1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Recent Bans for Botting and Exploiting

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Berek, Oct 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Avatar

I know you guys track metrics of XP gained per hour based on 15 minute samples and gold too.

How about if someone is wrongfully suspended, you give them compensation in the form of 50% of their peak xp and gp/hr gain multiplied by the number of hours their account was suspended? Seems fair.

2. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

They log every transaction. It is wrong to think they don't. They can see any time any account transfers any item, at any amount. No need to worry so much.

3. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Avatar

I actually do make about 10 to possibly 100x the amount of xp and gold as the 'average' person (No idea what the 'average' is, but I know I'm over 4x 'expected maximum'). Last I was told, I'm in the top 10 for peak xp gain/hr and I'm completely legit. I have also shared my gains with 2 other people, likely placing them both up there with me (even split).

My only defense is that I am, to some people's dislike, incredibly chatty on discord while I drone away at something simple enough for my laptop (weak machine) to handle while I'm at work. When I'm home, I'm usually heavily engaged in much more productive activities and only chatting occasionally with my guild. I'm always active, responsive, and chatty.

So, an auto-banning or auto-suspending system definitely has me concerned. I have no problems at all with an auto-flag system that alerts a GM/Dev to come investigate someone stealthily, but that is time and resource/manpower intensive.

See my above post to DarkStarr.

One other thought.... I need to go check my storage at my house. If I legitimately and unknowingly purchased resources from someone who got them through cheating (maybe why the price was so low?), am I then subject to penalty or having my purchases deleted?

4. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Wow.. that totally explained it.. That Avatar LonelyGirl19 was a bot after all. No wonder why she didn't response to Budner's pickup lines.

Elwyn, Nhili Dragon, Retro and 19 others like this.
  5. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

When Chris, Lum, or Starr suddenly appear before you and start doing one of the new dances... join in or say WTF. 8^)

Elwyn, Kaisa, Sator Faryn and 2 others like this.
  6. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Don't you need two people to have a chat? I often come pop the window up to find a huge Xeen monologue. :)

Kaisa, Bom, Vrunk Hrrk and 4 others like this.
  7. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

hey.. in fairness... there could be a cast o thousands on the other side of Xeen's screen ;p

personally I don't mind (perhaps as I too am prone to being "Chatty Cathy") but hey.... it's a sign of life...something we could (imo) use more of.

That ain't no bot chattin.

8. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Hehehhehehe, Ill vouch for xeen's chattyness in guild chat :) heheheh sup xeen :).

9. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Avatar

Yeah, often someone gets me talking about a conversation, I get into it, then they just disappear... In an attempt to have a bit of life in the place, I will try to get more to participate by talking more. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I'm amused that some people sit in chat and say nothing the whole time, except to complain once in awhile that I'm talking too much. It's the irony that I find humorous.

Sup, party pooper. Atos wouldn't give me your rank and you wouldn't come ask yourself.

10. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

LOL, meh, im not to interested in how rank I am, I know I need a bath :).

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  11. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I love this by the way and I wonder if it will increase the price of rares due to some things getting deleted. I have a few questions for clarification.
    Now if these persons buy a quest hat in game and they have it on their account, does it get deleted? Because I hope so. If they have a hearth of britania on the account that they bought in game, does that get deleted, because I hope so, it would make rares even more rare.

12. redfish

redfish Avatar

I'm wondering if it will increase commodity prices.

13. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

you know it will eventually because the flooding of the market will slow down at least. when there is less commodity and increase demand prices will rise.

14. Kambrius

Kambrius Avatar

It has to be this dance or none at all. And the other Devs have to circle the offender and do /facepalm in order to further shame the person.
    [​IMG]

Nhili Dragon, Kaisa, rild and 7 others like this.
  15. Numa

Numa Avatar

Yup, not responding to Budner's pickup lines (even in shock) is a dead giveaway that it's a bot :)

16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

No I was not, no worries. The bans were all misunderstandings, but still upsetting to the individual. I really just want some in game warning or checking. I was banned from Aion once. I was out gathering resources and killing and someone reported me as a bot and I got an immediate ban. I tell you it was the most difficult thing to prove my innocence, like their word against mine. I don't want to see this happen in this game, it is not up to other players to get someone kicked out of a game, that would be craziness. So it is good to talk it all out. In the case of the person who was banned imo it is a sensitive individual who takes this worse than I would. I am pretty thick skinned and don't get too upset or take it so hard as some other people do. I bounce back well. I believe in this game and this is just something to work out like no banning of accounts just because 1 person says so or a broken system says so, it should be looked into. :). So the mistaken bans are still happening atm, this is recent. :) So good feedback is important from everyone to protect the innocent and unknowing offenders. We know so little in this game at this point in development, what is bannable offences is very unclear, and to find the problems takes doing them to know them so it is a two edged sword or hmm something lol it is late;) But even when you might find them who's to know what is what, it is very unclear and too early to be so harsh imo.

Bom, Hornpipe, shathiell and 2 others like this.
  17. Lady Witchblade

Lady Witchblade Avatar

The game has fixed spawning locations of resources.... so stupid and easy to exploit. How this was ever decided as a good idea.
    Make ore nodes spawn randomly on mountains and trees and cotton also appear randomly in scenes. All automated problems fixed and no more boring static gathering.

18. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

It doesn't matter what state of "development" the game is in anymore. The problem is the game has hit a persistent state. There is no room for tolerance of exploitation at this point. Most MMO's will rollback the entire server if major exploits have been abused. I applaud Port for just banning and wiping a few dozen accounts. Unfortunately, they didn't stop it before it grew to 20% of the economy. But the damage should fade with time.

19. Mitara

Mitara Avatar

So you got banned for deliberately cheating, sad... just sad :/

20. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

NOT banning for exploits during persistence does huge amounts of damage to both the economy and the community. People had already walked away thinking this was going to be overlooked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.