1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Release 2 Impressions (+ Release 3 Stretch Goals!)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jan 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donferth

Donferth Avatar

So is crafting still gonna be "one egg, one cup o flour, oh look still not a cake lets throw something else randomly out" or is it actually gonna be some what more realistic?

2. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Swimming cool. I hope is eventually be like in Ultima IX where I can go deep sea diving

Silkie and Miganarchine like this.
  3. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

There are ingredients that are required to craft a particular item, but they have taken it a step further requiring you craft "sub-items" to create an item. For example, you need to craft a blade mold to use in the crafting of a sword afterward. I don't know how realistic you're looking for, but personally I don't want to have to put 230947 ingredients onto a table to craft, simply because it may be more realistic. They have to consider time and effort when implementing such a system, and at this stage, it was already a bit too tedious for my liking. It sounds like they are doing something great for R3 though, allowing already learned recipes to be double-clicked in the recipe book, for instant crafting of that particular item. I like the sounds of that! It's basically rewarding you for putting in the effort to learn the recipe the first time, so you don't have to waste time :)

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

Swimming cool ;0), Even better underwater with stuff to find and do underwater. No swimming with armor on else you drown!

Climbing perhaps tied to specific textures like Tomb Raider!
    Vaulting low objects.
    Ducking and hiding, Crouching!, Stealth etc.

Combat movements like dodge and roll. And backstabbing.
    Close combat shield strike and or kicking to gain space. Blocking etc.

Walking with refined slower jog and perhaps a sprint tied in to a stamina bar with the player getting physically exhausted (Like Dragons Dogma), Excessive Combat moves also tied into stamina. Stamina linked to experience.

Just my tuppence worth cheers for the fun Dark Starr.

5. Donferth

Donferth Avatar

By realistic I mean you have common sense with ingredients as well as some npc will know something.. Unless the world has no idea how to craft a blade and we're the only ones by figuring out how by pulling a recipe out our arse... But by the sounds of it.. yes.. its literally 'take one and one.. dont work .ok one and two..' which is just as retarded and time consuming as I think it can possibly get. Seems like 'wish in one hand crap in another ' syndrome to me.. I think I'll trade in my prosperity tools... This is going to be useless..

Don't know why it can't be like uo did it.. Only uo does it like uo did it and majority of people seemed to enjoy that,as well is still this system mostly just less time killing hoping to find a magical assumption.

As it currently stands it reminds me exactly of the same system Lotro had with more tools, sophistication and guess work vs a list. You go to a table put crap out but it had a menu saying 'you can build this. just need x ingredients and x skill'. The way Ultima had it was if you had the ingredients and the tools then here is what you can build. If you dont have it, it never was an option in the menu. Same with skill. If not enough skill it doesn't appear. So it was still a guessing game but it was more realistic that "Oh I got nails and gears and wood lets make a clock" vs "I got one nail one board one gear... Nopes.. Ok two nails one board one gear.. Still nope ok lets go again." That and instead of tables acutally needed forges, looms, spinning wheels, anvils and etc.. Realistic but not more complex... More innovative and creative.. Stuff we dont see any more.. You know.. the very principal this game is supposed to be about while being built...

That is what is lacking. Its just a guessing game and hope for the best.. Where the fun in that? The controls being over hauled is great.. The combat things with cards is questionable but I wanna see it first before knocking... Crafting... Severely needs an overhaul from just an annoying time wasting, no life requiring some what appearing to be very similar to another game skill into something that was fun, exciting, and worth striving for years ago.

6. Mutilator

Mutilator Avatar

Nicer graphics would be good.

7. Deliverence

Deliverence Avatar

Great news to hear about adding swimming and most importantly key bindings this is huge for me as I tend to bind keys that most people wouldn't use.
    The one thing I would still love to see is NPC's addressing me by title, it would be great if this could be added as a stretch goal for a future pre-alpha release.

You guys have set one hell of a dead line to follow pretty amazing that your actually achieving this, hopefully things keep traveling along well for you all as really looking forward to R3.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  8. Tibs

Tibs Avatar

<lifts glass in toast>Looking forward to R3. But what is this toast doing in my whisky?

9. Silkie

Silkie Avatar

Adding support for swimming, I agree that being able to swim underwater is essential to open a whole new game space - space for mining, foraging, critters (innocuous and hostile), quests, sunken ruins, caves, secret access to on-dry-land buildings, and so on. Look what has been done in say Vanguard SOE and Rift where underwater adventuring and gathering is great fun. Some stuff can be done holding your breath, or tapping underwater air vents; magical items (e.g., craftable potions) can allow you to stay underwater for a while, magical necklaces allow you to stay underwater indefinitely, and so on. One thing: inevitably there are limits to how far out into the ocean you can swim, thus how to set those limits. I'd vote for drain on stamina eventually leading to drowning, or invisible shield versus current Elder Scroll Online's beta method where you get eaten by something and must rez at some distant rez point - a real bummer for those who like to explore. Drain on stamina lets you realize you are approaching the limit, turn around and head back to non-exhausting zones. Lot more to say on this subject, but I'll wait to see if underwater adventures become part of the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.