1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Release 1 Impressions and Responses

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Dec 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

I know they are changing the direction of the pathway across the sky to go with the debris field instead of perpendicular, but beyond that I haven't seen any other adjustments mentioned. Also I wonder how we WILL have phases of a moon that's not even reformed yet.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  2. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Phases are caused by the angle we are viewing the moon in relation to the angle the sun is shining on it. I believe the sun should cast basically the same 'phase' onto every piece of the shattered moon in the sky, as long as they are generally orbiting together. The farther the pieces are spanning across the sky, the greater the phase should change from one to the next. I think it should be a visibly stunning sight, and I really look forward to seeing some solar eclipses caused when the pieces block the sun during certain new moon phases.

smack likes this.
  3. smack

smack Avatar

Now that would be cool. An astronomical event like that could lead to so many possibilities in-game. I really hope they're thinking of doing things like that. I'd be happy if they just got the basic stuff right first...you know, like at least make the background stars move since the planet is rotating :)

At least they've fixed the orbital path of the moon, so they're making some improvement.

Golem Dragon and Miracle Dragon like this.
  4. Kirthag

Kirthag Avatar

Why does the debris field have to change!?

Depending upon the angle & trajectory of the moons striking each other, I believe the debris would form in that way - not necessarily perpendicular to the original orbits. If anything, I'd expect there to be smaller chunks of the moon - and many of those chunks missing altogether - seeing as they settled rather close to the planet. Think for a moment of the physics involved. The planet's gravity, that of the moons, how far off of their orbits a collision they would have shifted, the force of the impact - was one moving father than the other or was it an eventual scraping that lead to a sling-shot warble around the planet? The eventual settling of the moons in their present placement (be it parallel, angled or perpendicular to the planet) would not necessarily be "pretty" - not to mention the absolute trauma to the planet's surface where debris fell. Meteors hold nothing to pieces of a moon falling, let alone two moons!

Now, phases for the new "moon streak" across the sky would be nice. I'm sure the resulting orbit of the colliding moons is much closer than their original orbits - and possibly faster than they were originally. I'd almost expect to see two moon-debris rises a day. Or - I can totally see the planet stabilizing the debris to a fixed orbit just by magnetic forces alone.

Perhaps some great gathering of magick-slingers froze the moons in that way - and the speed of their orbit is determined by the strength of the magic wielded to keep both moon from plummeting into the planet and cause true disaster!

Oh! My muse doth smack the back of my head with ideas!

I love it the way it is, honestly. It is off kilter, unique, and definitely something that grabs attention in the sky. I vote leave the moons where they are. If anything, perhaps tint them a bit as an ode to the the "red & blue" wars that contributed to the schism of PVP. Having them collide is a great metaphor.... for what game can truly be immersive and exciting without a sense of danger from the one monster that doesn't need to be "created" ? - the player.

tekkamansoul likes this.
  5. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

Agreed. Besides the obvious stylistic effect, it's not that hard to suspend your disbelief half a centimeter to pretend that there's something of an asteroid belt and a shattered piece of rock in the sky instead of a perfectly round shiny disc like reality ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.