Recall/teleport "rune stone" for vendors

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Modu, Aug 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Modu

Modu Avatar

What made the UO vendor system work so well was the fact that I could have a bag of rune stones to recall to. If I found a good vendor in a remote area of the world, I could rune stone recall (teleport) to it whenever I wanted to shop.

I've seen the threads where people complaining about teleport scrolls already. I can only assume these people didn't play UO because the rune stone system was just awesome. Having a bag full of rune stone locations I could recall to was one of the coolest aspects of Magery.

Maybe a vendor "favorites" list that you can use a teleport scroll to teleport to like the old recall days.

It would make the remotely located vendors useful.

Yes, I know I can run to them currently but I don't like to spend THAT much in game time travelling to remote vendor only to see that it hasn't been re-stocked yet.

Finding a good, "off the beaten path" vendor was a gem in UO. Maybe you told your friends, maybe you didn't if it was REALLY good. Some of these far away vendors were my staple for replacement armor, reagents, rare house items, etc. I would have never visited them with any regularity without rune stone recall.

Kal Ort Por, por favor?

Ember, Rilman, Gravidy and 11 others like this.
  2. 3dmark

3dmark Avatar

Oh yes please. I really miss this from UO as well.

3. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

Yeah, make single use house teleport scroll, maybe make it cost 50-100% more in regs than recall/ teleport to make initially to see how its used and control people using it as easy fast travels.
    1 person could still port there and rest then teleport to friend but would still be atleast 1 initial increased cost.

Personaly Id still favour the old rune / gate system, but make the runes crumble on use or something, maybe have durability and made from obsidian and enchanted with gold so not to easy to make.

Leelu, Time Lord and Ice Queen like this.
  4. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

Yes I would love it, it would help keep track of what vendors you like to visit.
    However it isn't really necessary. Lately I find myself not teleporting or recalling as much and just walking everywhere.
    It doesn't save that much time to teleport or recall, and really only useful when people are waiting on you.

Honestly, we won't get it until the "regional economy" purist finally see that there is absolutely nothing they can be done to make actual regional economies in a world as small as SotA and still be a fun game.
    (my conspiracy theory says regional economies were demanded by POT owners, and whale pledges that think that by trapping people in a region, that people will forced to visit/shop at their vendors only)
    Everything they can do to force regional economies, makes the game less fun.
    For example reducing map travel speeds again, (wastes time and makes the game feel like a time sink instead of a game)
    Adding more random encounters (a.k.2 more loading screens with a short run into between with no purpose)
    Making it so even 1 stone overweight roots you in place. (people will just take smaller loads, destory more stuff, and npc vendor more "resources")
    Making choke points actually deadly (people will just do them in multi player and bunch up until the majoriy of the herd can escape to the to other side)

5. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

If done it should have a severe cost.

Leelu and Time Lord like this.
  6. 3dmark

3dmark Avatar

Why??? I don't understand this current puritanism that I'm seeing on the forums, that everything has to be hard and miserable, and somehow the fun will emerge from this collective suffering.

Gravidy, Leelu, Budner and 4 others like this.
  7. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Its not punishment its keeping balance. Next you will ask for 100% lrc and fire beetles.

Alexander, Leelu and Time Lord like this.
  8. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Part of the desire is that regions have their own economy, which requires that it be somewhat difficult to move between regions without cost. Instantly teleporting, not only to a specific scene but immediately to a location within that scene to use a vendor, defeats these travel goals.

I'm fine with teleporting within the game, but it needs to be handled well. Instant teleportation anywhere at any time is not in line with what they are wanting this game to be. But perhaps teleporting to a region is; like a Moongate spell to one of the Lunar Rifts. Much more limited, but predictable, and provides a level of control that just did not exist in UO.

Leelu, Time Lord, Krohon and 4 others like this.
  9. Zosaria

Zosaria Avatar

No, people would be able to move around the map with the snap of a finger, it would result in killing the local economy. I would actually like to see both recall/teleport having a 12 hour cooldown.

10. redfish

redfish Avatar

It would result in killing more than the economy, but also killing any travel and any feeling that you were in a large world full of adventure. It would bring the game one step closer to being a virtual chat room. And in the end make the game less fun, not more fun. IMO.

I share the concern with people who have remotely located vendors. I just think the game needs a lot more tools for players to communicate; like noticeboards where you can advertise your shop, and mailboxes, so on; and think those types of things will accomplish what you want while at the same time making the game much richer and deeper, while easy fast travel would go in the other direction.

11. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I suspect there will be more to this game which will lock regions down, whether this is tied to factions, PvP, or something else. It makes sense to me to have many fast travel options with in a zone, but they should be very limited in terms of crossing control points.

Travel might work during certain hours, when the moons are in sync, when there's no war going on, etc.

That said, quick travel to your favorite lot within Ardoris, from within Ardoris it just convenient, not a strategic advantage.

Leelu, Time Lord and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  12. Modu

Modu Avatar

Doesn't the overland map kind of do that already?

13. redfish

redfish Avatar

No, I don't think so... It reminds me of a game like Ultima V that had an overland map, too.

I think roving encounters on the map are scheduled for R34, which would be the next release.

14. Trent

Trent Avatar

Waiting at a Moongate is laterally pointless. You can run the Overworld (Ardoris to Brittany to Aerie, to Etceter and back to Ardoris) with only traveling thru 2 passes (Eastreach and Nightshade) and 2 boats ( Elysium and Ecteter)
    within 30 mins**. But waiting to travel at a Moongate can take HOURS to go to 3 locations.
    ** Sotamap.com

Time Lord and Krohon like this.
  15. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

you can do Ardoris -> aldwater -> Etceter -> Xenos -> Elysium -> Aerie with 2 boats and no choke points.
    you can do Ardoris -> aldwater -> Etceter -> Brittany with no boats and no choke points.
    you can do Aerie -> Brittany with no boats an no choke points, by going north then east then south to brittany.

which would cut your 30 min round the world there and back again trip down to less than 15.

The only areas you actually have to cross a choke point to get to is Resolute/Jaanaford central area and the Spite/Port Graff north eastern area.
    The rest of the game is currently 1 big region.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  16. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I don't get it either, I never have. Making things more miserable instead of being able to immerse yourself into the game and have fun while doing so seems to be a theme with some folks. Trying to trap people into a region will not get more people coming into POT's and buying from them instead of going to the usual places to hunt and buy/sell items. We're creatures of habits, we gamers, we like to go to Npc towns to do our buying, trading, selling. No amount of trying to trap us into a region is going to work. We need more freedom and less time consuming ways to travel to be able to have fun in the places we want to go. It serves no purpose but to frustrate and waste time.

17. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Excellent, lets make a trade... Add ruin stones, remove teleport scrolls ;)

18. Krohon

Krohon Avatar

What is the need to shop everything available? In the past, 20 years ago, it wasn't possible, no Amazon! It was the same on the middle ages, or worse. If we are limited to just a part of the world, we will shop there and forget there is some (better?) vendor far away. UO has a great teleport system, but people didn't walk anymore, teleporting to travel just 2 or 3 screens away. The world feels small this way. I hope that on SotA we will feel the world larger, for it take some time to walk to some places.

19. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

Actually it has the opposite effect, if you could mark runes at your favorite vendors, more people would find it worth their time to explore every town, and every pot looking for deals, and marking runes to return.
    Then simply recalling to each of their favorite vendors just becomes part of the daily routine.

As it is right now, exploring vendors, is something you do when your in places you don't plan to return to and got some time to kill.

Leelu, Bow Vale, Time Lord and 6 others like this.
  20. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Good point, if we could mark runes to shops that could get me into visiting some vendors in a POT.

Leelu, Trent, Time Lord and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.