Reduce posibilities to grind and exploit like Mode switch!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Stundorn, Mar 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

I stopped counting on how often you actually posted this here on the forums already :p

Nothing wrong with that, choose the mode you want. But do you seriously enjoy being able to kill the same boss over and over again? In theory 100 times a day?

I agree :D

Stundorn and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

lmao if they are even remotely monitoring and "Controlling" them they are doing one of the worst jobs ever. Not one thing intoroduced is "Rare" in any way.

All they have done is create a very robust source of income to cover and keep player who "Power Game" as the top player in control of the 3rd party market.

That is / was of the major concerns of most early players, but if you look very closely - those player / backers have pretty much packed it in.

Port has and continues to show that it is creating a money making game, for them / and their partners.

4 year from the beginning and pledges items have been shelved - how do you shelve a pledge items? and every month they generate well over 200k new income???? not to mention keep introducing new "rares".

Not even Launched and it looks exactly like the business middle UO worked off of. just this looks more like freemium play not subscriptions.

sorry not one of the sheeple, pay on

3. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Obviously I have to post it over and over again as people don't seem to get it ;)

I don't see that much of a difference doing this alone or in a group but if people want to they should do it.

For me a problem that SotA has is that people push it into the MMO corner and the devs seem to apply. But the game wasn't a MMO in the beginning and I doubt that the Selective Multiplayer approach took a "real" MMO into account. Otherwise why are the problems showing up now, this late in development?
    The grinding for example: Why do we need it? Why is it in the game? In a storydriven RPG?

My impression is that the game was meant to be like this in the beginning:
    Experience a great story with exciting quests either alone or with friends cooperatively. This would have been the core of the game. We advance through the story and the quests. This would have been the main means of advancing the character. People could meet others in MMO mode in the cities, do their synchronous dancing and housing thing and do PvP in special "arena- or guild war-scenes". I doubt that (most) scenes were meant as typical MMO scenes. They were meant as adventure scenes for solo players or small groups. Therefore the networking problems we now face in MMO mode.
    But somehow the MMO crowd pushed for classic MMO content. And this ripped the whole game apart. Suddenly people needed grinding to advance, PvP zones for griefing, everything should be done in MMO mode preferably. And the whole concept of the game couldn't sustain this anymore. It fell apart. The whole story and quest part suffered, the solo play and group play, too. What remains is grinding, dancing, housing and a Selective Multiplayer game that is such no more as the whole concept doesn't work anymore.

4. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

You said "If people want to they should do it".
    And then "The grinding for example: Why do we need it? Why is it in the game? In a storydriven RPG?"

But killing bosses over and over again is just grinding :p

While i seriously hope for a very good SotA MMO experience with quests and story i still see all your points and totally agree...
    The selective thing was a bad idea to begin with.
    They should have focused on one thing only, MMO or Singleplayer, not both mixed up in several modes.

5. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

well said

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  6. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Ye... but everytime i read that i don't even have to look at the Avatar to the left, i exactly know it's you, again :p
    Nothing wrong with that lol, it's just funny, you post it really A LOT :p

Stundorn likes this.
  7. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

SOTA is designed for All the best stuff being player created. Since everything required to make these items is grind based, even the artifacts to make better artifacts, how can you compare it to WOW which is a dropped-based casual game? Like I said before "you can not build a game that requires grinding of any type for a casual player" .

People are completely missing the point. Doesn't matter what other games have done. You can't build a grind based game and expect casuals to be happy

8. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Yet grinding was not a part of the initial game design (take a look at the Kickstarter site) and I think the player driven economy with the best items being built by the players was also not part of the initial design of the game. It came on board during development, taking part in ripping the whole game apart.

9. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

One other thing that could be done is put a personal debuff on people that have just defeated a boss (cooldown timer) that would last on a person even through switching modes. The debuff would be for example: Cannot get exp or loot from boss until x amount of time is passed.

GrayFog likes this.
  10. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I think he and i and some more shouldn't stop it ;)

And it is not about we dont grant people mmo Features, but want to be account as well.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    GrayFog likes this.
  11. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

The point is do we need do it to play all aspects of the game or do we because it's challenging fun?

Well, it's a must atm and that wrong.

GrayFog likes this.
  12. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

nope, you shouldn't, i agree :p

13. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Nah not a must, i don't do it anymore, simply because it's just boring :D
    I want challenge, and none of the bosses give challenge since you can farm them endlessy and expecially since all are just tank&spank dps down (zero tactics required).

Meh...
    I hope they don't release this game in 2017...

14. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I would rather wait q4 2018 and to have things more balanced and tons of quest about lore, who introduce people into the world if they want, fully optional, but if you are interested in the lore of the land there should be quests around every corner that tells more or less stories from New Britania.
    And if this Quest give all a good amount of xp things like Boss Camping and grinding become obsolete.
    May the people who like this more do it and don't Quest.
    But it shouldn't in the end the way people go for xp.
    I am glad that some of the hardcore gamers doesnt feel accused and has the same opinion.
    +10 @GrayFog

GrayFog and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  15. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I don't agree that player created items should ever be better than rare artifact drops. The mob dropped artifacts should always be the rarest and most powerful equipables a player can get - it incentivizes the grind - and that is so very important because 90% of this game is grinding.

16. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

more players fix mode switching when multiplayer has a large player base and people camping a dragon 24/7 not worth swotching to it to hope for last hit a reasonable percentage of the time. Fix it now with less Numbers and then no one will see bosses becauses there cleared out in the first 10 minutes of server up time.

17. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Na, is not, it can but not constraint.
    I often like your Ideas from the opposite site and feel it constructive to debate with you around. But i dislike this idea very much :rolleyes:

Although you are right it shouldnt depend on this.
    People from other timezones and such...

Hey but you give me an idea.
    Maybe i should stealth and try to steal the bosskills of groups, i would have a lot of trys, although one try over another i need to wait :p

18. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Where does the magic come from? An artifact imbued with rare magic that is less powerful than a player crafted item makes no sense. How does lore support this?

Right now, players that gind and grind and grind their crafting skills can make powerful magical items... but why? Maybe if they had to master magic AND crafting, then they could create powerful magical artifacts... but the way things are right now it makes no sense. It's easy for lore to support how a boss or magical creature can drop a rare magical artifact... what is the lore for a crafter to be able to create one?

19. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

In lore you are "The Avatar".

20. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Level grinding... which it's not. They never said there would be no grinding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.