Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Registry bloat corrupted user profile

Discussion in 'Release 31 Bug Forum' started by Umuri, Jul 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

Title: Registry bloat corrupted user profile
    Reproduction Rate:100% on sample size 1
    Blocker? YES
    Details: A friend reported they couldn't login to their system, it would bluescreen and start rebooting. We made them a new user profile and all was fine, but upon looking into it, it was dying on the registry.
    Now their system was a bit out of date, and it's quite possible newer OS/patch levels deal with this gracefully or that a previous release fixed this, however:

In the user registry keyspace(HKU/Software/Portalarium), there was a keyfolder for portalarium that was over 20 megs in size.
    In the registry.
    Regedit would crash just upon trying to analyze that keyfolder.
    There were hundreds of thousands of keys containing container data, of the format:
    "HUD.ContainerList56e39dd5a72afd6b578fa247.pos.y_h3681979300"=hex(4):00,00,00,\
    00,00,00,44,c0

Please look into whatever programmer decided it was alright to abuse the registry like that and stuff their trousers with the paper equivalent of 947,324 lines of "Registries have rights too, don't abuse them".

If it is the case a previous release fixed this, then i bug report that any fix should have cleaned everyone's registry while it's at it, and there should be a patch to purge the registry of these heinous crimes, because that's not something you want to try to have customer support guide users through on their own.

Steps to Reproduce: Play sota for forever and a day, open up all the things.

2. tomelectric

tomelectric Avatar

Nice job I will be interested in the answer!

Umuri and FrostII like this.
  3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I took a look at my registry entry's for Portalarium/Shroud of the Avatar and also found hundreds of these HUD.ContainerListxxxxxxxxxxxxx entry's, and virtually all of them have a Data entry that says: "(invalid DWORD (32-bit) value)", as well as many others that have that same (invalid DWORD....) Data value.

7/3/2016 5:10 PM
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz (8) System RAM: 12287
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 GPU RAM: 4007
    SotA.EarlyAccess.Win.64.437.Date.07.01.16
    Area: Novia_R9_Forest02_03
    Loc: (-113.6, 28.5, 98.8)

Aldo and Umuri like this.
  4. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Submitted for review. Thank you for reporting!

5. agra

agra Avatar

Checked my registry, found several dozen thousand " HUD.ContainerList* " entries in \HCU\Software\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\ , as well. Good troubleshooting, Umuri.

6. smack

smack Avatar

it would be best if the devs made a recommendation that everyone does a complete / clean uninstall of all files and registry entries and re-install clean for final wipe.

7. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

To the OP.... outstanding find. Hopefully we have an organized fix for this in the near future. I can't imagine the chaos if people like me dive in to resolve the issue.

8. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

If it's still an issue a week before final wipe I will make a little one click tool to clean it up for people, with fifteen pages of disclaimers you have to read through to get to one tiny button that says "Ok fine fix it and hope to god nothing breaks"

Aldo and smack like this.
  9. smack

smack Avatar

Or they have "clean install" option in the patcher that will remove (legacy) reg key hives and perhaps %appdata% folders/files.

10. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

Just checked my registry and I had 51582 lines of this HUD.ContainerList entries!

agra and Aldo like this.
  11. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Aldo, Umuri and Elnoth like this.
  12. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  13. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Actually, the situation evolved (for worse!) since I noticed that. And your finding is way more important than mine. A random user file can grow with junk almost at will. But registry?... *eek*

Alley Oop and Umuri like this.
  14. Lained

Lained Avatar

I was getting a BSOD on start up that would trigger a restart, so an unfriendly infinite loop. :/ I had to enter safe mode to do a system repair though didn't know the cause, this sound like it.

15. xyphon

xyphon Avatar

Has anyone run CCleaner to see if that helps at all?

16. Aurelius Silverson

Aurelius Silverson Avatar

I know you guys are seriously busy, and have a ton of things to do - but I winced at this one, since the problem was first flagged up (as far as I know for sure) in early December. Seven months on and it's still at 'being submitted for review' is worrying, when it's something that messes about with the core functioning of all our PCs.

17. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Why do we have to wait for a dev solution to our registry bloating? I know that you can get into trouble quick if you don't know what you are doing when messing with the registry. Some here have the skills to write a procedure that can remove this mess. Could someone offer to give us a solution that even computer numbskulls can use? Every time I open a corpse or chest, I cringe as all this data gets added to my registry lol.

18. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I'm annoyed that this wasn't announced more publicly and that I had to find it here at random in the bug reports.

It would be nice if there were a special part of the patch notes devoted to critical issues that may harm your computer, or whatever you want to call it. But this isn't even called out in the known issues section as far as I can tell.

@DarkStarr

Elnoth, Garrett Jax and Aldo like this.
  19. agra

agra Avatar

Yeah, there's a shortlist of things that need to be fixed before July 28th, and this one should be on that list. over 50k registry entries? That is not just a bug, that's acting like a virus.

Aldo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.