Recap: Developer Chat 6/21/13 (FOCUS ON INVENTORY & UI)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dame Lori, Jun 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

[​IMG]

Today's developer chat about inventory and user interface included Lord British, B, Chris, Scott Jones, Tracy Hickman & Gina (FireLotus). Below is my recap of the hour. As usual, I can make errors or mishear something, and there is always a lot of good discussion in the video which can not all be recorded here, so I urge everyone to watch the video for the full details:​
    Summary:​
    - They are cramming to get a demo ready for Rooster Teeth Expo.​
    - New Britannia Runic was revealed - some letters are different, and no double letters so they can create fonts and make it easier for translation.​
    [​IMG]
    New Runic Alphabet (disregard the coloring of certain letters)
    - Bag-based inventory. Backpack has several pieces you can interact with - journal (with runic on spine), spell book, map. Click on them and it will bring up interface for those objects. Arrows in quiver.​
    [​IMG]
    Showing the progress on the user interface
    - Real world objects (like bags and items) will look realistic in UI, but other features will be as simple and non-intrusive as possible. They are going for a minimalistic UI.​
    - Some UI elements can be configured around the screen.​
    - Containers will have a limited amount of capacity. You will be able to switch between free-form inventory placement and grid layout within your bags.​
    - They are still deciding how to handle weight limits (for example, if it will be a restriction on movement.)​
    - There will be certain bags that reduce weight, allow you to carry more, etc.​
    - There will be some sorting capabilities and hot-keys for inventory.​
    - Monster loot will show in interface and you may need to drag it to your bag or it will just involve clicking on what you want and it goes into your bag. There will be a shortcut "loot all" button.​
    - There will be some slots on your paperdoll that can hold a large items you can't fit in your bag (like furniture)​
    [​IMG]
    I hope I don't need to say this is not representative of what will be in the actual game, but after the uproar from the Kickstarter demo... LOL... This shows the general paperdoll layout that will be developed - you can see the slots on the bottom for bags and large items to carry. The silly placeholder gypsy is from the wonderful Space Bards fan video "The Return of Lord British"
    - Over time they think the pet and hireling system will be more sophisticated and likely include pack-animals.​
    - Secure trading will be available between characters.​
    - They will post up some unity objects (crowd-sharing) within the next 1-2 weeks.​
    - The chat video cut out prematurely, and Chris came back for a quick chat about Unity assets and more on The_Hairy_Man's contributions. Watch the video for info!​
    [​IMG]

2. Jonathon.Doran

Jonathon.Doran Avatar

Thanks for posting this recap. These days I'm pretty busy, and have been missing the webcasts. My comments in red, questions for the folks at Portalarium.

taka likes this.
  3. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

I agree that the bags look awfully small, for either free form or grid placement. I understand not wanting to cover up the screen, but....

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

*resisting an obvious "size" vs usage comment* We've yet to see them with anything inside so it's hard to tell. We don't know the planned size for item icons yet.

Stile likes this.
  5. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

notice they talk about kindred level for your dwelling. Where's the guy who said they had done away with it?

6. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

Also mentioned and confirmed by Chris in the chat channel, spells(or at least some method) similar to Ultima Online's Gate Travel and Recall will be in Shroud of the Avatar.

7. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

boooooooooooooo

InsaneMembrane likes this.
  8. stile

stile Avatar

That was actually my first thought when I excitedly read the re-cap (Thank you for a great re-cap! I shared it out a few places with appropriate credits and links). My second reaction when I was eyeing the bag sizes and scratching my head thinking.. they look kinda small.... was to blink and remember im using a 42" LED tv for a monitor so it probably
    won't matter much to me >
    Woot!!! Careful IM, I'm starting to like some of your posts! *winks*.

9. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

Easily solved guys, after you like my post there is a little button to the top right of the "...like this" line where you can click Report. Just make sure you do both, and equilibrium will remain.

10. taka

taka Avatar

Thanks Dame Lori!
    Your recaps are very helpful for non-native English speakers.
    The recaps is my weekly enjoyment.

Sinclair and Vamppire like this.
  11. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Thanks for the recap!

Vamppire likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.