1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Release 45 Lot Deed Raffle Winners and R46 Raffle Details

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Berek, Sep 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arcadeguy

Arcadeguy Avatar

@Berek The pictures are still broken for me but the links are working fine with the correct number of \\ this time. Thanks!

2. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Yes, I had noticed that...
    • 2 Row
    • 7 Village
    • 3 Town
    • 2 City
    Does sound improbable. However, as has been noted, some small number of tickets may have been bought daily over the course of the month, and we simply have no real clue how many tickets single individuals have possessed in any given release as the data is simply not available.

I find it highly improbable that Portalarium is acting with malice, or in a less than above board manner, however I do believe it would be beneficial to have this looked into.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  3. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

I don't think it does say that - it says that there were 294 purchases of 1 ticket - whether that was one person making 294 individual purchases or 294 different people is not included in the stats AFAIK.

I did a simulation in a spreadsheet accounting for loss of two tickets per 'round' and got a similar figure for 60 tickets. Purchasing 181 tickets was the point where chance of winning went over 99%.

The Hendoman likes this.
  4. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Ack, sorry, forgot to add the links. Adding again!

5. Michael DragonBreath

Michael DragonBreath Avatar

I'm certainly not suggesting that if anything is wrong with the system, that it was done with malicious intent. I'm just adding to the discussion that it looks as if something may be wrong here, and asking if it can be checked out.

6. mystarr

mystarr Avatar

I agree. I don't mean to imply that the raffle is being maliciously rigged by anyone. I'm just pointing out that the results are getting improbable enough that something may be off.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  7. digriz

digriz Avatar

That Elmo fellow sure seems to of won a lot of stuff. Maybe limit how many times someone can win? I mean if the whole idea of raffles is to help those who cant afford to buy them with real money, one person winning so many lots seems counter intuitive for the reason it exists in the first place.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  8. monkeysmack

monkeysmack Avatar

Ouch! I stopped playing several releases ago after losing almost 1 million gold in tickets and got nothing.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  9. monkeysmack

monkeysmack Avatar

He totally hacks by grinding a lot of gold to buy tickets.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  10. dssandmn

dssandmn Avatar

I'm not surprised. SOTA is heavily a pay to win game at the moment and most likely will be at release. OU at its height was all about RL Cash for IGG to become the best of the best or have the nicest look/house/armor/mount. There was even a real estate website that bought and sold OU home plots for hundreds to thousands of dollars. I don't expect much better from this game.

If you don't believe me then look around yourself. I made a excel matrix and determined that the average cost for IGG for RL cash across 5 different sits and auctions is between $0.00020 to $0.00080 cents per IGG, which means if your a smart shopper you can get 1million IGG for around $200.

Don't waste time getting upset about it. I did before and all I got was angry fan boys and people who love this system nerd raging on me about it.

11. mystarr

mystarr Avatar

@dssandmn I think "pay to win" is really a separate issue. For my two cents worth I don't think "pay to win" is a problem in SotA. I guess if your definition of win is cool cosmetic items in your tax free house then yes, you can pay to win in SotA.

However I usually consider "pay to win" the ability to send the game company money to make me more powerful in the game. The main way you become more powerful in SotA is from leveling skills and you can't really pay for that.

Sure you can buy gold from other players and use that to buy gear but:

1) That's sending money to other players NOT the game company
    2) The difference between what you can do in super cheap easy to obtain gear and what you can do in super expensive "uber" gear is pretty marginal. (Good gear makes a big difference when you are low level, but your skills quickly over take the stats on "uber" gear.)_

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  12. oplek

oplek Avatar

I find the phrase "pay to win" to be too casually thrown around. It's easy to make most games "pay to win" when you can simply define the "pay to win" conditions how you please.

You could define the winning condition as spending no money for in-game items, in which case, SOTA isn't pay to win. Or you could say that you can't win unless you pay to own the game in the first place, in which case it, along with most other games, are pay-to-win.

There's some games like Eve and WoT that give you definite advantages to buying premium currency, yet I wouldn't consider those pay-to-win... because you don't actually have to pay to win.

The phrase has little utility.

13. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Other than inciting negative emotion.

Fionwyn Wyldemane and Barugon like this.
  14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

In Portalarium's case, I think it's more like pay-2-help-keep-the-lights-on.

Fionwyn Wyldemane likes this.
  15. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

I have never purchased any raffle tickets, I already have too many deeds as it is.

But that aside, I see people selling old raffle tickets. Are the chances to win accumulated over *all* the raffle deeds you ever purchased? Meaning, is the lottery based on every single raffle ticket ever sold or is it on a per release basis?

Just curious.

16. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Old tickets have no purpose except for decorations.

17. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

18. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

So, what would happen in a 200 person raffle, if everyone bought 181 tickets? would they all win? Would an occam's razor kinda thing stop it from happening?

THE HENDOMAN

19. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Then the number of tickets sold would be significantly higher than 900 and this would change the chance of an individual ticket winning.

The Hendoman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.