Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Recall teleport with over weight

Discussion in 'Release 27 Feedback Forum' started by Cirsee, Mar 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krohon

Krohon Avatar

You are right here, the balance might be a bit tipped on the easy side.

Miracle Dragon and Time Lord like this.
  2. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~Intel Encumbrance vs Str Encumbrance~o_O
    There's something in what @Baron Drocis Fondorlatos words about this that I find extremely important. Magic uses the mind and not the body. I do believe in weight limits, yet when it comes to magical transport, the mind should outweigh the matter.
    I never really thought of it that way before, but the mind should matter.

~Monopoly~;) Enough said...
    Well put @Budner , but I believe misleading...
    :rolleyes:Bunder... You old dog you'...;)

:oops:~Balloons, Ships and Wagons~
    These things I believe should have a transportation value when it comes to commerce that outshine any other mode of transport.
    But, we don't have those yet :(

:eek:~Attention to This Though~
    What and how do these things and magical transportation modes fit into an economy that is "mostly" player driven as we have heard "Richard the Lord British, King of ~Somewhere~ <---<< (That's for you Baron Drocis :D) ... we've all heard the talk about how our economy model is/was viewed as.
    :rolleyes: This alone places many of the things we've all spoken of here back into the wonder pile of unknown possibilities o_O
    Which means that what I've stated will be wrong, the opposing views could be wrong, or we could all be wrong about any of these impacts on our economy :(
    "I'm just Say'in'";)
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

3. zyxe

zyxe Avatar

Maybe there should just be a delivery fee to transfer items from one bank to another. It's silly to have household decorating items (pavers, fences...) that weigh a lot and not be able to have them simply dropped off at your town's bank, but instead have to walk them from one area to another while encumbered. If you wanted to be super realistic, you'd have a backpack or something with a very limited amount of slots that count both weight and space, which isn't practical in this game, IMO. I play games to have fun, and I don't get what's supposed to be fun about having relatively limited weights for a game that feels heavily reliant on gathering materials for crafting and having to constantly walk slowly back and forth from a zone where I gathered loot and other crafting items to my home which might be ridiculously far away. Right now I'm fine with the way encumbrance works, minus teleporting (though I didn't know that was an issue since I haven't tried to TP while encumbered lately anyway).

stratigos, Budner, Time Lord and 4 others like this.
  4. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

Well we could always set decoration items to zero weight. They aren't game breaking and are, generally, on a personal use level. This would enable moving easier until the magic movers come into play. I noticed the movers won't be in until after final wipe.. so you may be looking at the manual walk till the end of the year or third quarter at earliest.

5. smack

smack Avatar

Increase your strength skills (including Heavy Lifter).
    We will have magic movers for houses (and its decorations, in-tact hopefully).
    We will have bank transfers (not just between locations for the same account but hopefully between accounts too).
    And perhaps one day we'll get pack animals (multiple ones at a time possibly).

If you see item weights that don't make sense relative to other items, please /bug it. There are still tons of items that need fixing.

Leelu, Krohon and Time Lord like this.
  6. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~What are We Trying to Stop?~

I have no idea at this point...
    I wanted to do some heavy hunting while encumbered, so I set myself to going far and beyond what I could ever stand to do again. My Avatar hasn't that much strength because he's new, but he's a sort of non magical fighter which suits the investigation. My Focus after 180'lbs was dropping every time I moved, but I just kept at it. As I gained weight, I began moving more slowly and was surprised that my Avatar continued to slow down the more and more I piled onto him "while hunting". I made it up to 754'lbs :confused: and had reached my own limit to how much I could stand trying to hunt carrying so much. It just got more grueling and I could have hunted more quantity than I did if I had made many trips to sell my stuff off without the encumbrance.

My thinking is that intelligence should matter when teleporting, because the more lightly strength mage is at a clear disadvantage unless they can make many trips teleporting everywhere.

I think that encumbrance should have more of a speed penalty than it already has while walking. Not much more, but I think my Avatar should have come to complete stop at some point and slowed his movement a tad bit more than it did, "just to make encumbrance fun and more funny looking than it already is." Yet I also feel that carrying heavier loads should help the Avatar gain more strength by using encumbrance as a training tool.

I would however wish that they re-visit modifying encumbrance after horses, pack animals and air and sea ships become available. <---<<< The trouble with that thinking is, is that whenever we give an ability that will suffer changes within it's future, you can never change anything downward because those players that had gotten use to any easy system, tend to complain about any loss of control power within the game that they had become accustom to.

With what @smack said, I think we're on track, yet recall and teleporting will still be an issue until we see what is to come and how it impacts all our abilities to play. So many more people have little time to play our game when compared to someone like me. I don't mind any hindrance to the amount of time my game play takes, yet the majority need to get into and out of action, plus have the ability to enjoy commerce and all the other facets of our game.

:oops:~Play Style Should Be Up to the Individual~
    "The In and Out Burger vs The Sit Down Service Food?"
    The In and Out will sell more hamburgers...
    and we need to sell our game ;)

Budner, Leelu, Miracle Dragon and 2 others like this.
  7. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

This will be problematic for my gallery...

Leelu, Krohon and Time Lord like this.
  8. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

I think that recall should still work while encumbered, but the countdown timer should increase so that the more overweight you are, the more time it takes to recall. 2 minutes (real time) as soon as encumbered up to a 20 minutes max sounds about right to me.

Leelu, Alley Oop and Time Lord like this.
  9. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

Well said! It is often brought up that this game needs to cater to every type of player including those who only have 30 minutes to play before bed on the weekends.

I say, why? One of the main goals of this project was to bring back some of the old RPG concepts that got pushed aside as the genre became mainstream and started catering to casual players looking for quick action packed 30 minute play sessions.

This is a niche game, and that is what it wants to be. If it were intended for the mainstream it wouldn't be crowd funded. They would have gotten big investments from a AAA publisher.

I know people sometimes don't have a lot of time to play. I don't always myself, but that's when I play something else that allows for quick action.

SOTA should be looked at as a long term investment in a complex RPG world. No where in the Kickstarter was convenient travel and quick play sessions advertised.

Leelu likes this.
  10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Hmm... I don't think you're right about those investors @Lord Dreamo o_O...
    It's what those AAA publishers would do with our game before it had been developed that would cause it to be "just another game"...

SOTA is headed for mainstream distribution and will probably get bought by a main distributor, yet by crowd funding though Kickstarter, Richard, his crew and his followers are developing the game that all Ultimas wanted to be but were hindered by not only the technology of those time, "but more importantly hindered by the boardroom members of those AAA gaming companies".

~Let me put it another way~:cool:

This is beyond a AAA game, because it was/is developed outside the influences of AAA game companies ;)
    "Then they can buy it" :D and bring more players for us to play with and further develop SOTA on Portalarium's terms :cool:

Budner, Leelu, Katrina Bekers and 2 others like this.
  11. Krohon

Krohon Avatar

You are kidding, right? O perhaps you forgot how was the old way of playing RPGs... without maps and without journal, cryptic quests and obscure hints. 8h sessions every day was more likely than 30 min every week end, since we would forgot what we were doing by then, and had not time to progress on such little time anyway.

But SotA is a modern game that has some elements to appeal the old guard. Besides, US$ 8M (would be over 12 by year end, I imagine) is not bad. It´s much more an "AAA" publisher would invest on this kind of games anyway. SotA is already almost self financing and the need of fresh cash is, perhaps, not as maddening as you might think.

What would happens if SotA is taken over by an "AAA" publisher?
    Case 1, NCSoft: The Lord British character will be surfeit (feed excessively) until he becomes exceedingly fat, their pics will be published on the net, and the he will be executed. The game will be then discontinued.
    Case 2, EA: Lord Blackthorn will succeed Lord British, then EA will hire some clueless, RPG unaware guy as boss of the SotA project, and will move away to care about other games like Pogo.
    Case 3, Zynga: Agriculture will be greatly improved. Sadly, every other aspect of the game will be neglected. The game will be eventually re-released under the title of "Shroud of the Farmer".

Well, I cannot handle all the cases.

Leelu and Time Lord like this.
  12. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~Accurate Predictions Are Difficult~

This is a player and creator developed game. Richard and the team have the vision. The only deal to be made after R1 begins, is to cut the deal with a company like EA and Origins to open their distribution for it. This is not a sell out, "it's on terms". Richard and the Team did not start this as a crowd fund because they couldn't get an EA Job... They're doing it this way because it's how to get better content and also how to keep control of the project once EA or another becomes involved.

I don't see anyone that's worked on this to wish to sell out, or quit being interested in their job.
    They will not loose creative control :cool:

So I don't think the "Shroud of the Farmer" fits, unless one hasn't seen the monster bashing or quest engine that's being developed here... It's just amazing and even with such a small amount having thus far been completed.
    What we see right now are only place-holders for what is to come.

We do need to fill in the blanks, But Rome wasn't built in a day either ;)

Leelu, Budner and Krohon like this.
  13. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I agree that the teleport/recall abilities should not work when encumbered. When soloing/exp'ing/grinding/getting loot, you should just simply have to choose greed and haul it all back to town, or choose speed and drop some of the loot on the ground, and learn to travel more lightly.

However, she raises a good point about moving, and I see nothing wrong with a "Britannian Moving Co." where an NPC can have any number of items shipped to the bank of another location for a small fee based on weight. The number of control points passed between towns, the more expensive the move.

Or just load your pack just under encumbrance, and prepare to walk a lot and recall back and repeat.

The control points are rather easy to walk through, even at "level 0". I dont think teleporting through them is that big of a deal, esp when you can only have one bind point (so its a one-way trip), and when the recast timer is so long.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
    Time Lord, Leelu and Krohon like this.
  14. Andrew Rodrick

Andrew Rodrick Avatar

Absolutely, however as they are not fully implemented yet who knows if this will continue to be the case after launch, they are control points after all! Personally I very much doubt they will be easy to pass once finished, in fact they are going to be key in promoting regional economies.

Time Lord and Krohon like this.
  15. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

methinks this thread got a bit derailed.

I just like to keep in mind that it is a game - thus there needs to be steps around the management needs of real life. To add to this, this is a game with magic. Magic completely defies reality. If I could pack up a house and instantly travel in a sci-fi game, there is absolutely no reason I couldn't pack up 5 houses and jump to a bind point in a magic game.

Time Lord and Budner like this.
  16. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

This might have been true twenty years ago.

Nowadays, you don't need to be bought out by a large distributor/publisher. Especially considering that CDNs became the main distribution channels for an huge amount of markets.

Our lord, liege and savior gaben solved this problem many moons ago.

Time Lord and Krohon like this.
  17. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

I think in this case, LB may be less inclined than most, given the "Origin" of his problem of getting the rights to Ultima back. ;)

18. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

It's not the "rate" that's effected, but your movement speed... At 1000 over, it starts using focus to move AND you move really slow... If you stop, it does regen, like your resting, and if you cast any of the "strength" spells (and your only 100+ over)... It will relove the encumbrance temporarily. I don't see where there's a problem because you can unload at your new place, recall back to your old place... Figure out "how much" you can go over with casting strength, then "teleport" to a friend who's waiting at your new place... Do that until your all moved... I hope the Dev do put in a "moving" package, where you just tell it where you're moving too, and they charge a flat fee to move your stuff to that Banker...

19. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

You're right, it's not the rate it's the act of moving while encumbered the drains focus currently.

I hope the price to move stuff is very high.

SmokerKGB and Time Lord like this.
  20. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Pretty sure I recall development notes indicating a future feature that will enable picking up a house and placing in on a new lot with all items intact. If that is so, it addresses the one of the largest moving hassles.

SmokerKGB likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.