Ranged advice

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by bakau, Feb 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

Ice field in the water tree may help you a bit, Kara. It's a aoe from the water tree and slows incoming mobs a lot. You should be able to easily outrun them using this. Just make sure to keep moving to opposite ends of the aoe area so that mobs stay in it. If you want to play as a non magical archer then maybe you could try out calltrops, while not nearly as good as ice field it does the same thing.

Kara Brae likes this.
  2. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

Not as squishy as you may think it is. We have the cover mechanic, cover is great, cover is life! Cover is better then any other defensive skills light armor users have, which is kinda sad really. I agree though that when no cover is around we are pretty bad off.
    *Uses shield of air and runs off to find some cover*

Hard to say, the answer will probably be somewhere in the middle. My guess is that in the end the dps will be around the same amount for either builds. Either you hit harder with normal attacks and do less crits or do more crits for less damage. I'm going for a lot of crits with high crit damage bonus and light armor. Won't stop me from trying to get as much str as possible though!

Just had a random thought. How much would light armor users benefit of using torpor? Would the strength buff be worth it? Not for solo play obviously, but perhaps when playing in a group?

3. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

As Athanil said, use Ice Field to slow them. (Ice field can stack on itself multiple times)
    Also Disabling Shot is great.

I used to be a light armor ranged and these worked well for me in Deep Ravenswood Bear den. I used Shield of Crystal, then would lay down an Ice Field. Then shoot a single Disabling Shot at a bear and several would come running. Once they reach the ice field they slow down and I can then shoot another Disabling Shot or two to further slow them.

Kiting around them as they try to keep up with you usually does them in since you can auto attack them to death.

I am currently using heavy armor polearm. (it also works with ranged also but slower). The heavy plate armor I'm wearing allows me to not worry if I stay away from the bears when using ranged.

I swapped to polearms because of the recent changes in stun. Before the change I could easily kill Reapers as ranged. After the change, the Reaper would root me and nothing I could do to keep him from killing me. Now as Heavy Armor Polearm, I run up to him and say:
    'Hey buddy, PLEASE root me'
    When he does, it is his doom not mine since I can stand toe to toe with him and win. I guess Obsidian Plate Armor is tree proof. :)

Sentinel2 and Kara Brae like this.
  4. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

I've been using Copper and Bronze Chainmail with polearm. I'm level 125 polearm and nearly everything under that is 100+. I go toe to toe with Reapers. They require a bit of work but rooting isn't an issue. My water elemental and a little prep with Strength of Earth, Inner Strength and a healing over time spell usually does the trick. Still, they are fun to solo. Occasionally I'll use Immolation and Ring of Fire on them. Seems to help.

Haven't tried Obsidian Armor yet. Maybe someday. Been using Meteoric Iron and Maple for my polearm. The extra weapon damage is nice!

Jaesun and Lesni like this.
  5. xadoor

xadoor Avatar

Arch specialty has to be the worst of all specialties. I want the extra rapid fire arrow and the 6th cards to I feel obligated to use it thou.

the 2nd choice seems like it should be:
    1) life - can heal your self insanely fast as you kite and allows you to be the healer if none are available
    2) AIR - the dex buff alone might make this a winner, its insane what the air mage in my group can lay on me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.