1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Release 48 Major Artifact Changes: Repair, Salvage, Enchant, Masterwork

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Oct 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

I have a feeling that it's not going to be as bad as you think. One would have to farm, farm and farm those artifacts, which I doubt will be THAT easy, plus... the enchant and masterwork on them is going to always carry the cost that it could be destroyed. Just because they can be enchanted, doesn't mean that they have to make the chance to enchant and masterwork the same as it is for a crafted item.

What if you were looking at a 66% chance to enchant that artifact for the first go? Would you risk it, knowing you might not see that artifact again, for a long time, since I understand that those are a bit random to begin with?

2. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Hopefully any new artifact drops or other items that count as an "artifact" will start with 100% durability .. not having these special items start out that way is a pet-peeve..

3. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

Why start at 100%? I think people are missing the part that they can be repaired, just not in the way other items are repaired.

4. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

I don't understand anything in this thread.

How do I play this game

5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I am not sure if you are joking or not but artifacts can be found while killing mobs, bosses, or bought from other players on their vendors. There are many types of artifacts to name a few; Harp of Invogoration gives a buff called 'soothing music' to you and if in part to near-by party members, stats are pretty good but only last a few seconds, their is the the Ankh of Sacrifice and I could be wrong on names but just as an example and that gives healing benefits but uses a lot of reagents to wear and you can wear two at once and then yikes really expensive so I never wear the one I have very often or I run out of reagents.

So these are a couple of artifacts that have been found, actually my ankh was a gift from a very nice friend I have ;). So the artifacts are usually found with low durability well in the past they were and with the changes coming they will not be able to be repaired unless you salvage other artifacts for properties to repair them with.

The changes to artifacts means it will be expensive to repair them by needing other hard to find artifacts to salvage for their repair properties and now the other change is you can use crafting ability masterwork on them to improve their stats even more. Crafting masterwork even at high levels does like to fail so I am not sure how this will all play out.

So maybe does that give you an idea of what is being said here or am I way off base in what you were asking. If I can assist in game anytime I am Majoria and I would be happy to help. *cheers to you*.

Quenton and Gerugon like this.
  6. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

This makes it more important than ever that we players can differentiate between an ordinary object and an artifact since they behave differently. Otherwise we can expect and increase in support cases and bug reports since players think it is ordinary when it is an artifact or vice versa.

Could you please pass on the idea to have Artifacts be listed in the inventory/vendors with a different color. Like Elrond's suggestion from here:

7. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

How do you repair or salvage or masterwork?

8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Take swords for example to a blacksmith table and hit the salvage button to get metal scrap to use on the smelting table when you get ore to make you use less ore to make an ingot. Take bows, axes, clubs (anything with any wooden handle to the carpentry table drag to the table and click on salvage to get wood scraps and metal scraps sometimes. The wood scraps are used on the milling table and on the carpentry table. These are resources you get from salvaging. You can also salvage other items to get things. Like artifacts will be able to be salvaged to get the new things off them that repair artifacts. This is what this thread is talking about. Also masterworking is a skill you will see on the tables.

Like for example blacksmithing masterworking on the blacksmithing table to give extra stats to an item you have made like a longsword. You can visit a crafting trainer by the crafting pavilions in NPC towns to train your crafting skills. Also blacksmiths, carpenters, alchemists etc have recipes you can buy and other players can train you in some things by trading with you. I am Majoria in the game if you need help I would be happy to help.

My question is have you never walked up to a crafting table or tried to craft anything? It can seem daunting I'm sure but once you get used to it then it is not so bad. I save resources like ore and wood in a resource chest so when I'm wanting to craft something I can click the 'b' key to see what recipes I have or walk up to the crafting table that shows you also. Besides the resources you harvest you can also need fuels the crafting vendors sell, like coal, creosote, wax, whatever the recipe says, etc. To craft ingots and some other things you may need molds bought from the crafting vendor also.

Again I can trade you tons of recipes if you like just friend me in game and whisper me anytime you see me online. That will save you a lot of in game gold. I won't be able to trade you some things you will have to buy or find some recipes.

Also if you don't have a place to stay to put down chests to save resources and what you need I also can help I do have an inn for use for players without homes and I really don't want to charge any rent to help other players right now. So I hope this helps you and anyone afraid to ask about things in this game. I know you can look up tons of things on videos, wikis and other great resources this game offers but some just don't want to ;) I do know this somehow lol

edited typos

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    Quenton, Spoon and Bow Vale like this.
  9. Senjut

Senjut Avatar

@Rok_Yrikk Separate question, the rings that make up the Warlock's Chain are artifacts as far as I know...so if you are using them just as rings, they will now wear out and their max durability will not be repairable, right? The Chain is crafted so it has always worn out (or so I understand, still missing a ring to make mine). And I'm guessing you can use a COTO and repair it to max durability. So the rings making up the chain lose max durability but the chain never does, and if you salvage the chain I think you get all the rings back...do those rings have the same max durability they had when they were transformed into the chain?

It's the only thing that is crafted out of artifacts that I can think of.

Basically what I'm saying is this doesn't open the door to taking a +10 fire ring with its max durability down to like 10 and use a craft-then-salvage loophole to get it back to 50, right?

Edit: I don't know how to do an @ to someone with a space in their name. :oops:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  10. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Quoting them will have the same effect.

11. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I just type an @ then the first few characters and a list pops up.

13. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

I asked Darkstarr a direct question on this in a thread, maybe this one cant remember...not heard anything back....we will have to wait and see......

14. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

@Chris
    It's pretty important that the new version of artifacts be able to be major repaired 3x like everything else that can be crafted. If they can't be, it will severely limit the usefulness and risk vs reward of masterworking and enchanting the artifacts. Also, we need coto sinks and this would prove to be a good one. It still gives the item a finite life span and provides a much needed coto and gold sink. Also, it will make crafters feel a larger sense of investment in their artifact that might blow up on a 95% chance to MW/Enchant. The risk of loss during the process of MW/enchanting will be enough stress and loss on crafters as it is (because we all know that things blow up on the first try... seemingly more often than they should). Blowing up something like a Dolus hood, Ox belt, Lich ring, or Sages sash would be a big blow as it is. Why diminish their value even more by limiting their repair-ability as well? Seems downright cruel.

If anything, make it take 1 coto, a minimum repair of 90 in the appropriate skill tree, and X amount of artifact essence but don't remove the ability completely. This is an opportunity for allowing crafters to use a skill they earned and make artifacts even more interesting than they already are.

Bow Vale, Nomalice, Valor and 5 others like this.
  15. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

I gotta agree with this.

Applerust likes this.
  16. Rok Yrikk

Rok Yrikk Developer Emeritus

This is correct

As far as I know, Warlock chain is counted as an artifact, and won't be major repairable with COTO.

I am unsure if you can actually get the rings from salvaging a warlock chain. But, I am 100% sure that besides scrap, you don't get materials from salvaging 100% of the time.

17. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Booooo...Hisss.....

You used to be my new favourite dev...i always shoot the messenger...you have been demoted!

+1

Lokota likes this.
  18. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Mixed on this I remember them saying something about increasing drop rates, its that is so they ive no issue with artis going bad. On the other hand I am a bit confused about salvaging other artifacts for essance to restore other artifacts isnt this as good as coto repairs ?

curt likes this.
  19. Lokota

Lokota Avatar

another mess up you work save hard buy the artifact to help you and not only to fight but to help work your character THEN Bang its taken away from you unless you are god knows what and know where you can get all the artifacts and can kill them easy seems to me they are helping the Elietest not the average player and I figure all this is they wanted to nerf players again what next I wonder

20. Lokota

Lokota Avatar

So why is it you work hard then find on doing somethings it blows up all that hard work down the drain why not lower the rate of blow ups to give the crafter more chance

Xee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.