1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Release 36 Raffle Update - Multiple Deed Winner Cap

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Berek, Nov 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

For the Release 36 raffle, we are changing the rules so that each person can only win a single deed of each type (maximum of one place anywhere and one POT). This will significantly increase the chance for more players to win a lot deed that have not gotten one yet.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2016
  2. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Let me the first one to elegantly say...

...WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Next time, announce the rules of the game BEFORE the game starts, not RIGHT AFTER the game ends, tho! ;)

Glaring edit: at the time of my writing, @Berek wrote R35, instead of R36. All is right in the world again.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  3. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

oh god, i´m so anxious !1

Alexander likes this.
  4. Bahamut Arc

Bahamut Arc Avatar

Thats really good news. You guys should hav done this before. Really good for the under the bridge ppls

5. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

This is a great idea, but yeah you can't edit the rules after the raffle? R37, sure but it seems a bit odd to edit the R36 one after people bought tickets, no?

Yup Got it... The one being held THIS release not being drawn now. ;)

Alexander likes this.
  6. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

I really am glad to hear this.

amaasing and Bow Vale like this.
  7. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

We just ended R35, and R36 just started. No one should have bought R36 tickets yet.

Alexander, Kabalyero and Aartemis like this.
  8. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

I deeply appreciate the timing of the announcement of the rule change.

In understanding that there are sometimes extraordinary action needs to happen in the middle of an ongoing business activity, changing or adding them in the middle of a current activity should be exception, so this announcement sets the correct tone for activities like the raffle.

Pulsar and Umuri like this.
  9. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

That's a pretty interesting change.

Sentinel2 and jammaplaya like this.
  10. Sir Leonard

Sir Leonard Localization Team

Hmm... well... Not wanting to cause a disruption, but one real issue with this policy is that it will somewhat turn the odds toward people with multiple accounts. :/

Hornpipe, jammaplaya and Deadly Habit like this.
  11. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I think it may favor those with multiple accounts, but it de-favors those with much more resources.

Someone who buys 100 tickets (I didn't!) may win a fair number of deeds - but spreading it across accounts, even 10 accounts, has much lower odds of multiple wins - imagine 3 or 4 of those tickets that would have won end up on the same account? As soon as you win one account the rest of the tickets exit from the auction.

I think that players with multiple accounts can mitigate their lowered win chance, but not counter it. I would expect this to favour more the players with not as many resources that are buying 1 or 2 tickets per raffle. (*Note, the Oracle by herself gives you enough in a month to buy 3 tickets.)

I'm not going to say this change is good or bad, but I would say that it accomplishes their apparent goal of spreading the winnings around.

12. Womby

Womby Avatar

Anyone who wants to buy another account to give them the remote possibility of doubling their winnings will have to contribute $45 to the game. I'm Ok with that, because it would be good for all of us.

13. Brickbat

Brickbat Avatar

Seriously,

If you guys were in a cardboard box that was on fire, oh there is one side open and you have to lead your clients to safety; I would bet on an epic fail and everyone dies in the fire, because you think the open side is a trick.

If you don't want to do the RAFFLE don't do the RAFFLE. It was poorly designed, poorly advertised, poorly implemented, and relatively poorly executed. Cut your loses and end this ignorance.

With the minimum amount of respect possible (eg. you are humans). V/R Brickbat

Edit - what she said -
    Full disclosure, I didn't buy any tickets so I am mostly pissed off at the epic fails over and over again.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  14. Retlaw

Retlaw Avatar

There must have been only a few players winning all the deeds this go around, we will see soon enough :D

15. Silis

Silis Avatar

What Katrina said was when there was a typo and doesn't apply, they are announcing the rules now for the raffle this release, which no one has purchased a ticket for because the server wasn't up to even try.

On the rest, the raffle wasn't poorly designed...everyone wants some sort of completely fair unicorn of a system that isn't real, this system worked and I know a lot of good folks who got deeds with small investments as a result, I actually spent a couple hundred thousand gold and didn't win and have no issue with that. On advertising, it was constantly brought up in communication; posted via the website, in the emails to backers and in game via the daily message. Implementation and execution...they were easily available in every town in game including POT and required no effort from the player other than purchase, I don't know what the problem is there.

16. UncleBenny

UncleBenny Avatar

This was my first thought.

Rijay and Bryweyh like this.
  17. Nox Haven

Nox Haven Avatar

Edit: never mind, i made a mistake

18. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

If they follow the same pattern as the past two, they haven't done the drawing yet. This change was mentioned in the hangout, I believe, so it's not exactly a big surprise today.

19. Sir Leonard

Sir Leonard Localization Team

Well, looking straight to the math, yeah, it will "lower" the odds of multiple winnings, but i know of people and groups of people that already have far more than 10 accounts (they bought them just to spend the 5$ on telethons to sell off the rewards later for large profits, so it kinda paid do have it), so i think that if they spend 500k on tickets and spread it evenly among themselves, they will surely have a much more larger advantage if i spent 500k alone. So it still favor landlord groups or partnerships more than the average.

But well, i think thats something we will have to live with... the rich always get richer, no matter how "fair" one try to setup the things.

20. amaasing

amaasing Avatar

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!

Tiki Pirate and Alexander like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.