Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Reasons to enter scenes

Discussion in 'Release 14 Feedback' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Feb 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

This release for the first time I tried to follow the story and quests. At first I didn't want to do it so that I wouln't be spoiled but I thought that it would be neccessary in order to provide some feedback.

I already gave my feedback regarding how story- and immersion breaking the respawns of monsters (especially quest-related creatures) are:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...d-the-wolf-pack-leader-oh-wait-i-didnt.20721/

Another thing I noticed was that there was next to nothing to do and next to nothing happening in the scenes besides gathering and fighting. I think that there should be much more to every scene in order to make them interesting.

Also there is next to no reason to enter scenes aside from "I want to fight monsters" or "I want to gather ressources". What other reason is there for us to enter the scenes? Why should I enter the Kingsroad? Why should I enter the Wyrmsands? Why should I enter Holtrot etc.? What is there for me to do?

Sandbox-fans might now say that there are monsters to fight and ressources to gather. But is this all there is to it? I mean what should someone who is interested in the story and in doing quests do in those scenes? Why should he enter them?

I think that there needs to be more reasons. For example maybe a popup when you come to the Kingsroad that says "You discover a blood trail leading to the Kingsroad". Then I would be interested in entering this scene and finding out what happened there - but then, there also needs to be something happening in the scene.
    Or NPCs telling me that there is something going on in this scene or you get a quest that leads you to that scene.

I hope that such things are planned to make the world interesting, to make me interested in wanting to explore all of the scenes.

2. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

I think they are Lord Darkmoon. Obviously something won't be happening all the time in every scene but the overland map will have visual cues that an event is happening in that scene.

Tahru and Lord_Darkmoon like this.
  3. Amethyst

Amethyst Avatar

We are currently playing on the mostly POT map. Hopefully, if we have the patience, SOTA will have new challenges on the Mainland map that we have never done. The question is, can we handle having a blank, unknown Mainland map. I doubt it. It is the price we pay for being in the game early. At least for now all the known quantities are on the Hidden Vale map.

4. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

personally i would refine the mainland map and get quests in every inch of it if needed - if this game is like 70% done with alpha, it kinda sounds like alot of cookie cutter interactions in the future, which lack creativity, but beat emptyness. or COMPLETE incompleteness (meaning, there isn't really ONE thing i can lay a synapse off the bat that says 'this part is done and perfect.' in the game)

and the more i think about it, the more i think, really? well, walking and running toggle works. i mean, there's stuff done, there's sprites on a page colliding, but really what i call 'innovative' is incomplete so far. i can't wait! :)

The Hendoman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.