Warding in the Water tree seems like the best fire resistance in the game - sure, I could socket some Sorcery Ward gems and jewels into my gear, but a) that wouldn't give me near the fire resistance that training Fire Warding up to level 100 or 120 would give me and b) I would be forfeiting an opportunity to socket Tempestry gems and jewels into my gear which would make the spells I commonly use (including Douse) that much stronger.

So for me, it seems like training up Fire Warding and forgetting about Immolation and Ignite Weapon is a no-brainer.

Am I missing anything?

12. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

If you want as much fire resistance as possible, the easiest and most efficient way would be to get 10 fire skills/passives to 80, and then your fire warding to 80, that would give you 80 net resistance, probably more with the fire resistance skill, so 100 or more, which is very good. At that point though, not using fire skills is smart, because they wont be any good

13. DalTXColtsFan

DalTXColtsFan Avatar

Why get 10 fire skills/passives to 80? Why not just get Fire Warding to 80 by itself and let myself have a -80 Fire Attunement and +80 Fire Resistance (plus whatever I get from Douse) if I never intend to cast fire spells?

14. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Because your NET fire resistance is equal to your total fire resistance + your fire attunement divided by 2. That means that if you get Fire warding to 80, but leave all your fire skills at 0, you only get 40 Net fire attunement (80-(80/2))

If you get all your fire skills to 80, no only will you get an extra 20 fire resistance from the innate skill fire resistance, but you will also get an extra 40 net resistance, because the formula will the be 80-(0/2) because your attunement is 80 from the skills, - 80 from the warding innate. This is the best bang for your buck, costing you less than 10m experience for 100 points of fire resistance vs 24m experience to get Warding to 100 and only getting 50 net resistance.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    Anpu and DalTXColtsFan like this.
  15. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Get your reach skill up. You can hit any dragon or phoenix if you stand right under them. When they fly, don't chase. They will only go so far and then stop and turn to face you, then walk under them or up to them if they land.

Anpu likes this.
  16. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Reach will only help with the distance away from where the dragon is centered around, but even in a Pugilism build I can punch flying dragons, my trick is to use engage opponent so I stick under them, guaranteed to land my punches this way.

Aldo and Anpu like this.
  17. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I assume you mean get Fire Warding to 80, not 0?

But even then (Fire Warding at 80, Fire skills at 0) wouldn't that give 80 Fire Resistance and -80 Fire Attunement?

18. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Yes! Corrected, TY

It would, but the "net" resistance (so the actual number reducing fire spell damage) would be 40.

Basically 40 is the number that you get at the end of the calculation.

19. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Ah, I see. I think. Your (80-(80/2)) is actually (80+(-80/2)). That's what threw me, couldn't figure out how you got 80 attunement to divide in half without fire skills, and wasn't correctly processing that you were subtracting instead of adding.

Violet Ronso likes this.
  20. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Good to know. Might have wasted some Exp on reach...

Anpu and Violet Ronso like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.