1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Release 40 Instructions

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Mar 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

unlearning chainlighting .. means that also Air Elemental disappear? .. how i can unlear the skill? i have toi pay cotos?

Stundorn likes this.
  2. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I once again want the devs to know that many of us playing understand the development cycle of scrum and are completely fine with delays like this. The simple fact is these kinds of complaints have existed since Ive been here and so far you guys eventually get to these systems and they are placed in the game. I truly want to go back a year in the forums and take every post like that and bump it up and say "I told you so... see its in the game now". Keep up the good work Starr (now get fixing Bludge lol).

Jonah Hayes, Alatar, Stundorn and 2 others like this.
  3. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Obsidian Cabalists: These vile beings who follow the Anti-Virtues will now be laying siege to towns throughout Novia, including Player Owned Towns that harbor devotionals to the Virtues! Each Cabalist dons a unique hood artifact bearing the symbol of their anti-virtue, and also wields a unique weapon artifact. These artifacts, along with Cabalist Robes and Cabalist Plate Boots, can be looted from Cabalists if you manage to defeat them. Players can then choose to either wield the Vile artifacts or salvage them for patterns that can be applied to other Equipment.

So they have an unlimited supply of those hoods and artifacts? Because they can be looted again and again. Also the Cabalists can be defeated again and again. So where is the threat they pose? They can never win and we can never defeat them. Is this some kind of hell? An eternal struggle? Groundhog day where we have to fight the same bad guys over and over again until all eternity collecting their hoods which obviously their mothers create doing some assembly line work?

MMOs are sooooo bad at telling stories, creating a sense of achievement, creating "logical" worlds and creating a sense of danger...

Arcanoxer, majoria70, Jens_T and 2 others like this.
  4. StarLord

StarLord Avatar

Huge update (I am mainly interested in the new recipes/patterns)
    You make each release a new experience.

But I have a request: since you are adding new recipes each release, sometimes even with patches in between:
    would it be possible to filter out recipes at a merchant which I already know?
    I would like to only see the few recipes I need to buy.
    (I know that I can move my mouse over a recipe to see whether I already know it, but if there are hundreds at several merchants this is tedious)

Vagabond Sam, curt, Alley Oop and 3 others like this.
  5. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

That would be so nice lol!

StarLord and Chatele like this.
  6. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Sad about rent. Sad about fishing.
    Other then that the release looks solid.

New player stuff is definitly well due and something ive openly said for months. Very glad thats the focuse, and if done right will solve a lot of criticism and frustrstion from new players.

Guild daily announcements next!
    Also reallly think you should re look at a default starting guild. New players helpen new players or advancing with new players, is always more fun and rewarding then some bored pro telling you wat to do.

Anyways gj and looken forward to next one.

7. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

No crowns.

In the Skill UI there is a new option to unlearn, but it is only for skills marked as such which are mentioned in the release notes.

Early in the testing it would only go as low as 40 since that is the requirement to keep skills below, like the elemental.

Sir_Michael likes this.
  8. yobtar

yobtar Avatar

I thought we were going to get a pole arms push did that not happen? If not when are we going to see that?

jammaplaya and ShadeObscura like this.
  9. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

What I hope will eventually happen would be something like having smoke pour from them when they are "killed", and they crumple in upon themselves rather than leave a body. If someone is dead nearby, they might see a wraith-like creature escape. These might not be "Avatars", but they are essentially immortal beings from the ancient past.

As far as them having unlimited items... how is this any different from the endless cycles of equipment we create? They have an entire group of cultists to fashion their artifacts for them, and have had centuries to stockpile them. A few occasional losses are of no real consequence. Besides, other than when you face them yourself, why would an Avatar assume there are others out there killing them?

I do want better storytelling, but I expect to have to lampshade things a bit in MPO. The lore I want to be consistent will be in offline mode.

10. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Thanks for this truly enormous update. Excited about the Unity upgrade too... hopefully this now means I can turn up my graphics and not run into FPS problems and enjoy all of the awesome work that's been put into the visuals.

Speaking of updates, I noted that the launcher/patcher had its own update... anything worth mentioning on the updates to the patcher?

Sir_Michael likes this.
  11. Retro

Retro Avatar

"Best release ever"

Qwark likes this.
  12. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Until the next one. ;)

Retro likes this.
  13. Qwark

Qwark Avatar

Having a very good time with this release. Thanks so much for the hard work. It really shows and has added so much to the game!

Sir_Michael and jammaplaya like this.
  14. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

Hmm i cant seem to find the new large harp / drum on the add on store :(

but cant wait to try them!

15. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

It's easy to craft. Owlshead has the recipe for it and the big drum. It's gorgeous;)

16. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

So now we get raids for 108 players that play SotA right now via Steam... (yes I am excluding those who play without Steam)
    What is the intention of this? To make the game even more of an MMO? Why? To compete in an oversaturated market that is segregated and in which the players already have a "home" in "their" MMO? What would make players switch to SotA? Really I don't understand this. So we get another MMO in a market full of MMOs who are struggling to survive. Whereas the single player market is thriving. The Witcher 3 sold 25 million copies. 25 million! There are about 8,500 people playing Witcher 3 right now via Steam (yes I am excluding those who play the game via GOG). Not to speak of Skyrim which sold more than 30 million copies and which around 15,000 people are playing right now via Steam - more than six years after release... Even Fallout 4 has nearly 10,000 players right now playing simultaneously.

Who is SotA aimed at? A handful of people who can't let go of Ultima Online? Do you really think that the game will get tens of thousands of people playing at one time? Why? Just look at the market. MMOs are not as successful as they once were. Times have changed. Other genres took over the reigns - mobile games, MOBAs, hero shooters, trading-card games... Or take a look at how SotA is perceived outside of this forum. Do you really think that those critics will suddenly praise the game when it keeps going in the wrong direction for them? Take a look at what happend with Mass Effect: Andromeda. Shortly before release the game was heavily criticized and it lead to subpar sales. SotA is heavily criticized even now, months before release... People should take off the rose-colored glasses and realize what is happening, not only with SotA but with the whole market of MMOs.

Sorry, but I believe that the focus on the MMO side of SotA will be its downfall.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  17. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Jaanelle DeJure likes this.
  18. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Thanks for another great release! Cant wait to get work out of the way and play!

/in the voice of Eeyore

Maybe next release then... :-/

mass likes this.
  19. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

"Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues is a fantasy RPG that combines a single player narrative with a sandbox MMO created by a team that includes: Richard “Lord British” Garriott"

20. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

From the Kickstarter site:

"Will this be a MMO? Can I play with my friends?

Yes, you will be able to play with your friends! Multiplayer games encourage social bonds that go far beyond what can be accomplished in a solo player game. I remember the depth of these bonds in players who met in-game only to get married in real life, how people who died in the real world were deeply mourned and celebrated by their online friends whom they may never have met face to face. Though Shroud of the Avatar won’t be a massively multiplayer online role playing game, it will be a multiplayer game. We will be describing this in more detail in our upcoming community blogs."

Pickley, Vagabond Sam and Sir Cabirus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.