reality check on damage!

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Johnwick, Jun 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnwick

Johnwick Avatar

Its not to complicated or too late to change damage, its a matter up moving a bar up or down. Don't get me wrong I love this game but it still needs a lot of work, so since we are coming to final wipes etc... here goes @Chris

Swords - Damage great on people in leather animals etc.... it cust and slices, if I'm in leather or cloth the damage I get will be worse than in chain or plate.

Polearms - good damage at medium distances, can cut through chain or cut into plate (but not through) , if its a spear can puncture plate, good defensive weapon as well as offensive. Up close not so good you cant maneuver it as well (just a note; polearms are much more easier to get in close on and slide up the polearm itself, to deliver a sword/dagger hit.)

Daggers - only good at close distances can puncture metal armor, and slice through leather or cloth.

Hand axes/1 handed maces, (blunt weapons tend to do a lot more damage to metal wearing warriors due to the concussion it brings, history has shown that blunt trauma was the most devastating to plate armor wearers since most of the blunt weapons had a spike on it or something similar, it normally punctured the metal in turn digging into the warrior himself and eventually killing him. Leather and cloth tend to expend the concussion better since the armor is not a restricting type!

Two handed blunt Weapons - usually stunned the metal armored warrior, caused some sort of concussion or break in the body, getting hit with a large weapon like that most of the time, introduced the warrior who got hit to the ground(stun knockdown) If wearing leather or cloth the body would be broken, bones would be shattered etc.... (just a note; 2 handed swords rarely broke through the metal clad warrior, but instead stunned them. 2 handed swords could however cleave a man in half!

Shields - were devastating blunt weapons and blocked arrows most of the time, a shield bash could put a warrior on his butt. concussion damage was also caused.

Bows and Arrows - great against leather or cloth, not so great against metal armored warriors (unless of course a whole archery regiment fired at once, some of those arrows would be fatal. Bows and Arrows are useless when the enemy has closed the distance and is now on you! (which is the reason most archers in history also knew how to use swords! Rarely would a fully armored (metal) archer be any good since armor gers in the way of shooting a bow.

Fantasy area of this (based on many fantasy books and games.........................

Any fire spell (except fire arrows) - should burn away leather or cloth it will burn off of you and leave you unarmored Fire spells against plate and metal would do more damage since the armor does not burn off, but instead conducts the heat and keeps burning you (cooking you inside a metal pot per sey)

Any lightening spells - would burn through leather and cloth setting it on fire, and again here plate and chain would conduct electricity and fry you inside it!

Water/ice - these spells would weaken metal armor (making it brittle) barely do anything to leather or cloth. the metal clad warrior would survive this more than the non metal wearing armor warrior whos skin would freeze and cause massive damage possibly losing body parts due to it! (super frostbite if you will)

Chaos spells - pretty much have no limits unless your will is strong enough to avoid it (jedi popwers!)

Death spells - also fall under the above. If I fixed the damage count on things this and the above would be based on the victims intelligence.

Earth type spells - are basic damage based on the wrath of mother nature! Except Obsidian arrow wich is stated can ignore armor!

Subterfuge - your not going to be able to stab me in the back if I'm wearing plate or stun me with a sap if I have a helm on, great against cloth and leather wearers on the other hand.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  2. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Read up on the old combat posts. It all got it in there, but the don't lawyer me bro made is disappear, I guess ^^

Johnwick likes this.
  3. Gix

Gix Avatar

Just because you're wearing a thick layer of metal doesn't mean I can't stab you between the plates.

Plate armour offers better protection but it isn't impervious and, in a lot of case, would only prevent the wearer from suffering cuts and jabs from swords and blunt attacks from maces. For instance, holding a sword by the blade and using the hilt as a bludgeoning weapon was a valid tactic; mostly used specifically to stun armoured knights by aiming at their heads.

... or is that what you meant by categorizing it in the "fantasy" section of your post? Deflecting any argument by what you expect a knife in the back should be against heavy armour? Using "other games" as an reference isn't necessairly a fool-proof way of doing it. I mean, for the longest time (and I think it may still be the case), AD&D used to compute armour rating as hit-rating... meaning the higher armour value you had, the less likely you'd get hit.

With that said, Sap has currently no purpose in SotA; especially in PvE.

Depends on the type of archery; you might be thinking of the Britons archers. History has shown that some archers could practically hit anything (like a falling coin) at rapid succession (3-4 shots without using a quiver) even at close range and while running and jumping. They were less artillery in the field and more like close-range skirmishers in the forest. They would most definitely be capable of shooting through thin armor or aim between joints... especially since the heavy armour opponent(s) would technically be a LOT slower in comparison.

Just like back in the days where tanks were actually pretty damn fragile except that it would protect the people inside from bullets.

4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I just casually read the OP. But I wanted to comment on this specifically.

This would make a lot of sense if players couldn't max out all the attributes. But since they can, and do. This just creates a system where everyone has to have high everything. That only favors powergamers. I hate those kinds of systems, we have enough of that in the current system already.

blaquerogue likes this.
  5. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

With typical plate armorbit is solid,witin the armor about an inch or so leather and padfing under that. A strike agaist a helm by sword ot dagger would barely be felt ( i know i have an 18g helm made by a blcksmith that i fought in in SCA, most deaths to plate wearers were due ti bludgeon mace and the luke that typically were flanged or spiked which cause not only blunt trauma but if the helm ir armor was breeched the metal from that woulf tear into the body causeing more damage over time. Arrows on the other were fixed with special heads that penetrated armor plate snd the bows needed high poundage, crossbow bolts (solid metal arrows) were great to kill metal platef armor. Regular arrows easily deflected off plate armor and were more of a nusiance than effective, "the plate" in the video that was posted was like 8 to 14g useless against swords daggers and arrows. The thickness of a typical car door.

6. Gix

Gix Avatar

@blaquerogue an inch of leather protecting the whole body would be too expensive to cure when most people in that era (and location) relied on their livestock to live. So leather would be pretty hard to come by unless you're making boots, belts and straps.

The idea with archery (or daggers) wouldn't be to penetrate the armour, but to hit between the joints. Shields were the best defense against that.

7. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Those are hard shots to pull off in the midst of battle, your rich people mostly had plate (like you said expensive). Farmers normally wore a leather chest piece or less. any metal armor was expensive, called shots are hard to pull off in reality especially against a moving target.

8. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

No matter the armor you wear, how good a strategic player you are is going to be a major factor. If I am playing a mage, I better have a spell for major protection before I even contemplating attacking a foe or animal. If I am wearing heavy armor, I better be beefed up in the muscle department to wear it into battle. No matter if you have a legendary bow, its only as good as the skill acquired to use it to its full potential.

Aldo and blaquerogue like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.