1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Release 51 Instructions

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Feb 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arcanoxer

Arcanoxer Avatar

Portalarium managed to fix the bugs for Unity 2017.3 on Linux?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    strabo and majoria70 like this.
  2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Linux client will likely use Unity 2017.2.

3. St Drahcir

St Drahcir Avatar

I think my boss is going to pass you a bill for taking me away from my work to read all of those notes :p!

Great stuff there and I can't wait to play around with my new damage increased Axes :D!!

Sara Dreygon and DarkStarr like this.
  4. oplek

oplek Avatar

This desperately needs an animation.

5. Mirjhaf Uth'Mathar

Mirjhaf Uth'Mathar Avatar

Great Great Release... thanks Port for this..

6. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

I think, all of us should offer constructive feedback in any cases we are concerned about to improve content ...
    So did I in the past in a lot of threads ;)

7. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

@DarkStarr - I read through the Instructions and noticed a mistake. The below should replace "Obsidian Potion of Unlearning" with "Obsidian Item of Unlearning":

Resetting Skill Points
    Players that wish to reset their skill points can purchase an Obsidian Potion of Unlearning from Gold Crown merchants. This magical potion that can reduce a skill down to the minimum level and recover 90% of the experience points used to level it. These points are returned to your experience pool so they can be used to increase other skill levels.

[​IMG]

Paladin Michael likes this.
  8. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Another release filled with steps in the right direction . I am very happy to have backed this game so long ago and totally get how we got to this point thru the winding road of development.
    Love the specialization and the addition of the Lost Vale. Appreciate the hard work the team has done all along. Looking forward to Heraldry next release.

9. Arcanoxer

Arcanoxer Avatar

They have to add "Windows only" in the Performance section.
    Currently it is wrong!

Also no mention in the known issues, same for the map feature.

10. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I appreciate your campaigning for the solo-player experience, this experience is important to me. I directly attribute some of the positive changes for the single-player experience to your (and others) vocal efforts. I don't want to discount that you have likely had some positive impacts on the game I play, and I care about the same things you care about.

While understanding that SotA is a very ambitious undertaking in aiming at being a hybrid game with a strong solo player experience and story but with a living, breathing, multi-player and interactive world.

I am tired of seeing these two cherry picked quotes from interviews in kickstarter (and not the entire paragraph mind you to see full context) used to argue that the game wasn't an MMO. But you completely ignore many pages and interviews that talk about the multiplayer and mmo aspects of the game. Many people may be disappointed with the SP experience, which is fair. But they were always open about the focus on multi-player as well.

There are many pages, quotes, interviews talking about MMOs and multiplayer etc. The ONLY difference they state here about Multiplayer in Shroud and MMO in general was concurrent numbers of players in the scene. That was a technology issue, and one they made progress on. Even Richard Garriott has talked about his frustration with MMOs not having story, and he wanted to tell a good solo-player narrative in a multi-player world. Maybe he succeeded, maybe he failed. But the game, even from their kickstarter pitch, had multi-player and mmo in the vocabulary.

You can hate the Offline experience, you can hate the quests, you can hate the game. But stop saying they promised no MMO. You take your proof, from the hours and hours of videos/interviews/pages/kickstarter updates and Q&A sessions - and you totally ignore the instances where they talked about the MMO and multiplayer and zeroed in on two partial sentences as your proof.

Quest feedback, frustration, anger at the finished product, these are fine, I can understand these, whether I agree or not with them. But you persist and persist and persist in misrepresenting the kickstarter despite so much evidence to the contrary located directly in the kickstarter!

Below quote is Update 10 on kickstarter and posted in full text as it was presented to backers - not as partial quotes from an off the cuff interview. Your quotes are valid, they were said (though you missed including context from the interview!), but as avid a follower as you are, it is inconceivable that you only saw this one moment in two interviews and missed the rest. Especially since I have pointed out 10 or more examples of multiplayer in the past from multiple interviews from the same kickstarter that you watched.

Here is one update, in it's entirety. If I wanted to cherry pick quotes like you do, just from this one page, I could say that SotA offers "multi-player online" "very much like a traditional MMO" and "will feel like an MMO". I could misrepresent the kickstarter to completely leave out even the barest mention of SP. Kind of annoying, isn't it?

Sentinel2, Astirian, YZelph and 20 others like this.
  11. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

12. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

13. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

Exciting times, indeed. Way to go, Portalarium. R51 lookin' stellar.

Death/fire specialization here I come. Burn and bury 'em, I say! :cool:

14. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

We will update the known issues now. Our mistake.

15. Lord British

Lord British Lord British SOTA Developer

I'd like to weigh in here too! I am VERY excited to see the week on week and month on month increase in player concurrences, as well as the steadily increasing percentage of happy posts. Please know though that we do also read and consider carefully any concerns people post here (or in any other forum we find them).

We set out to tackle a tall order with this game. We set out to make a game inspired by the virtue stories of Ultima IV, the detailed world interactions of Ultima VII, and the deeply interconnected roles of Ultima Online. We set out to deliver it playable offline and online (with various play modes). I believe we are delivering solidly on that vision. I have played the game myself repeatedly (admittedly with periodic cheating). I have seen how it has come together in detail that I rarely experience in my own games (where I am usually stuck far off in manager land). For this game I have remained close to the playtesting cycle throughout.

Do I think that this game meets or beats all our previous work on each and every metric? No.
    Do I think our game will be the game will fulfill the mind’s eye image that each and every backer had when we started? Of course not!
    It is a demonstrable fact however that this team has worked very hard to deliver the game we clearly outlined. I can say with confidence we did not stray far from that foundation (though it would be fair to say we added plenty on top of the foundation).

Some details of course have changed. You never know exactly what will be fun until you try. You never know what will be more challenging or more costly when you encounter it during the realities of game development.

I have started over as a new player MANY times, with increasing frequency of late (including today). If you have not restarted the story recently, the plot lines and motivations for your participation in the story have been refined (as expected) a great deal these last few months. I suspect many of you will enjoy using your plot reset once the game goes live.

The story will continue to be refined with new conversations, side quests, scene unclones, unique NPCs, and more. All of these will be part of our regular monthly updates! Of course, even if you play offline, you can still get updates.

Don't forget to /friend Lord British when you are online! I'd love to hear from you personally, and perhaps share an adventure in New Britannia!

- Lord British

Sentinel2, Astirian, YZelph and 46 others like this.
  16. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Clap Clap @Lord British . Well said.

I have not liked every decision you and your team have made (no POT offline). I respect you and your team with all of the transparency and updates of what is possible and what is not possible now.

We have four more episodes to make the Ultimate RPG! I am confident in the end, it will be.

17. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

Been fortunate enough to be the fly on the wall a time or two at Portalarium and I can tell ya that nothing matters more to these guys and gals than respecting and evolving the game's core vision, allocating backer resources responsibly, and adapting to constructive community feedback when provided. Even though the old saying goes, 'you can't please all of the people all of the time,' Team Port sure tries hard to do just that. From a player's perspective, it's been an unforgettable ride to be inside the sausage while its being made. And, *if* any of us survive the red, fiery asteroid barreling toward New Britannia - I'll be stoked for the future of SotA. ;)

[​IMG]

18. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

A variation on /vomit, perhaps...

YZelph and majoria70 like this.
  19. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

Super excited about this release! Proficiency is going to be a game changer.

Bring it on! Huzzah!

20. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Congrats on another great release!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.