Regulations: A Tiny SotA Movie About One Person's Struggle with Bureaucracy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Womby, Mar 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Womby

Womby Avatar

A tiny movie about the constant battle between bureaucracy and freedom, and how one person took on the system and triumphed.

(The original dialogue was in native Novian, and has been dubbed in English - hence the minor lip sync problems. :) )

BEHIND THE SCENES
    LESSONS LEARNED:
    1. Having two game clients running causes too much lag. Apart from one wide shot where nobody is moving, all shots had to be made with only one character, resulting in lots of close ups. This could be avoided with the assistance of another player, had I done more experimenting in advance.
    2. Continuity is one of the biggest problems. Because I had to stitch together interior shots recorded in a building in Owl's Head with corresponding interior shots recorded in the same type of building (but with different furnishings) on the Isle of Ghosts, camera angles were severely restricted.
    3. Original plans to use emotes were scrapped because existing emotes are too exaggerated.
    4. Lip sync is a nightmare. I could have done a better job, but the law of diminishing returns applies.
    5. Even with only one character, the lag in Owl's Head at the time of recording was a challenge.

SOFTWARE USED
    PlayClaw 5 (video recording software)
    CyberLink PowerDirector 13 (video editing software)
    Audacity (audio editing software)

If I can do it, so can you. I would love to see some interesting SotA micro movies.

2. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Well done! Bravo.

I liked how the two actors video were from 2 different days. ;)

3. Mekong

Mekong Avatar

Would you be interested in doing the movie version of The Misadventures of Little Zeke the Sheep Book 1 - The Golden Bug?

Lord Baldrith, Sophi, Rhudaur and 9 others like this.
  4. Deliverence

Deliverence Avatar

I liked that, hope we see more. :)

5. Montaigne

Montaigne Avatar

Absolutely brilliant! Loved the music, voices, and the atmosphere.

6. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Wonderful video by Womby, Doctor Shroud and Sophi :D Looking forward to the next one ;)

7. Acred

Acred Avatar

This was a delight to watch and giggle about - even as I was feeling in awe of the production work needed to create it.

Thank you @Womby and @Sophi and @Doctor Shroud!

8. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Oh fantastic! I love it!

Well done!!!

9. Mata

Mata Avatar

hehe very nice :)

Absolutly brilliant, fantastic!

Thanks for sharing!

Please more of this! :)

Lord Baldrith, Sophi, Rhudaur and 8 others like this.
  10. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

I made this comedy called "It's a Pre-Alpha" about a year ago I'd love to see someone adapt it into some videos I did all the voices and I'm totally willing to make more episodes and expand upon it with more people that want to do voices. The whole thing was unscripted and improv so don't expect anything too high quality but it gets better with each episode after I established some consistency with the three main voices. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/guceq6hdc3u5xe2/AAD_IYLuhjufqWmZor3yY0cGa?dl=0

The three main characters are Kyle, John, and Shugo (I actually don't think I say the third characters name in it so I'm going with this). The basic story line is that they are playing SotA during Pre-Alpha and keep finding crazy bugs that may or may not be to their benefit. Meeting Richard and the Lich King on the way their adventures get crazier with each step.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    Lord Baldrith, Sophi, Rhudaur and 8 others like this.
  11. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

Brilliantt!! Great job on getting the footage, voice acting and editing. Well done. I hope to see more.

Lord Baldrith, Sophi, Rhudaur and 7 others like this.
  12. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

I decided to do a tie in with the video because why not? I'll record the audio for it later today.

It's a Pre-Alpha: Episode 7 Regulations
    Kyle:
    Hey hey guys did you hear about that guy that built all the ridiculous stuff on his village lot. They tried to make him tear it down but when they looked up the laws they weren't allowed to. They ended up giving him all this money because he supposedly made a sculpture and now they had to hire him as a guard to guard his own sculpture.

Shugo:
    Yeah someone was telling me about that that's pretty crazy. They might want to get that fixed before they released the game. All kinds of crazy stuff has been happening lately. Like I'll be walking along and there'll be a house with absolutely nothing on it and then just magically all the stuff will appear.

John:
    Yeah that's been happening to me too. I thought it was just because I forgot to take my medication. But I guess it's just another bug.

Shugo:
    That being said it has been getting a lot better around here. Feel like the graphics and music have improved too.

Kyle:
    Used to be that every time it rained when I was in my house I'd get wet but apparently they finally got around to fixing that. I guess we're getting a lot closer to release.

John:
    That's good I was getting tired of using Fire Magic to dry all my clothes. Some of them even caught on fire or got singed but now I don't have to worry about that anymore.

Shugo:
    Well guys I gotta go get some supplies for the next guild meeting I'll talk to you later. Be sure to meet up at the guild house for the meeting tomorrow.

John:
    OK will do!

Kyle:
    Yeah I'll be there.
    Note: This spoiler text might include typos I fixed in the Google doc.

Here is more in this Google doc feel free to make comments or notes on it.
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/..._i0qy5xJ5umxs0RNYLZF0n0/edit?usp=docslist_api

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  13. Womby

Womby Avatar

14. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

Well done Womby, Doctor Shroud and Sophi !! Wow. It's amazing to see such creativity and ability "in a game"! Creativity is endless.

Hmm, we need more regulations! Or not! I can imagine watching a "sit-com" weekly, bi-weekly, ... whenever. Something to possibly look forward to.

Thanks!

15. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I have no idea what I just watched, but it was well done. The beginning made me feel like I was watching some kind of French film, official #1 really needs to be holding a cigarette. I couldn't tell if you guys were making a statement about freedom to decorate with this film or not. It kind of makes me want to make a counter film about the dark side of hoarding.

16. Womby

Womby Avatar

Please do!

17. finsbury

finsbury Avatar

Terrific! Well done :)

18. Lord British

Lord British Lord British SOTA Developer

19. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

20. Doctor

Doctor Avatar

Fantastic production and directing work from Womby. It was a pleasure acting with the lovely Sophi in this performance. I believe this'll be the beginning of something magnificent!

Plus I love the music, as well as the cow's "MOOO" at the beginning. Truly artistic and creative to involve the obstructing cow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.