1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Release 1 Impressions and Responses

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Dec 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerbox

Kerbox Avatar

Awesome! look forward to Release 2. Thank you for listening to our feedback. This game is shaping up to be the greatest.

2. Red Beard

Red Beard Avatar

Game Physics is my #1 request for improvement. Jumping sounds great!! with every jump you make swimming easier to obtain as well...
    Mouse controls... Please look into the left mouse click... when you click it I think it should move your character in the direction you move, even if you are not moving forward... I noticed it does turn you but only if you are moving forward.
    Also please look at making the wheel in and wheel out view more like they have in WoW with transparent in close and their is something off about the angel you have us at...
    Last request.. upgrade option bar with a video and screen shot tool that allows for direct posts to facebook like I have on my smartphone camera...
    I am happy to see things moving along....

3. Merlin2

Merlin2 Avatar

I would have like to try this version #1 but not able to connect, it would patch and all but always busy try again later!! At the end I gave up trying, very dissapointing!

Artte Darrow likes this.
  4. deadq

deadq Avatar

I think most of us want to be able to jump.

As for the WASD movement I like it as an alt ability but much prefer to move using the left and right mouse button held down together.

Nystyl likes this.
  5. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

The Release 1 window only ran for a few days, last week. The next window will be Release 2, at the end of January. :)

Joviex likes this.
  6. Nystyl

Nystyl Avatar

Climbing and Jumping! Yes :)

7. Cyphrus

Cyphrus Avatar

I wish I could have participated. I tried four times on the last day to download just the installer and it didn't work. I hope you do something to fix the download server. I'm pretty disappointed that I couldn't even download it.

8. Valice Belgraham

Valice Belgraham Avatar

Swimming/walking across shallow waters +1

derek6665 (Baldrith) likes this.
  9. Valice Belgraham

Valice Belgraham Avatar

+1

10. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I only played for about 20 minutes (family stuff). I thought it looked promising and I'm excited about jumping. I have to say that I found holding down the mouse button to change the camera angle very strange. Just awkward (and near impossible on my laptop touch mouse). I would prefer a more standard system (like bethesda games... w/s forward backward, a/d strafe left or right, moving the mouse freely changes the camera and allows you to turn). I guess the key here is that there should be some customization of movement/camera options in the final game.

That's little though.... I'm sure I could get used to the new setup (if I plug in my usb mouse first ;D). The fact is, it was awesome. The convo system shows some real role-play promise. I felt like I was playing Ultima VI again!

11. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Will cast invisible wall on top of my property fence... ;)

Hazard likes this.
  12. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

Let's see...

1. Shadows: This one didn't seem very noticeable to me, or at least not noticeable enough to be a bother. However, one of the things I've found interesting during the course of UO's development (both pre and post release) is how different the game looked and how things were introduced and removed only to be preserved in screenshots and video. I took quite a number of R1 screenshots for this purpose. It will be fun to see the game develop, enhance and smooth out over the course of the process.

2. Jumping: Very much YES! Obviously jumping doesn't work well in an isometric setup like U8 or UO, but in 3d is makes sense. Glad to see it will be added. It was fairly annoying getting "stuck" on the raised corner pieces around the city streets because the character wouldn't take a step higher than ankle height unless specific steps were there. Greater movement range is always a plus and I don;t think necessarily leads to the "need to put in jumping puzzles" as was originally stated. Just keep a tight leash on the concept to prevent it from happening. Surface swimming will be the same as jumping in all regards as well.

3. Conversations: This will be fun to see get fleshed out. Already there's a significant "meta" aspect to the system with Nob's knowledge of killing Lord British and the FireLotus Tavern's barkeep referencing the "hero" of the Demo videos. Please consider more meta-content such as this as it adds a LOT of depth to the game. The loss of direct (text) input was one of U7's failings compared to U6 IMO. While 7's world was more interactive, in terms of conversation, U6's populace was more "alive" seeming. (Though I do admit as a young teenager at the time, figuring out Dr Cat's Nim scam took a little bit of time)

4. Moon's Orbit: Very cool. I thought it looked odd when I first saw it which is why I started a thread on the issue. Oddly enough, seeing a time lapse video made it look even more wrong. Thanks for noticing!

5. Item Density: Yes... this will need to be worked on. If players could force a crash in a small house with moderate decoration, Castles and Keeps are going to be a NIGHTMARE.

Thanks Starr for the communication and openness on what's being worked on. It makes for so much of a better experience than what players have become used to in following game design.

13. alexmreis

alexmreis Avatar

No words on fixing the horrible player models? I'm heartbroken T.T

Really happy to see jumping will be in though. Also concerned no one said anything about animations.

14. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

15. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Yes to jumping :)

And please if at all possible make jumping dependant on the stuff you are carrying to add a hint of realism, maybe it can be affected from potions ? A ranger usually jumps better than a mage, even if the jumping persay has no influence on the outcome of practical elements of the game !

derek6665 (Baldrith) likes this.
  16. EKiN2

EKiN2 Avatar

17. Pendragon

Pendragon Avatar

In the woods looking for a wandering healer.
    Excellent Smithers.

This is good news indeed.

rild likes this.
  18. danceswithstaplers

danceswithstaplers Avatar

I see a House of Pain product placement coming in R2...

19. Rufio

Rufio Avatar

its supposed to be my avatar in game so I must be able to do anything.
    jumping ,running,climbing and npcs understanding me within limits naturally.
    just kidding about the npcs understanding that's another game in its self looks like.

20. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

Actually, I would like to be able to WALK (not sure if it's mentioned lower in this thread - still reading). I like to take my time and look at things and found myself running into walls trying to get into my house.

Ahuaeynkgkxs and Hazard like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.