1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Release 5 Impressions & Release 6 Revised

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Apr 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Numa

Numa Avatar

I think this is the exactly the right time to polish the graphics, it will be a good test of whether the software & game infrastructure can handle the increased load. A step up in the graphics quality department will also bring in even more people at this point and this should speed up the funding momentum.

A delay in schedule was already in the cards before this, glad a more realistic assessment is being taken.

2. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Just because it's not released doesn't mean Backers can't play but get it right for release

3. nofare

nofare Avatar

Lord Darkmoon, although the map issue is addressed in other places, take a look here: http://ow.ly/wk3LD
    (It's the One Year Anniversary Celebration Part 1 video, and it starts 46 minutes in).

It's both Richard Garriott and Chris Spears addressing the map situation directly, and going over some back story regarding the design of the over-world map.
    As far as official, direct response, I don't think one can get better than that, other than, of course, Garriott and Spears coming to your place and begging for your forgiveness.

Your misplaced, all-consuming anger (anger?! really?) over the admittedly minor issue tells me that no response would satisfy you, whether it went your way or not. Case in point, you felt the need to express your seething frustration in a forum thread that came about thanks to a thoughtful, once again community-oriented post by the game's own producer. Few (and I'm being generous) are the games out there where the community and the dev crew are so in touch with each other. And you still need to write multiple posts to express anger (anger?! really?) over ... (drum-roll) the world map?!

All I can add is, ... well, there's nothing else I can say really. Take care.

4. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

First: Sorry for having my own opinion and voicing it...

Second: In the video there was no real explanation. They say that the old 3D map was not immersive due to the scale not being right - but instead moving a flag around on a paper/cloth map is immersive? Am I missing something?
    And of course they explain again why it is a dual scale map. The dual scale map is not the problem! The problem is that the visual representation is totally taking out the illusion of walking around in a "real" world and another problem is that we do not know what we will be able to do on the map!
    So the real questions still remain.

foobard, Mishri, docdoom77 and 3 others like this.
  5. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

Just because you do not like the answer, you cant say there is no answer: video 46:48-47:04

Eriador and kabalyero like this.
  6. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

I really cannot say nothing bad in the old one. I dont know why devs have that bad opinion about it.

Saosis, Lord Baldrith and Sir Isycle like this.
  7. stile

stile Avatar

When i backed the game, one thing i told people when i told them about it was: "another reason im excited about this is because i know if they need to delay it a little to make sure its right, they will".

Dhimmi, Jivalax Azon, Saosis and 3 others like this.
  8. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Actually I read an article about the KS and most of the products there have some delay, its very normal. We were waiting this for years and years, we can do it a little more. ;)

9. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

What answer? Why they have a dual scale map? That was not the question.

The questions are here and there has been no answer to those yet:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...to-be-or-not-to-be-the-map.10416/#post-173924

Also Garriott says that the inital goal was to have roaming parties of monsters and activities on the map. So this is not the goal anymore?

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  10. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and I certainly do not begrudge you yours. However your 'opinion' (anger) had been expressed in multiple threads (map related or not) dozens of times.

At this point you are becoming your own worst enemy on this topic. Even people who support your position are starting to dread seeing yet another Darkmoon post on the overland map topic.

Stay on top of the topic, keep your opinions to threads related specifically to the map issue and give other people the chance to express their opinions as well. Every second post does not need to be by you.

I'm not saying this to be rude or demeaning but as a suggestion which will help the value of your argument. You have become the head or symbol of the overland map topic so don't devalue your own position by making people not want to read your posts.

My apologies to everyone for being off topic here.

To the Portalarium team, I feel that the work you have done so far is excellent and look forward to what you have in store for us down the road.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

11. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

We are working on exactly that! Stay tuned.

Eriador, Olahorand, rild and 13 others like this.
  12. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Not even in the slightest do I disagree with darkmoon on this subject. The Devs have not done right by me in that since ks they showed over & over again the beautiful overland map system with an avatar roaming freely, then they give us a lame flag & a lame map. Go back to U4 map and it would be an improvement from the current proposed map

foobard and Lord Baldrith like this.
  13. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Release 5 was my favorite release thus far! I really thought the spell effects were beautiful. I also think the environmental graphics are better than anything I've played.

Also, hoping for a bit more playtime eventually. Once the release date is pushed out :p can we play a bit more than 3 days a month? I love playing these releases, but miss them direly when they are gone!

I am in the camp of going back to the 3D overland map, but I'm sure you guys know what you are doing!

Thanks for the great news on this:

Ahuaeynkgkxs said:
    Nice work again !
    Please if the release is going to be pushed allow us to spread our payment plan even further, I have a family to feed :/
    We are working on exactly that! Stay tuned.

You guys are the best!

14. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

Wow, it's so refreshing to see this. Too many game companies just rush them out the door and worry about the details later. It's so true about remembering the how but not the when. I can think of half a dozen abysmal launches that I remember the how very well (with a shudder even). Can't tell you offhand exactly the when though. lol. And the sad part is that even after you hear that they've "fixed" it, you have no desire to try it again. Take your time and do an amazing job with SotA and I'm sure 99.99999% here will thank you for it. :)

15. Lordy

Lordy Avatar

ok i'm usually very polite and uhmmmm kind of educated....

this time though i'll go straight to the point: This is a * good news, the whole post of Starr is the light at the end of the tunnel. 100% agree on everything

* edited for language - Koldar

16. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

Good points. I like to think of it like building a house. If you don't pay attention to the foundation and framework as you go along, you'll end up with a cheap, shoddy IDOC right from the start. :) . And detailing it later is next to impossible except on the surface. I know a few games that have done this and it seems they can never get it right. It either gets worse or they break something else every time they try to fix something. I can only imagine their code as a big ball of wriggling worms. Squash one and everything around it recoils. If you perfect and polish each step of the way (as much as possible of course), then you end up with a nice, solid end product. Personally I prefer quality over speed/quantity any day of the week.

17. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

Not sure what this comment has to do with my post. Not once did I agree or disagree with his position. Just mentioned that being repetitive does not help his argument.

Cir likes this.
  18. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Just because he is one of the few voicing his opinion doesn't mean he's the only one with them. Shooting a bear once may not kill it , shooting it many times even with a smaller weapon will. Keep shooting!

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  19. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

Then hunt in the proper area, people tend to hijack topics that have nothing to do with what they are discussing, such as what we are doing now. I will leave this map discussion here and pick it up in one of the 'map' threads.

And again, this comment has nothing to do with what I posted. I said being repetitive doesn't help. People with their own voices should speak up instead of letting one person do all the talking for them. Just do it in the proper threads.

Sean Silverfoot and Cir like this.
  20. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

You totally missed the point. If you go into every thread and cry the sky is falling people tend not to listen to you even if they agree with you.

Cir, Kaisa and Ravenclaw like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.