Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Recipe Discoverability Limited (Experiment) concerns

Discussion in 'Release 36 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Umuri, Nov 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

agreed however....and I am not trying to be snarky here...I am willing to bet there are a good many people who do not have the time nor inclination to pour over every minute of hangouts.. read every standup...dive deeply into every set of release notes... AND...have a little time to actually "play" the game. There are also those who did see the hangout but missed the importance..this really does need to be delayed before implementation.

jus my 2 cents

2. Terrence Phillip

Terrence Phillip Avatar

Yes, exactly, it needs to be delayed.

Mishikal likes this.
  3. Syznow

Syznow Avatar

If they are gonna change the recipe system like this, then I see no reason at all for the continued existence of "discoverability" for even low level recipes. Discoverability was hyped as one of the features of the crafting systems before, but now they might as well just give new player starting recipes and toss out all the discoverability code to simplify things. Having purchase, teachability, and discoverability... but only for specific recipes is just overly confusing. They should simply lower the cost for recipes on NPCs and get rid of discoverabily entirely if they are gonna force players to buy most recipes for crafting.

Also with this change, I would expect all the recipe scrolls to now display not only the level at which the recipe can be used/crafted, but also all the ingredients needed to craft the recipe. There is now longer any reason to hide the ingredients for recipes where discoverability is not applicable and that way players can know before they waste gold on a recipe whether there are prerequities that they might need to buy and learn first, or if there are hard to obtain ingredients that make the recipe something that they don't want to waste time/money learning at their current stage of char development.

Chatele, Gravidy, Lace and 5 others like this.
  4. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

after going into semi panic mode after watching your video....I hit QA thinking... oh no.. this can't be correct...
    Sure as poop....I knew for example the recipes for a copper and an Iron Hilt...now for the life of me idk why the Copper is Re-teachable but the Iron isn't even teachable but at any rate
    I thought I'd try out discovery and doh.. sure enough.. I cannot discover a Constantan variation. Of course I had the recipe correct... I bought one to see...

It's more like Mega YUGE and frankly... has me over using my deskflip skills

I mean seriously.. do we now have to Fiddle fart around and buy a recipe for every single flippin variant>?

@Chris ... Seriously? I mean dude.. is the experiment to see how low the population can be driven?
    Make enough stuff abso-Flipping-lutely tedious/time-consuming/expensive and know what... it just not fun anymore.

I"m laying bets that at this rate the underwhelming final telethon of 2015 will be nothing compared to the underwhelming 'thon of '16.

5. Terrence Phillip

Terrence Phillip Avatar

It does not make sense to have to buy a recipe for every metal variation of a craftable item.

6. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Amen

rild, Lace, Leelu and 1 other person like this.
  7. monkeysmack

monkeysmack Avatar

Yeah. The variants should be discoverable.

rild, cartodude, Lace and 2 others like this.
  8. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

@Chris

In the midst of my kvetching...I neglected to offer a suggestion: As I look at my recipe book... which I've been spending time and $ filling up.. mostly with the discovery method..I can't help but note inconsistencies...

For example...If I craft a Hilt.. I seem to need a separate recipe for each metal yet when I craft a Chain chest the recipe just says "coil of metal wire". I would submit the latter makes some sense.. the former.. not at all.
    I would suggest the recipes be modified (and ya.. I mean taking the time to put off the current proposal so it can be done right) so they ALL make sense...

After that... perhaps we can get to making crafting make economic sense which it clearly does not as of this writing.

EDIT: @DarkStarr // LOL Chris said this in on YOU

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  9. Malimn

Malimn Avatar

Log onto QC and check out the blacksmith vendor in Britany Warfs.. .You will see recipes for sale for augmented copper, bronze, etc..

rild likes this.
  10. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

uh.. well... the time to nip that "in the bud" has LONG passed. So now.. we should just slap in the face all those players who have selflessly taken time and resources to provide the sites to assist us.
    Lord knows Port hasn't done much along the lines of instruction sets...

Go figure it out is fine.. for those who don't .. you know.. have jobs etc. and can just play all day. Not dissin them mind you...I've been in the position to have that luxury before but I think it's safe to say most don't.

Lace likes this.
  11. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

It doesn't mean it makes sense.

Sometimes the KISS (Keep it simple st00pid) method has real merit

Chatele and Lace like this.
  12. Malimn

Malimn Avatar

Look at the blacksmith vendor in Britany Warfs. You will see recipes for different versions of armor based off of metal types, well it was as of 10pm central last night, for sale. One recipe for each armor type based off of metals used.

13. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

One way to improve this is to add a chance to discover related recipes if you successfully craft items. This could be tied to recipe and crafter level.

K1000 likes this.
  14. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

Mishikal likes this.
  15. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

No it does not, and I really hope that will not be the case..

K1000 and Mishikal like this.
  16. rild

rild Avatar

There is far more warning for changes in this game than in the history of gaming before. You are essentially in a live alpha version that can alter at any time, and it is stated constantly throughout the pre-game and in-game experience. IMHO there is no need to delay balancing actions, and there is no need to consider them permanent. New Britannia is in constant flux, and we are all willing participants in Chaos.

I agree that metal variations should be discoverable. What if on discovery, you started at say 5% skill. Purchase the training (for a substantial amount of gold) and you could start at say 30%. This would seem a fair and realistic compromise. We cannot ignore the fact that today's internet resources make "hidden" content readily available to any player. Yet, we should not punish the player who plays straight through without looking at outside resources. In fact, I think such a system would greatly strengthen the Single Player experience. Those players might very well wish to spend their time experimenting with materials - because some people truly enjoy that.

In tandem, there could be a focus-type crafting skill that benefits the starting % on discovery, something like "Innovative Mind" or some such.

K1000 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.