Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Ranged Combat

Discussion in 'Release 18 Feedback' started by Barugon, Jun 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Multi Shot and Rapid Fire: When will they be implemented?

Lord Gorynych and Chatele like this.
  2. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I truly hope they make the arrows weigh ZERO or close too it.... cause will be a problem with all the diff arrows you need to carry.... I really hope we also get a quiver to carry them all in, and make them craftable to hold more, with the npc merchants selling them that hold way less then the crafted ones, and make them take no dmg.... maybe?????

Sinclair likes this.
  3. Sinclair

Sinclair Avatar

Yeah arrow weight is a real pain, also the costs for the arrows. I would not say they shall have zero weight, but weight should be dramatically reduced. Since R17 i am playing ranged and it is really, really hard to play. Much appreciated to optimize ranged combat including the final and missing skills. WE need MORE power :) Ranged combat is still to weak for a solo player.

Chatele and Lord Gorynych like this.
  4. Lord Gorynych

Lord Gorynych Avatar

I gave up Ranged since R16 because I had to dump all the gold to buy arrows. Arrows weight was also a problem.

I like Ranged builds in other games but now in SOTA it's just waste of time. Being melee or mage is much more cost effective and deals more DPS than ranged.

To make Ranged playable we need the following

1. Less weight of arrows.
    2. Cheaper price of arrows, or let us craft it in appropriate quantities.
    3. Skill to recover shot arrows from bodies. At least with 50% chance.

Sinclair likes this.
  5. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

We also need quivers to carry all those diff types of arrows in

Sinclair likes this.
  6. Sinclair

Sinclair Avatar

Absolutly!

7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The cost of arrows:

So, arrows cost two gp each. That's pretty expensive and I feel that they should be one gp each. However, you can craft arrows.

100 arrows takes Board (1), Arrowheads (1), and Bundle of Feathers (10). You harvest the wood (either maple or pine) for the boards, Wood (4) + Chemicals (1) = Timber (3). The chemicals cost one gp. Timber (1) + Chemicals (1) = Board (2). Again the cost in gp is one. Total cost for Board (6) is four gp and the time to harvest the wood (4).

Arrowheads (1) requires Iron or Copper Ingot (1). In order to craft Ingot (1), you must harvest Iron or Copper Ore (4) and buy Chunk of Coal (1) for 6 gp.

Bundle of Feathers (10) costs 40gp.

Total cost to craft 600 arrows is 4 + 6 x 6 + 40 * 6 = 280 gp + harvest and crafting time.

Total cost to buy 600 arrows is 1200 gp.

In a future release, coal will be harvestable and I expect that feathers will drop from some creature. There is also tool wear that I didn't include in the cost.

[edit] Chemicals are two gp each.

Sinclair likes this.
  8. Lord Gorynych

Lord Gorynych Avatar

On early levels to kill just a single creature you need 20-40 arrows, so 600 arrows are just for 20 monsters.
    After that you have to spend 1200gp or half a hour grinding/crafting just to kill another 20 monsters.
    If you hunt undead, kobolds or elfs they drop loot that can be sold, but it costs less than the price of fired arrows.

Another bad thing is that you cannot recover at least part of shot arrows from corpses.
    At least we should be able to recover all the arrow heads and feathers. Wooden parts can be broken so they can have 50% chance to recover

9. Sinclair

Sinclair Avatar

There is an innate skill: Ammo Scavenger. But its at the end of the ranged skill tree and you need to invest some points to get there. Yes, especially at the beginning of the ranged "career" there is a need of a fair optimization compared to other "classes" like melee or magic. There is a disadvantage.

10. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

In other games that I played, they made different arrows that do more dmg, or had a greater chance for crits etc, but ALL the arrows used the same spells or skills .... this helped big time.... there was no need to carry diff arrows in order to perform a combat skill.... just the diff quality arrow did either more damage or more crit, or a better chance to pierce heavy armor .... I liked it alot, and you had quivers to put them in, hence, it freed up bag space.... oh yea I am all for that :p

11. redfish

redfish Avatar

I think you should be able to scavenge some arrows even without skill, and Ammo Scavenger should just boost your skills.

Also, they should make sure that enemy archers carry arrows in their loot. The elves in Greymark Forest already do, so its easy for you to restock if you're fighting there; but archers in other areas of the game don't. I'd prefer that enemies also have a limited supply too, and they use up the arrows they have on their person, but these could be found with scavenging as well.

I posted this in a thread a while back; I thought some here who haven't seen it might be interested too, since its relevant to the topic.

Dewderonomy likes this.
  12. Lord Gorynych

Lord Gorynych Avatar

Didn't try it in R18, but in previous releases that skill only added more arrows while looting archers bodies. There were no arrows at all in non-archer corpses.

13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Ammo Scavenger (even in r18) is a waste of points.

I also don't like different arrow types for each skill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.