Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Ranged path tracking and collisions..

Discussion in 'Release 36 Feedback Forum' started by Toadster, Dec 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

So I don't remember seeing anything from the DEV team on this but I am curious if they ever intend to add physics and collisions to the ranged spells and attacks. Currently, if you are fighting a troll, once the anamation for throwing a rock starts you will be hit by the rock no matter what you do. You can hide behind a tree or around a corner, and that rock will find you. Reminds me of a TOm and Jerry Cartoon. That rock must be Kobold engineered with some heat seeking properties. It would be nice to see them make adjustments to the ranged attacks that allow people to get out of the way, as this would now make travel time in the air a viable property for some effects.

2. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

Any attack that starts while in range will connect no matter what you do. It is not just trolls and ranged. Might be a server lag problem that cannot be avoided. I see this behavior in single player games as well (Dragon Age: Origins for example). So maybe it is inherent in the combat calcs. I could see an active block or cover tactic countering in the future, but distance may never work due to animation time plus server lag.

3. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Yeah, it is all combat but it is more noticble for the ranged attacks as the projectile will fly through object and almost turn corners to hit you.

I am curious if this is intended to be updated or if it is just going to be how it is. I am not sure how complicated it would be to break and animation out into two parts for combat where the an animation of throwing or shooting actually creates an object with an initial velocity and vector direction and collision mesh.

4. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

I think it would add a lot to the game if you could time a side roll(if they ever get fixed) in order to avoid damage from projectiles.

5. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Cover (a huge deal with many mechanics) will be added later.

6. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Yes but isn't cover just going to be a dmg modifier based on the cover? I want actual collisions based on projectile flight path.

7. kl4nk

kl4nk Avatar

If you blink away while the rock is still in the troll hands you wont get hit.. it takes alot of practice to get the timing right. But trust me its so satisfying to pull of.

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  8. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

I'll have to try that one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.