1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Release 38 Addendum: Combat Changes

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jan 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brickbat

Brickbat Avatar

Finally, 8 months into the Free Attack era - a bit of sanity encroaches!

Patch 546 - "Re-added pressing “T” to toggle between Auto and Free attack. Removed option from Game Settings."

Viva Auto Attack! Bless the characters that wish to use Free Attack! All is right in the lands, for a while at least.

V/R Brickbat

2. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Can you elaborate on this @2112Starman? My 26 STR armor now gives 27 STR in R38 (due to the 2nd and 3rd enchant bonuses adding up).

Also, GM armor enchanters should be able too add 36 STR to an armor set now. Previous to the change to make enchanting and masterwork level actually matter the max was 28 STR.

Boris Mondragon and MrBlight like this.
  3. Engel

Engel Avatar

2-handed weapons are already more powerful than 1-handed yes but the cost in focus is high 19 focus for a Crushing Blow i see 21 now the focus rate change ?
    the fizzle seem so high now anyway the game is young we can change
    thank for the post

4. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

This was a long standing issues. Glad to see this finally fixed.

Net and Numa like this.
  5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This is not the case. I tried this out and I will shoot anything that gets within range, whether it has agro'd me or not.

[edit] @DarkStarr, I did more testing on this over the weekend and if say a wolf "notices" me then the red target reticle will appear on it and I'll immediately start shooting it, even if it was trying to run away. It seems to me that I should only start shooting if it's actually aggressive toward me. If it's intent is to run away then I shouldn't start automatically shooting it.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  6. Luca Xante

Luca Xante Avatar

I felt that melee / 2-handed nerf too and it really is depressing. *sigh*

Leelu, StarLord and Alexander like this.
  7. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Hope so. After playing all night my Chain Air Archer is toast. Going from 92% down to 72% on my air spells had me taking off most of my armor.

Leelu, Alexander and Numa like this.
  8. runicpaine

runicpaine Avatar

Change hasn't bothered me at all. I have a few spells that 50-75% fizzle now but I don't rely on them anyway, In a pinch I guess you could just throw a staff or wand on real quick and then change back.

I'm sure the reasoning was less about how to nerf the most OP build.

And was more about. "Ok everyone can be whatever they want!" ...*90% of players chose to be the same thing*......... "Ok Lightning Archers are a bit more powerful and maybe we need to rein em in a bit for now"

My guess is, like most things, these changes were intentionally pushed past the intended to mark and as the other schools and skills get more abilities and combos and they start seeing a better balance, they'll start fine tuning and letting the reins back out and we'll see more changes to the numbers or additional ways to boost or alter our fizzle chances. Like bone armor.

Want heavy armor and air magic right now? Wear mostly bone armor with just a plate or chain chest piece. You lose your 10% set bonus to resist but you'll have substantially better fizzle rates and still have access to heavy armor as your active armor school because of your primary armor piece (which is the chest piece). Granted you potentially could get a light armor masterwork bonus which would be useless to you, but you'd still have impressive resist/avoid (not as much as full plate obviously) and a better fizzle chance.

Maybe we'll see more hats as alternatives to helmets for this purpose also.

Regardless, the changes make sense both lore wise as well as balancing wise in my opinion, they may have gone past the mark, but there are ways around it. You can be anything you want, but that doesn't mean the universe doesn't have governing rules as to why and how things work a certain way. If you want to be the most powerful Melee + Caster wrapped into one, you'll have to make critical choices about what armor you wear, what food you eat, what passives you train, etc. The more categories of things you add to your builds list of things you want the more compromises you'll obviously have to make. Like if you want to be a heavy armor air archer, obviously you'll want bone armor with a chain chest piece. This means you'll have higher fizzle than a pure light armor build, but more resist. That's the trade off. If i just want to be the most powerful caster and I go full cloth armor with a staff it wouldn't make much sense for a plate armor wearing shield toting tank to come in and caster circles around me.

Just some of my thoughts.

Numa and DarkStarr like this.
  9. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

so now called an exploit, but did you go back and look and see who abused it or not? prob not!

Net likes this.
  10. runicpaine

runicpaine Avatar

It's doubtful that specific situation would be enforced as it was heavily debated on weather it was an exploit at all, much less a punishable one (difference being 'unfair advantage') Considering the resist changes that brought it about were 100% clear and intentional. Nothing was working outside of how it was described it should work..... rather it was a mechanics oversight on the ramifications that the change could potentially have in certain situations. It's good they made the new change to account for this now though.

Tiina Onir and Numa like this.
  11. Brickbat

Brickbat Avatar

The word exploit is used way too often.

So there is....
    0.0000001% Reprogramming **** and Jacking with the Client/Data Stream

0.0001% Exploits = using identified bugs in the program or in how things are supposed to be work AFTER those things have been publicly identified by Portalarium as not the way things are supposed to work.

Above --------------- Uzi their entire gaming life, free some of their time up and send them away.

"--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"

Below --------------- Seriously, stop whining about it and leave these players alone.

99% Clever Gaming = using the game as it exists and maybe in unique ways or/with combinations of skills/builds/players/pets/areas/etc. If they didn't want it to work that way they wouldn't have made it work that way.

0.9998998% Accidents = look who the hell knows what just happened - "We're having a Kobold baby honey!" "What the hell!" Maybe try to figure out if wrestling Kobolds can do that!????

I am 100% of the time below that line.

V/R Brickbat

Barugon likes this.
  12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Exactly.

[edit] I should also add that when they discover people are benefiting too much from a game system, they change it.

Brickbat likes this.
  13. Brickbat

Brickbat Avatar

Exactly.

StarLord likes this.
  14. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

Yeah I agree that melee is bugged. Seems like accuracy is down and also damage per hit.

I also use Earth magic and it does much better, especially when it critical hits above 100. Although my Coup De Grace also can hit above 100 as well.

StarLord likes this.
  15. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

@DarkStarr : This doesn't seem to be working as described. My character will stand there getting beat on just holding her swords uselessly until I double-click on whatever is attacking me. It did seem to work in earlier builds of R38, but not in 546.

Edit: Just checked again, it seems intermittent.

16. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Agreed, I played a lot yesterday and was never sure fight to fight weather auto-attack was on or off and it was annoying.

17. Brickbat

Brickbat Avatar

@Tiina Onir @2112Starman

546 Auto-Attack was finally working perfectly again for me after 8 months of nonsense. I suspect the problem is your choice of a weapon with a super short range - I left swords behind because wolves and bears tend sit just out of range to attack me and I was always having to move forward to stay in range and auto swing.

V/R Brickbat

Numa likes this.
  18. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Im still using the 2H hammer with the heavy armor skill charge (forgot its name). I actually end up being to close all the time and have to move back. It gets much worse with charge which always takes me to close (or plain out overshoots the mob period).

Numa likes this.
  19. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

Then why does double clicking start me auto-attacking? It's just not working consistently.

20. mass

mass Avatar

Would be awesome if melee could check a box to get the first iteration of autoattack where you swing at anything in range automatically.

Tiina Onir likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.