Rats Nest

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Poor game design, Jun 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unicornslady

unicornslady Avatar

*Gives a hug to Myrcello* No I didn't.

I just gave the baron the benefit of the doubt that he had looked at rowhouses in-game and he knows they only have windows & doors in the front.
    Think of the rowhouse this way, they are a lot more defensible with only one entrance. With mostly dull plain walls for the view, it helps with disorientation and a maze/warren-like feeling which will also make the town more defensible.

2. Albus

Albus Avatar

Sounds interesting and unique! I do hope the guard towers and such work out also, I think an element of law (which makes the lawless element more meaningful) or consequence in pvp is what makes pvp most "meaningful" in environments where I've found meaning in pvp.

3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I'd love to think that somehow I influenced the guys over at the Bard's Tale IV. The original Bard's Tale was the first roleplaying game I ever played (loved it).

[​IMG]
    But alas, the buildings in this picture are just not close enough together to be Rats Nest. They got the single shrine right though. :cool:

4. Drocis the Devious

After careful thought, I have concluded that the Rats Nest Player Run Economy would be better served if the town design included a few village lots that were reserved for businesses. The goal would be to attract merchants that would appreciate more space to craft and operate within Rats Nest. Therefore, I'm removing 20 row lots to make room for 6 village lots that will be placed strategically in what I expect to be high traffic (and relatively safer) areas.

The goal would be to find business owners that would create Taverns and Inns, Smithy's and Shops out of these 6 lots. Players with row lots would be welcome to turn these homes into businesses too, but the village lots would offer additional storage and location advantages that many of the remaining 500 row lots would not.

If you're a business owner that has interest in one of these village lots, please contact me at your convenience for further details. I suspect that these village lots will be in high demand as we near launch of the game.

Numa, Atogrim and Abydos like this.
  5. redfish

redfish Avatar

Did you win it?

6. Drocis the Devious

I'm not sure what you mean. I was just commenting on how similar this Bard's Tale IV picture looked to my Rats Nest concept. I was being silly about having an influence on them.

7. redfish

redfish Avatar

I was just asking if you completed the original Bard's Tale game :)

8. Drocis the Devious

Oh, now I get it. Yes, I completed the original back in the mid 80's (or whenever it first came out) on my C-64. I didn't complete Bard's Tale 2 though - I thought it was bad.

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  9. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I think Drocis, you got the idea from them then. ;)

[​IMG]

10. Drocis the Devious

I guess we'll be able to confirm it if someone tries to leave Rats Nest and discovers that all the exits are blocked by magical snow and ice. :)

That map is ingrained in my head for life. The sewers to the guild hall especially.

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  11. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I used to hate sneezing when i played that game..i would hit a key and have no idea what direction i was facing and get lost XD

12. Balandar

Balandar Avatar

I love what you are doing with this town. The chaotic layout reminds me of cities in Forgotten Realms (at least how I picture them from reading the novels). Anyway, I look forward to visiting your city! Great job!

13. Drocis the Devious

Thank you, Balandar. It's still a work in progress. I get new ideas for it all the time. I think I have about 50+ town concept maps drawn up now. All of them have the same theme, I just tweak parts and pieces here and there. I'm probably overthinking it at this point.

Gaelis and Abydos like this.
  14. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I really like this town! Love the fact that is a rats maze of houses, where you can dip and dash in and out. Good job i definitely will go check it out maybe even get a place there "somewhere" that will be classified! grin

15. Drocis the Devious

Classified locations has always been a goal. I have several ideas how this could be supported even with current game mechanics. :)

16. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

awesome!

17. Drocis the Devious

Rats Nest is closer to a reality.
    [​IMG]

Abydos, Atogrim, unicornslady and 2 others like this.
  18. Drocis the Devious

Check out the new song for Rats Nest. It's currently been submitted for RG's review. Wish us luck! (please click the song title for more information about the fantastic artists who put life into these lyrics)

19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I love your song it is very beautiful and great job on the lyrics that tell your story Baron Docis. I agree we all have a story outside of the game story and our own purpose. For me I don't believe I would want to be totally limited on the game to story to what I enjoy or don't enjoy anway. :)

20. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

Boat travel in Novia is instantaneous. Novian physicists say it has to do with the shattered moon, and something about boats traveling through star gates. You should be good to go

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.